Cubs (Ryan Dempster) at Brewers (Manny Parra), 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

Angels at Yankees, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Brewers at Braves, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

White Sox at Royals, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

SUNDAY

Angels at Yankees, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, TBS

Phillies at Cardinals, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

The Phillies have sold out essentially all but two games since May 30. They are on pace to set a new attendance record this season, which they set in 2004. I find it amazing they draw more people now then they ever did when their stadium held 20,000 more people.

This is important because it gives them the money to sign more quality pitchers like Adam Eaton.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Jeff Samardzija being brought up and getting his first save yesterday for the Cubs.

I don't think Lou plans to use him in save situations until Wood comes back, but it is nice to see that for now, there's another semi-reliable arm down in the pen. Lord knows something in my apartment was going to get damaged if I had to see Bob Howry cough up another lead.

Hey Dandy, as the resident Reds expert do you foresee the team trading off any veteran talent as the trade deadline approaches? Seems to me as if the season is lost after the recent 4-6 homestand, capped by that awful 11-0 loss to the Rockies last night.

I'm no expert, just a long-time fan.

They should be trying to move some people, but it will be hard. A lot of teams are not wanting to give up the talent the Reds want in return for some of the obvious choices to be moved on this team. There are going to be as many as 13 free agents for the Reds in the offseason, and some of them would be good fits for teams trying to push into the postseason. However, I believe the Reds will try to hold on to and re-sign some of those players (Affeldt, Lincoln), and find no willing trade partners for those that they would let go (Weathers, Dunn, Arroyo). Griffey is going to get absolutely no looks due to his down year and the fact that he is near the end of his run. Freel is hurt, otherwise he could be a good utility man for a club. There just isn't a lot they can do, not by lack of trying.

This Reds ownership wants to compete and wants to build toward the future, but it's unlikely they will be able to find teams that will accept their demands. Look for Dunn to stay and be offered arbitration. If anyone moves, it could be Arroyo, though I say he ends up staying and we try to move him in the offseason.

Yea, I'm interested in what happens to Griffey after this season. I don't see him staying in Cincinnati, but I don't know where he could go after that. I know there will be buyers on the free agent market, but I suppose it would depend on what they offered in terms of playing time because Griffey still wants to play the outfield and is not content to sit around as a DH.

Guest Vitamin X

Just out of curiosity because I'm more of a casual fan than a lot of you guys so I figure someone might know this (al), but with all the talk of the Rays' turnaround this season, what's actually been the biggest turnaround for a Major League team ever, record-wise?

I believe it was the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 1999 season when they first made the playoffs.

Edit: It looks like that's correct. The 1999 Arizona team went 100-62, a 35 game turnaround from 65-97 in 1998. The second biggest was 34 1/2 games by the 1903 NY Giants who went from 48-88 in 1902 to 84-55 in 1903.

Guest Vitamin X

So if the Rays win 101 games this year, they would tie the D-Backs for the biggest turnaround ever. Crazy; they still have 40 games to go to reach that point (are there even that many games left?) so I doubt it's possible. Still an interesting fact to know, thanks.

Dmitri Young has missed games due to diabetes, he now needs to get the disease under control. I'll leave the fat jokes behind, I really hope he can get a handle on things, and as long as he doesn't act foolish it's not a hard thing to do.

Posada's done for the year.

I hope the next few days aren't full of as many "Will Manny be traded?" stories as there are "Will Favre be traded?" stories because I might just have an aneurysm if that's the case.

Boston Media Fabrication Machine is in full swing with the Manny Smear campaign so get used to it. He's not going anywhere. Even through all the garbage being said lately I still think they will pick up his options...much to his and Boras' dismay.

Please. This ownership group would ship this guy anywhere if they could get anything close to market value to get that albatross of a contract off their backs. They are as sick of "Manny Being Manny" as I have become. Plus, he's on the decline, so he's nowhere near $20 million. They'll pick up his '09 option and ship him out at the trading deadline (in '09).

Edited by KingPK

Hey Dandy, as the resident Reds expert do you foresee the team trading off any veteran talent as the trade deadline approaches? Seems to me as if the season is lost after the recent 4-6 homestand, capped by that awful 11-0 loss to the Rockies last night.

Today the Reds officially pulled Bronson off the market due to shitty offers. They said they aren't interested in dealing him anymore.

Reds take Arroyo off the market

Monday, July 28, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Jayson Stark

The Reds have informed other clubs that they are no longer interested in trading pitcher Bronson Arroyo. Only the Yankees and Rockies were known to have demonstrated even mild interest, anyway. But the Reds apparently were finding that the $24 million Arroyo has coming through 2010 was going to keep them from getting any worthwhile return. And the Reds weren't particularly motivated to eat any sizeable hunk of that salary. So Arroyo, who has been lobbying to stick around, will get to finish the season in Cincinnati. But he may not have heard the last trade rumor of his Reds career.

Justin Morneau & Denard Span both go yard in the same inning VS the White Sox. It was Span's first career home run.

Shoulder tightness... doesn't sound good, at the very least.

And holy shit, Denard Span is in the major leagues now? I remember hearing about him years ago...but never thought he'd make it.

Hypothetical situation here... of course, but if you had a 2B on your team who is capable of hitting 40 HRs every year, but he strikes out a lot and fields like a little leaguer... would you want him on your favorite team?

Hypothetical situation here... of course, but if you had a 2B on your team who is capable of hitting 40 HRs every year, but he strikes out a lot and fields like a little leaguer... would you want him on your favorite team?

Assuming there's no Utley, Howard, etc. I'd take him and move him to first base.

For the love of all that is good and holy, get a bullpen arm by Thursday Minaya. Ugh.