TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Jamal Patterson is one of the best prospects out there, and I expect the UFC to snatch him up soon. They should also look into soon-to-be KOP Poai Suganuma.

Hey has anyone watched the DVDs of TUF 1?

I did and on the last DVD I don't remember seeing any of the prelim fights. The only fights I watched were the two finals and Franklin/Shamrock.

Anyone know if the prelims are on there and I just overlooked them?

The prelim matches from the finale are on Disc 5: Bonus Materials (except for Southworth/Hoger, which it seems they would like to be forgotten).

The prelim matches from the finale are on Disc 5: Bonus Materials (except for Southworth/Hoger, which it seems they would like to be forgotten).

Why is that?

Because it was supposedly a sloppy & boring fight on a night which had plenty of quick knockouts and action packed fights. Besides, aside from leading to Hoger's stay in the UFC, it's not an important match.

Since this is related to martial arts......

today in Judo I jammed my big toe horribley(may have torn something. it's swelling and hard to bend), got dropped on my head, BUT I beat the crap out of a Brown belt! So it was all worth it!

*Matt Hammil mode*

WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Since I don't really pay attention to anything except the UFC and I don't know of any insider websites I figured I'd ask you guys a "whatever happened to" question.

Whatever happened to:

Tank Abbot(yeah i'm just curious. i think he sucks)

Kimo(sucks too)

Cabbage

Vitor(don't think i've seen him in the UFC for a while)

Isn't Vitor Belfort suppose to be fight pretty soon? I know he was suppose to fight Kevin Randleman, but Randleman had to pull out because on a effection or something of that sorts. I remember they named a replacement, I forget who it was.

Since I don't really pay attention to anything except the UFC and I don't know of any insider websites I figured I'd ask you guys a "whatever happened to" question.

Whatever happened to:

Tank Abbot(yeah i'm just curious. i think he sucks)

Kimo(sucks too)

Cabbage

Vitor(don't think i've seen him in the UFC for a while)

Tank lost a PRIDE fight to Hidehiko Yoshida a while back, there's been talk of him fighting again. I even heard some crazy rumour that Bill Goldberg was a name being tossed around.

Kimo tapped out to Ikuhisu Minowa at a Bushido event I'm not sure if he's fought since then.

Cabbage tapped out to Haminaka (sp?) at a Rumble on The Rock event earlier this year.

Yes, they rematched at Rumble on the Rock 7. While Cabbage controlled the striking again at first, Tank managed to nail him with a huge overhand right, and followed up with a few more punches on the ground for the TKO.

I'm watching some old UFC fights on this UFC ONDemand thing and I was just wondering. When did Zuffa buy the company? Like which event was their first? And when were the new rules, rounds, and all that instituted?

They bought the UFC early in 2001 (I think 30 was their first show), and have been had the rules instituted since around that time (of course, mostly minor changes were made at that time, IIRC, as the UFC had slowly changed their rules throughout their time with SEG).

They bought the UFC early in 2001 (I think 30 was their first show), and have been had the rules instituted since around that time (of course, mostly minor changes were made at that time, IIRC, as the UFC had slowly changed their rules throughout their time with SEG).

I just watched Tito/Silva and they had a 5 round system. I figured that was something Zuffa came up with. I thought UFC before that had like a 12 minute time limit or something.

Guest Brian

Shamrock/Ortiz was the first bout with championship rounds IIRC. I was going to check mmareview as they used to have little tidbits of info but it seems they've gone under.

I know I've asked this before but I want to get everyone else's thoughts that might not have been around when I asked this.

How good was Don Frye for his time? I watched Godzilla Final Wars the other day again and he was in it and made out to be this huge badass in the movie and I was just wondering if he was a badass in MMA?

Frye is one of the more overrated legends in MMA history, IMO. He basically succeeded because he was a decent wrestler when no one knew how to wrestle, and a decent boxer when no one knew how to box. Goodridge was probably his best win, though he struggled with him the second time and it was Gary's lack of heart and conditioning that won him that fight. He got his shit absolutely smashed by Coleman, and after purposely working his UU2 bout with Hall so as to better his chances, still got beaten up by Tank until the fatass tripped over himself, allowing Frye to get the choke.

After his tenure as a pro wrestler, Frye came back at a roided 240lbs, and underwhlemed again. His resume since returning:

- A DQ win over Gilbert Yvel

- A sloppy win over K-1 fighter Cyril Abidi (who would later lose to Bobby Ologun)

- A close fight with fellow washed up "legend" Ken Shamrock (who has lost to every decent fighter he's faced since coming out of retirement himself)

- An win over perennial whipping boy Yoshihiro Takayama in an overrated fight

- A 5 fight winless streak against Yoshida, Coleman, Nakao & Goodridge

- A confidence booster against the winless Akebono (who still managed to win the first round)

- A draw with journeyman HW Ruben Villarreal

Okay, in the future, I need captions of who these guys are, because I'm a dumbass. I know Kendall and Solomon, of course, but the other two?