TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Up All Night With MarvinisaLunatic Part 2 Non Gulag Edition

They don't let us work more than 12 hours a day here. I don't know what I mean by "here" since I'm aware some other departments here have worked more than 12 hours due to emergency double shifts, but we pretty much have the ability to say "12 hours are up, I'm going home now because we're no longer covered by something or other if something happens to us".

They don't let us work more than 12 hours a day here. I don't know what I mean by "here" since I'm aware some other departments here have worked more than 12 hours due to emergency double shifts, but we pretty much have the ability to say "12 hours are up, I'm going home now because we're no longer covered by something or other if something happens to us".

Im required to take a 30 minute break off the clock for lunch (which is why Im there 14 1/2 hours and only paid for 14) and 4 15 minute breaks (not off the clock, supposedly for breakfast, dinner and 2 of my own decided upon times) so essentially I only work 13 hours but those 15 minute breaks often get shoved aside quickly when we have nurses or CNAs barging in all the time because patients want something.

Im the only cook on when Im there and the company has refused to hire extra cooks to allow us to split the shifts in half (there are only 3 cooks) for as long as Ive worked there, so Im assuming they understand the issues with people working 14 hour shifts.

I dont have the ability to leave after 12 hours since that would mean the patients wouldnt get dinner (we dont start serving dinner til 5 pm) and nothing would get cleaned up and put away for the night.

I wouldnt trade the job for anything though, being able to only work 3 days a week and make an almost full paycheck. Not to mention I only live 7 miles away from work which saves on gas and the amount of time needed to get there (I can leave at 4:22 in the morning and still clock in on time because there's no traffic and only 1 or 2 lights which I never hit that early in the morning)

What happens when someone calls in sick?

At this hospital they have a loaded kitchen staff that makes generic things for patients all day and one chef who makes dishes to be served to the public (which could include patients that are able to move around and have money on them) in the cafeteria. After 8pm the kitchen is closed so if a floor gets a late patient or a diabetic needs food or whatever the case, they can get a sandwich tray from an afterhours kitchen.

"12 spoons of sugar, that's bad."

Its 4 tablespoons for 24 grams of sugar in a 16 oz can. Ive seen people, especially when I was in Charleston, fill up a glass of tea with so much sugar that the bottom of the glass had about a 1 to 2 inch layer of undisolved sugar at the bottom.

so whatever.

That quote I posted was from that Stacker 2 5-hour Energy commercial I see so much.

Guest !!!

100% fruit juice is good for you. I like white grape juice and orange juice, personally. It's when you start getting into "juice cocktails" and "juice drinks" that it becomes deceptively bad.

What happens when someone calls in sick?

Overtime for the unlucky soul who answers the phone first, which is why I never answer my phone. Though for the most part the cooks dont call out, its the other people I work with that have that bad annoying habit. In 4 years Ive only called in sick once.

At this hospital they have a loaded kitchen staff that makes generic things for patients all day and one chef who makes dishes to be served to the public (which could include patients that are able to move around and have money on them) in the cafeteria. After 8pm the kitchen is closed so if a floor gets a late patient or a diabetic needs food or whatever the case, they can get a sandwich tray from an afterhours kitchen.

At any one time, theres only 3 people working in the kitchen including myself but not including my boss who barricades himself up in his air conditioned office all day. I cook b/l/d for the patients and L/D for the employees/nursing staff. Its 40 patients and 20-40 employees depending on what we have for lunch and maybe 5-10 for dinner since the later shift hasnt come in yet when we do dinner. Some employees take their 1/2 hour lunch to McDonalds, Wendy's or Subway, but we only charge $2.50 for lunch though so it sort of amazes me why they go elsewhere and spend twice as much or more...but anyway. Guests can buy lunch or dinner for $5 and we get between 0 and 4 guest meals at lunch and dinner.

In all seriousness, that must be one great advantage to being a cook with your condition. I hate hair nets.

I wear an Os hat cause the Health Dept came in one time and stated even without hair it was still somehow a violation of code or something.

I enjoyed our brief conversations in this thread, probably because he can be an open book about his real life antics if you're in the mood to be nosey (like I was about comparing his work place to mine), but being so open is also a fault. I think he admitted this a year or two [(!) was that whole girlfriend amusement park / she thinks I'm a liar because I'm too good in bed ordeal really TWO years ago now? Or was it just last year?] ago that he should clam up about issues that are too personal.

The GF/Hershey Park issue was back in the end of September 2006, and I also went to the Os/Tigers game which I wouldnt have been able to do.

Last year I went with my GF to 6 Flags in NJ and had a miserable time because she wouldnt ride any rides other than the water rides which I hate, and then she would complain that she was miserable watching me ride the rides. So I learned my lesson this year and I went by myself to Hershey Park and to see Glenn Becks show in Harrisburg. I didnt even offer her a chance to go because she hates Glenn Beck/Politics as well. I had a lot of fun by myself anyway.

I started a savings thing for next year and Im going to Cedar Point for at least 2 days, hopefully maybe timed around an Os/Indians game.

My GF wants to go to Alaska...

Isn't Cedar Point in Ohio? And Marv is in Maryland so he'd need to pay for travel too.

Isn't Cedar Point in Ohio? And Marv is in Maryland so he'd need to pay for travel too.

Hotel for 4 nights = $350 (And thats probably a mid range 2 to 3 star hotel at $75 a night plus taxes booked online)

Food for 4 days = $100 ($25 a day which isn't much these days)

Admission to Cedar Point for 2 days, parking = $85

Souvenirs and food at Cedar Point = $75 (I always buy a TShirt for a Coaster I've ridden and Im probably gonna eat/drinlk another $40 worth in 2 days easy )

Orioles game ticket/food/parking = $75

Gas for the trip = $150?? (probably at least 3 fillups @ $50 each by this time next year, but who knows)

total = $835 (and this is just for me, no one else lol)

Id rather set aside $25 a week into a savings account for 48 weeks (11 months) to pay for it then to try and budget it out of my money in my checking account next summer. It should give me about $1200 which should be enough.

It's costing me $280 to go to Baltimore next week for two baseball games, but that's only the known cost (accomodations for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night, half the gas, and two tickets) and doesn't include meals or the cost of bowling. Bowling in a must on our annual MLB Trip.

I thought chefs and cooks were supposed to know about basic nutrition and shit.

We do... just don't try to break it down to one of them who thinks they have found something that can be considered "good".

100% fruit juice is good for you. I like white grape juice and orange juice, personally. It's when you start getting into "juice cocktails" and "juice drinks" that it becomes deceptively bad.

But it says JUICE!

As long as it ain't "grape drink" I think it's healthy...

wait Marvin, how can you ride roller coasters with your condition? I remember you crying about being out of shape, and I told you to try some light yoga exercises and you were like, "I can't, my heart can't take it, etc." and yet you be on muthafucking roller coasters like they ain't nothing, but you can't even do a Yogi Push-Up??!!

Y U BULLSHITTIN??!!

Was the Marvin-Tomberry not meant to say he's close to death? I'm enjoying the comparison between the two, I'm just guessing it was accidental.

She's leaving you for Smues

wait Marvin, how can you ride roller coasters with your condition? I remember you crying about being out of shape, and I told you to try some light yoga exercises and you were like, "I can't, my heart can't take it, etc." and yet you be on muthafucking roller coasters like they ain't nothing, but you can't even do a Yogi Push-Up??!!

Y U BULLSHITTIN??!!

Ive ridden enough roller coasters to realize that its not as big of a deal as they make it out to be, the warnings are put up just to cover their ass so they dont get sued.

Was the Marvin-Tomberry not meant to say he's close to death? I'm enjoying the comparison between the two, I'm just guessing it was accidental.

She's leaving you for Smues

SMUES IS STEELIN' YO WOMINS MAHV! WHACHAGUNNADO?

Marv can you suggest any good bowling alleys in the Baltimore area?

thats out of left field isn't it?

The only places Ive been bowling are local here (which is nowhere near baltimore), and I haven't bowled in a good 13 years since I was in the bowling club at my middle school and we went bowling. I even had my own ball with my name on it and everything.

Hotel for 4 nights = $350 (And thats probably a mid range 2 to 3 star hotel at $75 a night plus taxes booked online)

Food for 4 days = $100 ($25 a day which isn't much these days)

Admission to Cedar Point for 2 days, parking = $85

Souvenirs and food at Cedar Point = $75 (I always buy a TShirt for a Coaster I've ridden and Im probably gonna eat/drinlk another $40 worth in 2 days easy )

Orioles game ticket/food/parking = $75

Gas for the trip = $150?? (probably at least 3 fillups @ $50 each by this time next year, but who knows)

total = $835 (and this is just for me, no one else lol)

Id rather set aside $25 a week into a savings account for 48 weeks (11 months) to pay for it then to try and budget it out of my money in my checking account next summer. It should give me about $1200 which should be enough.

That's a lot of time, money and effort wasted on a amusement park that is hardly worth any of it.