TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Here's a question. What is that intangible that seperates a UFC fighter from a fighter that fights at the smaller shows?

I mean watching TUF you see these guys that are pretty good but according to the experts none of them except maybe Diego are championship material.

So what is it that seperates these guys? And why are already established UFCers(or whatever you want to call them) so much better than the guys on TUF? And why did they make it there on their own merit without going to the TUF route?

Here's a question. What is that intangible that seperates a UFC fighter from a fighter that fights at the smaller shows?

I mean watching TUF you see these guys that are pretty good but according to the experts none of them except maybe Diego are championship material.

So what is it that seperates these guys? And why are already established UFCers(or whatever you want to call them) so much better than the guys on TUF? And why did they make it there on their own merit without going to the TUF route?

There are a few guys from TUF I think have championship potential, like Josh Koscheck, Michael Bisping, Kalib Starnes, Rashad Evans, Forrest Griffin, Melvin Gulliard, and a few others.

Definately so, season one and two are out on DVD right now, I suggest you check them out man...best show on television not named The Sopranos or House.

Nigga please, The Wire is the best show on TV.

What makes you say intangible? UFC fighters are better in very tangible ways. Hit harder, tougher chins, better defense, better conditioning, etc.

Take the last TUF fight. Guy let his back get taken pretty easily then didn't defend the RNC at all.

Yeah but if these guys knew that's what it took to be a better fighter then why don't they do it? Why do the UFC fighters do it and turn out so good?

That's what I meant by intangible. It's like they have more want, desire, and just overall natural skill.

Definately so, season one and two are out on DVD right now, I suggest you check them out man...best show on television not named The Sopranos or House.

Nigga please, The Wire is the best show on TV.

Vic Mackey and John Kavanaugh >>>>>> The Wire.

I like The Wire alot though, I just think The Shield is better.

There are a few guys from TUF I think have championship potential, like Josh Koscheck, Michael Bisping, Kalib Starnes, Rashad Evans, Forrest Griffin, Melvin Gulliard, and a few others.

Melvin gets his ass stomped in by Fisher, Stout, Florian, Sherk, Franca and Edwards any day of the week.

Kalib? I like the dude but he's got a long, long, long way to go before he'd even be a contender.

Melvin gets his ass stomped in by Fisher, Stout, Florian, Sherk, Franca and Edwards any day of the week.

Kalib? I like the dude but he's got a long, long, long way to go before he'd even be a contender.

I'm not so sure about that. Melvin is an athletic beast, I could see him beating any of those guys with the right training and motivation. He has potential.

I'm not saying Kalib is ready now, I said he has potential. Your ignoring that point.

Discounting an opinion and ignoring a point are not the same thing. Melvin is athletic by anybody I named with the exception of Stout would most likely just take him down and finish it from there. Hopefully now that he's a part of Team Punishment he'll be able to work on his ground game.

You picked Stout to beat someone with Guillard's wrestling background? Common.

Oh, and Franca is a possiblity to lose to anyone with a decent mix of skills.

I have the final. I wouldn't recommend it.

It's historic, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that PRIDE events back then were hideously bloated. It's a major show, but it also tops in at 6.5 hours unedited Japanese footage. That's a loooong show.

Damn. I was wanting it just to see Royce/Sakuraba. I understand it was an hour and probably boring but I think it'd still be interesting to watch. Doesn't Sak just pound him for an hour?

I find that fight really underwhelming. It really seems like because of no time-limit, neither man was really willing to totally go at it, instead they pretty much just changed positions, holds and stuff for god knows how long, until Saku finally got animated near the end. With a time limit, there's no telling how hard they would have went at it. It would have made a shitload better fight though. Nothing like being in the same position for five minutes with no activity because there's no ref breaks, rouds, or time limits.

You can put it on fast forward and not miss really anything until the last five minutes really. I consider it pretty heavily over-rated. For people who like grappling primarily, they might love it...but shit, I like SOME activity and maybe a punch or two.

Does an yone know how far they plan on going with these UFC Classics DVDs?

They're up to UFC 6 and pretty soon they'll get getting to where a lot of famous older fighters started and that might be entertaining for nostalgia.

I really want to know if they're going to do the ones that they don't have on VHS, from the missing era or whatever(why aren't those on tape anyway?) from UFC 22-29. I mean I hear the fights might've sucked during that era but I'm kind of a completist AND I want to see stuff like Ortiz/Frank Shamrock.

Also what is PANCRASE? And is it worth picking any older ones up?

All 5,000 tickets for the 10/10 live special with Ortiz vs. Shamrock sold out in an hour, making it the fastest sellout in UFC history.

The numbers for UFC 62 were 9,589 paid and $3.07 million, which includes closed-circuit sites.

From the latest Observers.

Ken/Ortiz is the perfect example of what I'm arguing in the WWE folder over.

UFC basicly jacked Pro-Wrestling storytelling for this feud, and it's the biggest rivalry in all of MMA right now. Ken, Tito, and Dana are all laughing their asses to the bank.

They're up to UFC 6 and pretty soon they'll get getting to where a lot of famous older fighters started and that might be entertaining for nostalgia.

I really want to know if they're going to do the ones that they don't have on VHS, from the missing era or whatever(why aren't those on tape anyway?) from UFC 22-29. I mean I hear the fights might've sucked during that era but I'm kind of a completist AND I want to see stuff like Ortiz/Frank Shamrock.

At least the Pancrase question! And was Shamrock/Ortiz any good? Frank Shamrock that is.

Frank Trigg will be moving up to MW to take on Jason Miller for the ICON Middleweight belt in December.

And he will lose most likely.

I like Trigg, and want him to win but Miller cant take a beating a comeback.

He fights a Homer Boxing style type fight.

At least the Pancrase question! And was Shamrock/Ortiz any good? Frank Shamrock that is.

Pancrase; depends on whether you mean old or new. Old has modified MMA rules: no closed fist strikes, standing or on the ground. Many fighters such as Bas Rutten, Masakatsu Funaki, Minoru Suzuki, the Shamrocks, Guy Mezger, Yuki Kondo, and Maurice Smith fought in it. IIRC, Jushin Liger and TAKA Michinoku fought once a piece in it. New is more or less Pride rules, with maybe a few tweaks, though I haven't watched a show since Barnett fought Yuki Kondo.

Shamrock against Ortiz was great, pretty legendary fight.

Ortiz/Frank Shamrock was the one fight that made Frank realize that there were no more scrubs to fight in UFC so he retired. Back at around the time of UFC 22 the talent pool was stacked with Henderson, Lindell, Wanderlei Silva, Sakuraba and Frank Shamrock feared real competition.

Frank Trigg will be moving up to MW to take on Jason Miller for the ICON Middleweight belt in December.

I don't mind Trigg but I despise Mayhem's fans who claim that he's a Top Five MW after beating Lawler.

I don't mind Trigg but I despise Mayhem's fans who claim that he's a Top Five MW after beating Lawler.

I hear ya.

But you gotta give it up to the guy, he can take a helluva beating. GSP laided it on him, and he still kept coming for more.

What the hell happened to Robbie Lawler anyway? It seems like after Diaz knocked him the fuck out, he just...died inside or something.

Pete Spratt of all people exposed him.