TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

SmackDown Spoilers - August 1, 2008

Dave, A rather dull edition of Smackdown, saved only by the closing angle..

Jeff Hardy vs The Great Khali is the feature match. The Cutting Edge was to feature a mystery guest. They kept teasing the mystery guest throughout the show.

1. M.V.P. defeated Jimmy Wang Yang - Following up his angle from last week, Jeff Hardy was at ringside during the match. M.V.P. hit the Yakuza kick for the win. Jeff Hardy came in after the match and told M.V.P. never to talk about his house, the fire, or his dog again. M.V.P. went after Jeff. Jeff left him laying with a Twist of Fate.

2. Kennedy defeated Shelton Benjamin in a non-title match - Could have been better. Kennedy won with the Mic Check to clearly set up a match at Summerslam.

3. Brian Kendrick, with Ezekiel, defeated Stevie Richards

4. The Great Khali defeated Jeff Hardy - Hardy was mega-over with the crowd. A plodding match with Khali dominating 90% of the match. There was a mega pop for Jeff when he hit the Whisper in the Wind and then followed up with a Swanton Bomb. M.V.P came out to distract Jeff. Khali took advantage wand used the Vice Grip for the win. M.V.P. posed over the fallen Hardy.

5. Maria defeated Victoria - Your typical divas match.

6. Big Show defeated Domino - A total squash. Umaga came out and had a stare down with Show.

The Cutting Edge was next. They had a table, ladder, and chair in the ring as Edge came out for his segment. Edge explained that for the past week he had been searching for inner peace. He said that T.L.C. represented that inner peace and was the key to defeating the Undertaker at One Night Stand. He said that he has not had a moment of peace since Vicki's announcement last week. He claimed that now he needed help in defeating the Undertaker in the Hell in the Cell at Summerslam. He said that his mystery guest was the one person who understood the Undertaker and Hell in the Cell better than anyone. He then rolled to the outside and pointed at Mick Foley. He said Foley was the man who could help him at Summerslam and called him to the ring. Mick reluctantly climbed into the ring.Inside, Edge showed Foley a clip of his unforgettable HITC match with Taker a decade ago. Edge told Foley that since the match he was a different person. He told Mick that he was still feeling the effects of the match and was never the same because of it. But now was Foley's chance to gain revenge against the Taker by helping Edge to defeat him. Foley was tremendous in his response and showed why he is still one of the best promo guys around. Mick said the only person that could help Edge was Edge himself. Foley said that the old ruthless Edge could defeat Taker, not the current white tuxedo Edge. Just watch the promo. It's amazing. Foley asked if he made himself clear to Edge. Edge said he had and attacked Foley. He speared him into the ringside steps and then set up the ladder and table. Foley got the Mandible Claw on Edge but got a low blow for his trouble. Edge placed Mick on the table. He climbed the ladder with the chair and splashed Foley with it. The show closed with Edge standing over a fallen Foley.

Dark Match - Big Show defeated Edge by count out. Dave - Edge appeared to hurt his knee on the ladder splash. He was favoring his right knee after the Foley angle and during the dark match. It looked to be nothing serious but might be worth checking on.

Thanks,

Annette M. Boyer

Observer subscriber

----

That Hardy / Khali match sounds pretty much like the one they had on Raw some time ago. I have an odd interest in the Umaga / Big Show feud. And even as a champion, Shelton can't win a match! Poor guy.

It was tongue in cheek. I don't want to turn this into another "boo hoo this guy is a jobber let's analyse his win loss record" deals.

Ok. I just didn't know if you knew/remembered that he had and won a match last week. I probably couldn't have told you what he did last week if I hadn't checked first.

It makes a person feel old when he realizes the Mankind/Taker match actually happened 10 freaking years ago. I still remember how every website was buzzing the next morning, and how Raw was freaking awesome that next evening (Especially the awesome ending of Austin regaining the title... Paul Bearer's facial expressions as Austin got the pin were priceless).

It was tongue in cheek. I don't want to turn this into another "boo hoo this guy is a jobber let's analyse his win loss record" deals.

Ok. I just didn't know if you knew/remembered that he had and won a match last week. I probably couldn't have told you what he did last week if I hadn't checked first.

I actually didn't remember :) But yeah, still a joke all the same.

I like how the two biggest angles of the week involve announcers, but to be fair this involves Mick Foley and sounds really good.

Anyone else getting tired of Smackdown ending with promos?

but to be fair this involves Mick Foley and sounds really good.

Why does this sound good? What was exactly accomplished here? That Edge can beat down an old guy he already beat in the old guy's match at Mania?

Well, the recapper said it was good. Is her word not good enough? Plus I like old angle references and what not. Oh, sorry, forgot this was TSM...

"Foley is a piece of garbage and always has been. This should be quite the awful TV segment".

Anyone else getting tired of Smackdown ending with promos?

Are we sure that is how the edit will end up?

Well the last two Smackdowns ended with a promo and now this one (maybe?) is ending with yet another promo.

Well, the recapper said it was good. Is her word not good enough? Plus I like old angle references and what not. Oh, sorry, forgot this was TSM...

"Foley is a piece of garbage and always has been. This should be quite the awful TV segment".

You forgot about how he's only on Smackdown shilling a book he's selling. :D

5. Maria defeated Victoria - Your typical divas match.

The only reason I will be watching SD

Wonder if they are going to crack out the Uber-Cell that was used a while back for th DX Vs. McMahons and Big Show match? I can see them using thisc cell as it will allow Edge to try to make it more of a TLC match - within the Cell. Either way, the bigger cell gives a few more options for the match anyway.

I'm pretty sure the uber-cell is actually the new official cell. I think it was used in the Taker-Batista match at Survivor Series.

I'm interested in seeing the Edge-Foley segment as well. And unless I missed it, there seems to be no HHH on the show? Guess he's home with Stephanie and the baby.

a] Why does Khali keep getting pushed? If they want to push big guy, push Big Show. At least he's somewhat interesting.

b] I'm interesting in the Edge/Foley segment as well. I wonder if there'll be any mention of their recent team-up around when the ECW brand was restarted..

I'll tell you why Khali gets these yearly pushes: The dude is a hero to a nation of a billion people. Sure, Big Show is a better worker than him but he doesn't really bring in that sort of international drawing power. Khali also just had a fairly large role in a hit movie, Get Smart. My main problem is that he shouldn't be getting a title shot at a major show like Summerslam. If they wanted to job him out at No Mercy or whatever, then fine.

His wife gave birth to a child the day before, didn't she? Valid excuse to call in, I'd think, especially when the World Title match is clearly the 2nd story of the brand, not to mention theoretically lower than Cena/Batista on Summerslam. And when Khali/HHH appears to be nothing more than a 1 off match to take advantage of Khali's value and any story to it basically tells itself with Khali's size.

but to be fair this involves Mick Foley and sounds really good.

Why does this sound good? What was exactly accomplished here? That Edge can beat down an old guy he already beat in the old guy's match at Mania?

Because Foley can cut a great promo and do a good job of selling the match, and it shows Edge has refound his killer instinct that he lost while relying on Vickie to do everything for him

Foley's promo might be good, but it can't lead anywhere. Ok, suppose Edge has found that killer instinct again. Now what? Does that mean he'll beat Taker in the cell? Doubtful. Does it mean he wins the title from HHH soon? Doubtful. All this can really do is set up another Foley/Edge feud after the match at Summerslam. Is that what you really want?

Foley's promo might be good, but it can't lead anywhere. Ok, suppose Edge has found that killer instinct again. Now what? Does that mean he'll beat Taker in the cell? Doubtful. Does it mean he wins the title from HHH soon? Doubtful. All this can really do is set up another Foley/Edge feud after the match at Summerslam. Is that what you really want?

Well, to be honest if either is capable of putting on a Hardcore match like they did at Wrestlemania 22, I say go for it. Sure it won't really take Edge anywhere, but damn that match was awesome.

The past few months, Edge has needed the help of La Familia and Vickie to win his matches, so since he'll be in a Cell without any help, they need to help get him over as a guy who can hang with Taker. Plus, it gets him more heat, since everyone loves Foley, and he hasn't done anything physical in a year.

And who said the segment sounded good in the grand scheme of things? Foley cuts a Foley promo, Edge kicks his ass, it sounds like a good segment.

I don't see how this builds to an Edge-Foley feud, but if it did? I wouldn't mind that all, given the great chemistry they've shown they had. I do think Mick should stay retired for his own sake though

The end segment sounds great to me. It works well as a one-off to show a change in Edge that is needed for him to face taker in the cell. Even if Edge doesn't win, he can go the distance without outside help and come very close to winning. That alone would give him some legitimacy as a threat, and later one they could do another match where he actually wins (as much as I don't want more taker/edge matches I am resigned to the fact that they will continue this feud until long after I am retired).

One thing I don't want is for Foley to come back. It'd be a great match, but the man has put his body through enough. He's lucky to not be totally crippled at this point and for the rest of his life he'll be in pain and his body will likely break down pretty badly at some point due to all the accumulated injuries. I don't want him to go through more and I don't want his family to be put through more, so I would be happy if he was never let in the ring again.

I'm not saying this will definitely lead to Foley/Edge. I'm just saying this kind of thing usually leads to a feud, otherwise it's just Edge beating up an old fat guy for the hell of it. What killer instinct is being shown there? Wow he splashed a retired guy through a table off a ladder. Taker shows more killer instinct in the mentioned HIAC match with Foley than Edge does here. And that was 10 years ago before Taker picked up the chokehold and the MMA attitude.

I'm not saying this will definitely lead to Foley/Edge. I'm just saying this kind of thing usually leads to a feud, otherwise it's just Edge beating up an old fat guy for the hell of it. What killer instinct is being shown there? Wow he splashed a retired guy through a table off a ladder. Taker shows more killer instinct in the mentioned HIAC match with Foley than Edge does here. And that was 10 years ago before Taker picked up the chokehold and the MMA attitude.

I actually think this segment sounds very good, and the only thing worth watching on the show, but I understand your point about no one gets anything from beating up Foley. This is why I wonder how Orton ever got popular on the internet. The guy is worthless, yet people thought him beating up Foley was cool or something. It proved nothing. Foley's been retired for years, so why is beating him in a match anything special? So, yeah, I see where your coming from on this.

Orton is worthless? Man if ANYONE has come a long way, it's Randy Orton...from what, October last year through WM this year, that dude has been dynamite. It's a shame he got injured because he was really on fire.

The injury may help him. He lost 3 times in a row to HHH on PPV and who knows what, if anything worthwhile, they had planned for him post draft. Now he gets to come back fresh and in the mix.