TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

SmackDown Spoilers - July 11, 2008

Courtesy of F4W/WOcorrespondant Richard Garrison:

While I was waiting in line to get into the building, a door opened

next to where I was standing, and Brian Kendrick popped his head out

for a moment to look around. Ron Killings was standing behind him.

Killings never appeared on the show, though.

In a dark match before ECW, Kendrick defeated Funaki. Kendrick came

out and introduced a new 2nd, a large man dressed in all white. I

have no idea who he was, but facially I thought he resembled the late

Bad News Allen. The 2nd distracted Funaki just long enough for

Kendrick to roll him up from behind for the pin.

When the announcers were introduced before ECW, I thought it was

interesting that they introduced Taz “with Mike Adamle”. They both

came out at the same time to Taz’s old music and video. I guess

putting the emphasis on Taz is an attempt to keep the fans from booing

Adamle.

Smackdown opened with Edge coming out for a promo. He said the

wedding was still off, which brought a roar of approval from the

crowd. He said he wants to prove at the Great American Bash that he

can become champ again without Vicki’s help. Curt Hawkins and Zack

Ryder wheel out Vicki Guerrero, who announced Edge would face the Big

Show in a no-DQ match in tonight’s main event.

Shelton Benjamin defeated Matt Hardy in a non-title match.

Backstage Hawkins and Ryder pledged their loyalty to Vicki and asked

for a rematch against Jesse & Festus.

MVP came to ringside for commentary during a match between Mr. Kennedy

and Domino. After Kennedy defeated Domino, MVP distracted Kennedy to

allow Umaga to attack Kennedy from behind, laying him out with the

thumb to the throat.

Backstage Chavo Guerrero with Bam Neely was talking to Edge. Chavo

said he and Edge would always be family, and he was going to go give

Vicki a piece of his mind.

Fit Finlay & Hornswoggle defeated Miz & John Morrison in a non-title

match. The midget got a ludicrous amount of offense in on the tag

champs.

Backstage Chavo played up to Vickie, calling Edge a liar, and said the

Guerreros have to stick together. Vickie said “Chavo, CUT THE CRAP!”

and put him in a match vs. HHH.

HHH defeated Chavo Guerrero in a non-title match. Chavo actually got

a little offense in here and there.

Natalya & Maryse defeated Michelle McCool & Cherry. After the match,

Natalya attacked McCool and gave her a snap suplex on the floor.

Jesse & Festus defeated Hawkins & Ryder via count out. Hawkins &

Ryder stood outside the ring purposely to get counted out. Then, when

the bell rang to end the match, and Festus went docile, they beat down

Jesse, then went after Festus. Jesse finally rang the bell to once

again energize Festus, and Hawkins & Ryder ran.

Vladimir Koslov defeated Stevie Richards with a headbutt to the back

of the neck. They finally gave Koslov entrance music.

Backstage all the members of La Familia were arguing when Vickie came

in and told Edge to get out there and take his beating by the Big Show

like a man.

Edge vs. Big Show started with Vickie watching from the stage, but

part way through the match, Hawkins & Ryder wheeled her down to

ringside. This was by far the best match on the show, with a lot of

brawling outside the ring, as well as the use of a kendo stick and

chairs. Late in the bout Edge tried for a conchairto on Show, but

from the mat Show suddenly grabbed Edge by the throat, stood up and

gave him a choke slam. Then Show decided to set up Edge for a

conchairto of his own, but right before he brought the chair down on

Edge’s head, Vickie screamed to stop the match. She got out of her

wheelchair and climbed into the ring to tend to Edge, telling him she

loves him, and next thing you know, they were making out. Edge than

asked her to marry him, she said yes, and he said they should do it

next week. All of La Familia came out to celebrate as the show ended.

That re-engagment seems a bit rushed, but it makes sense. I know Alvarez was jonseing for the angle to "outdo TNA at their own game" by doing the Kurt/Karen storyline to screw HHH, but HHH seems quite independent from their storyline. That probably sounds weird since the big title match at the Bash is Edge vs. HHH, but I actually view the Edge/Vicki wedding and the Edge/HHH feud as two different story threads right now. Perhaps they will come together on the 7/18 show before the Bash when HHH shows Edge footage for him marrying a passed out Vicki Guerrero?

What's this?

Jesse & Festus defeated Hawkins & Ryder via count out. Hawkins & Ryder stood outside the ring purposely to get counted out. Then, when the bell rang to end the match, and Festus went docile, they beat down Jesse, then went after Festus. Jesse finally rang the bell to once again energize Festus, and Hawkins & Ryder ran.

Logic?

Vladimir Koslov defeated Stevie Richards with a headbutt to the back of the neck.

Logic AND continuity?

Who booked this? It...makes sense.

I will not be pleased if Vlad has some generic rock or what have you as his theme. Ideally it would be Tetris music, but I'd accept anything Russian sounding played on a horn. At the very least, ominous sounding. He cannot become just another hoss.

I really had no idea that Stevie Richards is still employed by WWE. I'm a bit shocked, because I thought Stevie had been released a long time ago.

Fuck that! Stevie needs to take advantage of Vince being out and make himself the acting GM of Raw!

I will not be pleased if Vlad has some generic rock or what have you as his theme. Ideally it would be Tetris music, but I'd accept anything Russian sounding played on a horn. At the very least, ominous sounding. He cannot become just another hoss.

Hopefully they stick with this one, as I think it still fits pretty well.

I really had no idea that Stevie Richards is still employed by WWE. I'm a bit shocked, because I thought Stevie had been released a long time ago.

Stevie is probably a lifer at this point.

The unknown second with Spanky was developmental Ryklon Stephens who was playing the bodyguard role it seems. Is Ryklon's gimmick supposed to be based off of Suge Knight?

l_6b792db014a06475bb874cded6b6a56f.jpg

(photo taken from prowrestling.net)

Chavo has a bodyguard, Spanky might have a bodyguard and Santino was rumored to get a bodyguard...

Chavo has a bodyguard, Spanky might have a bodyguard and Santino was rumored to get a bodyguard...

Maybe they're trying to have a Batista repeat.

And speaking of entrance music, after following the link Exslade ZX provided, wouldn't this -

- have made a much better entrance music for John Morrison than the Hendrix rip-off he has now?

Also I think the one week wedding call-off was done to give Edge the excuse to say "we were on a break/broke up" when the Alicia/Edge sex tape finally turns up (probably in the hands of HHH).

Sounds like a pretty good show overall. Somebody is finally taking advantage of the whole bell-ringing gimmick with Festus. Koslov getting entrance music is a move in the right direction (if it isn't generic rock as previously mentioned), now he just needs to put on red trunks instead of the diaper white ones. Stevie desperately needs to go back to wrestling in cut-offs and even the crop top - Serious Steven isn't nearly as compelling as fun-lovin' Stevie. In the very least fun Lovin' Stevie could be interesting enough to be a Val Venis level jobber to the stars. Benjamin beating Hardy is interesting, Finlay and Hornswoggle beating Miz and Morrison is not. Chavo playing both sides and getting caught and then put in a match with HHH isn't bad on paper.

Also I think the one week wedding call-off was done to give Edge the excuse to say "we were on a break/broke up" when the Alicia/Edge sex tape finally turns up (probably in the hands of HHH).

Good call. Gives them a lot of openings as to where Edge/Vickie goes from there.

Stevie Night Raw!!

If you think about it, Stevie Night Raw would extremely work right now. Raw's already in chaos because there's no GM, what's stopping Stevie from just showing up on Raw and saying "I'm the new GM!"?

Stevie Night Raw!!

If you think about it, Stevie Night Raw would extremely work right now. Raw's already in chaos because there's no GM, what's stopping Stevie from just showing up on Raw and saying "I'm the new GM!"?

Even if it was exposed as a lie the next week. He could fake a letter from "Board of Directors" and maybe even have a doctored vid from Linda McMahon saying Stevie is the new GM. Stevie just makes crazy matches with no rhyme or reason for the whole show, weird gimmick matches and such and then gives himself a title shot against Punk.

Stevie Night Raw!!

Even if it was exposed as a lie the next week. He could fake a letter from "Board of Directors" and maybe even have a doctored vid from Linda McMahon saying Stevie is the new GM. Stevie just makes crazy matches with no rhyme or reason for the whole show, weird gimmick matches and such and then gives himself a title shot against Punk.

That really would be the best Raw ever.

And speaking of entrance music, after following the link Exslade ZX provided, wouldn't this -
- have made a much better entrance music for John Morrison than the Hendrix rip-off he has now?

WWE might as well go all the way with the Jim Morrison rip-off character.

Hopefully they stick with this one, as I think it still fits pretty well.

I was at the show, and live that was not the music they used. It almost sounded like they used 15-20 seconds of that link as an intro, then added some badass heavy guitar on top of it. It was quite rockin'.

Also, two things to watch for on TV... 1) Kennedy's DEATH KICK OF DOOM to Domino (live it looked like he killed him, which probably means it'll look good on TV, just better protected) and 2) Near the finish, Matt Hardy/Shelton botched a spot where Hardy ducked Shelton's spinning kick, then jumped on Matt like he was supposed to be power slammed, but they kind of backed into the ropes and Hardy awkwardly dropped Shelton.

I kept wondering where my Jeff Hardy/Carlito match was, but I guess they had to make room for another Finlay/Hornswoggle v. Miz/Morrison match.

They should make Kendrick's second look like Kimbo Slice. He already has the beard, the biceps, and the bling. Give him skullet dreads, a do-rag, and a cigar and you're all set.

I almost don't want the Edge/Vicki stuff to end. Cause I have a feeling once they have Edge start nailing Victoria Crawford his heat and career are going to go straight to hell. Anyone else feel the same way?

I almost don't want the Edge/Vicki stuff to end. Cause I have a feeling once they have Edge start nailing Victoria Crawford his heat and career are going to go straight to hell. Anyone else feel the same way?

Edge has no problem keeping heat, Vickie however, is a whole other story.

No because it changes the dynamic of Edge's character. I kind of see what he's talking about, with Edge possibly being pigeonholed as just some scum with a penis that does the thinking for him. Doesn't really ring as a professional wrestling gimmick as well as someone like Rude, who's gimmick was blatantly meant to be like that.

I've determined after years of reading spoilers that I write the best ones ever (so always look forward to SD tapings from Joe Louis Arena). Well, except the laptop nerd that TNA banned from the building. But he brought a friggin laptop with him! I roll old school with a pen, paper, and digital photos to match it all up.

I've determined after years of reading spoilers that I write the best ones ever (so always look forward to SD tapings from Joe Louis Arena). Well, except the laptop nerd that TNA banned from the building. But he brought a friggin laptop with him! I roll old school with a pen, paper, and digital photos to match it all up.

Pfft, that's weaksauce. All my reports are done via the power of memory. And most of them done with the hazyness of a multiple hour car ride as well. Although most of the time my reports do tend to ramble on about shit that only I would care about.

I hear that, brother. A 2003 house show report I wrote included an intermission report about me only finding Canadian change in my pocket when going to buy a soda. I used to do them by memory (and I believe the Heat / Off-air notes for the last Raw I went to was all from memory) but found it was easier to have some form of written back-up.

Hell, in my last report, I spent the better part of it writing about a CARDBOARD BOX.

I already know I'm going to 3 shows in the next month (CWA on 7/26, TNA on 7/27, and CWA again on 8/8) so maybe I won't fill my reports with the ongoings of an inanimate object?

I'll reserve judgment until after the PPV, but the Vickie/Edge thing is heading right in a TNA direction with the quick change on TV without a swerve at the PPV. They'll probably break up again next week at the wedding. Because wrestling weddings are always f'ed up.