TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

WWE Raw (7/14/2008)

I knew I wasn't just imagining something with London training at Michaels' academy at least, just didn't quite know who trained him. Like they couldn't say he is a student anyway....I mean who even knows that off hand?

I was hoping for a Bret/Diesel finish to Punk/Batitsta at the PPV, but I think we're more likely to get the Feb. IYH from 1996 finish than the Survivor Series 95 finish. As in Kane will be in the role of his brother, costing Batista the match. Or maybe Kane will just attack both men.

There's a potentially hilarious storyline with Kane and Punk that they hinted at last night. Why not have them still be semi buddies, playing off their ECW background? Kane can be a total psycho nutjob and help Punk retain the belt, while Punk is creeped out by the guy. This can finally pay off with Punk having to overcome the creepy fear he has of Kane and thus beats him in a match.

Was it just me or did Ted Jr. cut a really good promo on Jim Duggan, of all people?

Yeah, not bad. I liked the speech he gave about Duggan's chances of ever holding a championship.

I knew I wasn't just imagining something with London training at Michaels' academy at least, just didn't quite know who trained him. Like they couldn't say he is a student anyway....I mean who even knows that off hand?

I was hoping for a Bret/Diesel finish to Punk/Batitsta at the PPV, but I think we're more likely to get the Feb. IYH from 1996 finish than the Survivor Series 95 finish. As in Kane will be in the role of his brother, costing Batista the match. Or maybe Kane will just attack both men.

There's a potentially hilarious storyline with Kane and Punk that they hinted at last night. Why not have them still be semi buddies, playing off their ECW background? Kane can be a total psycho nutjob and help Punk retain the belt, while Punk is creeped out by the guy. This can finally pay off with Punk having to overcome the creepy fear he has of Kane and thus beats him in a match.

No. Punk shouldn't need help retaining the belt. He needs to beat Batista clean this Sunday. Nothing else is acceptable, he needs a decisive win.

I'm sorry but I can't compare that ending to anything the WWE's done before, that was full on attempted murder and it was HILARIOUS.

I thought Raw was good, they could of done a little more with Kane and his bag but if it's a return to the mask I don't mind if they drag it out a little. Everything else was well done and did a lot to get characters over, aside from Crime Tyme, poor bastards.

I thought Punk was handled well, he's a new Champion, under-sized compared to a lot of ME's, and Batista is supposed to be Goldberg-levels of powerful. I don't exactly expect him to hold his own after a 15 minute match with Kane, which he won in case anyone wants to forget. I'd like to see him cheat to beat Batista, maybe leading to a Eddie-esque do what ever you have to do to win run.

Overall good show, and a lame attempted murder angle couldn't even hurt it.

It's obvious that Raw went with the crazy car shit to end Raw because of what Steph and Shane said to start the show. They wanted everyone to be somewhat nice to each other and something like Cena getting thrown out the building was a big no no. So I guess trying to kill a fellow wrestler is going to being repercussions in terms on a new GM next week. I guess it'll be a face since JBL has to be punished for that action. Probably a handicap match vs. Cryme Tyme.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, don't think so but, from WWE.com:

"JBL took his hatred for Cena to new heights on RAW, luring the Chain Gang Commander to the parking lot where he appeared to crash his car into Cena's prone body. WWE.com has learned that Cena was grazed and escaped the attack."

You know, the logic in those McMahon things at the start of the show escapes me.

They say they want everyone to "get along". So what, they don't want people to wrestle?

And 4 guys getting together and deciding to have a match to determine the #1 Contender? That's not getting along?

I mean, I kinda see what they're going for, but at the same time, RAW's been awesome without a GM, and I hope one never ever comes back. Like, shit, virtually every segment, if it didn't involve a match, ended with someone being booked into a match. Nobody just talked for 20 minutes and nothing came of it. Even the Hacksaw segment ended with JBL being impressed by the tag champs, so he offered them the main event spot.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, don't think so but, from WWE.com:

"JBL took his hatred for Cena to new heights on RAW, luring the Chain Gang Commander to the parking lot where he appeared to crash his car into Cena's prone body. WWE.com has learned that Cena was grazed and escaped the attack."

Grazed by a car? Bring on the HUSTLE.RESPECT band-aid tie-ins just in time for the bash!

I'm sorry but I can't compare that ending to anything the WWE's done before, that was full on attempted murder and it was HILARIOUS.

They've done tons of shit like this before and they've executed it better than last night.

I'm glad it was mentioned but what exactly do Shane and Steph want these guys to do? Do they not want anyone to feud and create tension and conflict? Do they want everything to be like SummerSlam 1992 with everyone hugging and squeezing each other (not that that is a bad way to book sometimes)?

What I find curious is that with the notion that these shows are anarchic and lawless, look what we've had the past 3 weeks. We've seen Jericho DQed for simply pulling tights, which warrants a break and not much else. We've seen JBL and Co. DQed over JBL simply breaking up a submission attempt. If anything it seems like there is an overly strict enforcement of rules, not anarchy.

Venkman: your comment about heel women...well, they still have Jillian...

Yeah I realized that somewhere in the middle and didn't bother fixing my previous statement.

I rationalized the refs as being part of the disorder. Either there's no one around to enforce a set of standards for all referees, resulting in the inconsistency, or because there's no one around, they feel the need to take it upon themselves to try and restore order.

I'd have liked to see martial law last a bit longer rather than end next week, which is what'll seemingly happen. Maybe a month or so with a bunch of guest GMs coming in and failing to restore order might've been fun, leading to the restoration of Regal in time for SummerSlam.

Jericho vs London annoyed me, actually. Why didn't they acknowledge London as a student of HBK? I don't care if he looked up to him as a kid and when you have Lance Cade out there, make this meaningful! I also didn't care for London's sneakers - did he find out he was wrestling 10 minutes before showtime? The post match angle this set up could be good though.

They didn't mention it because London isn't a student of Shawn. It doesn't matter in the feud itself, if they want to say it, they can. Most people believe that is the case anyways.

Somehow I thought he was. That would be Spanky, though. Carry on!

The best sign was "SANTINO FEARS LUIGI", complete with a picture of Luigi from the SMB Supershow. I believe that was on the barricade the entire match.

I actually thought the best sign out there was "I DON'T GIVE A SNITSKY" I think I saw at some point.

So......why is Kane carrying around the bag again? They just say "ooooh, mysterious bag!" and no other explanation. He didn't even make it seem important except that he was carrying it all night. They should have let him be all emotionally unstable for a few more weeks and then bring out the bag on the night he would explain everything.

CM Punk should get help from Kane, turning heel, and helping out Kane in whatever the hell he needs to return the favor. This title reign ain't gonna work as a face.

I find it funny that when TNA books an Impact like this,(especially the opening 15-20 minutes), a lot of people criticize it as "too much happening at once", and "nothing sinking in", while when WWE basically does it, it's cool, and a really good show. Nevertheless, I'm loving what they've been doing for the past few weeks, and am hoping that if they get a G.M. or some type of authority figure soon, they won't use it as an excuse to go back to the same boring, paint by numbers program we have seen for so long.

No. No, no, no, no no. No. No. There is no reason to throw in that shot in the beginning. None at all. TNA does it almost every show, which is way too much. WWE never does it anymore, and if they started doing it every week, it would get old quick. If you can't see the difference between two dramatically different companies, then I don't know what to tell you.

I did realize I was enjoying the opening segment far too much for what was basically an Impact style "Cram everything together in one segment" deal, but the difference on Raw was this was the exception, not the rule. It was different for WWE programming and was used to show the chaos that was running wild.

I find it funny that when TNA books an Impact like this,(especially the opening 15-20 minutes), a lot of people criticize it as "too much happening at once", and "nothing sinking in", while when WWE basically does it, it's cool, and a really good show. Nevertheless, I'm loving what they've been doing for the past few weeks, and am hoping that if they get a G.M. or some type of authority figure soon, they won't use it as an excuse to go back to the same boring, paint by numbers program we have seen for so long.

No. No, no, no, no no. No. No. There is no reason to throw in that shot in the beginning. None at all. TNA does it almost every show, which is way too much. WWE never does it anymore, and if they started doing it every week, it would get old quick. If you can't see the difference between two dramatically different companies, then I don't know what to tell you.

I do see what your saying, but given the choice of going "back to normal" on Raw with the formula, nothing happening, predictable booking they've done in seemingly forever, vs the unpredictable, anything can happen, attitude-era like t.v. they produced in the past few weeks, I think I'll take my chances on getting tired of the latter. Something tells me not everyone would disagree. Problem is I don't think the writers have what it takes to keep this frenzied pace up for too much longer, so I'll enjoy it while I can.

The July 14th edition of Monday Night Raw last night drew a 3.2 rating, which is down from the 3.5 it has had the last three weeks.

Waiting for people to blame Punk in 3...2...