TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 94 - Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

My memory tells me he won the first round of the Alves fight too. Neither Hughes nor Koscheck could really say the same. I could be wrong on this though, as CBR told me that he remembered Alves being the clear winner of the first round.

Josh Koscheck took Alves fight on 2 weeks notice and still gave him all he could handle. It was a close 29-28 desicion for Alves IMO, it was a really good fight.

Also Karo took the 1st round against Alves, he did something Kos or Hughes couldn't do and take Alves down. He was also getting the better of the exchanges as well.

Yeah I didn't necessarily mean BJ would sub GSP from his back, I just meant that I think GSP will eventually take BJ down, and after a big struggle back and forth, BJ finds a way to sub GSP, and yeah I know the scenario is not likely, but when you have two great fighters of this calibur, sometimes it takes the unexpected to win the fight. Most people consider Penn a dead man if/when he gets taken down by GSP, so I am just throwing anothr angle in there.

Also, is there any chance that GSP is looking past this fight at a possible superfight with Anderson Silva? I mean, personally I don't think that at all, but I have been listening to a lot of media on this fight and it almost seems like for BJ Penn THIS is the defining fight so far in his career, one he HAS TO WIN, but for GSP it is merely another fight and kind of looked at as a fight to set up a superfight.

If GSP is looking past BJ Penn (Which I strongly doubt given it's a Champion vs. Champion fight), he's probably thinking about Thiago Alves. He'd fight Alves before he fought Silva, and Alves is one of the few guys in the WW division that is bigger then GSP.

But I doubt he is. He'd be a goddamn fool to.

The GSP/BJ staredown, the whole time I'm audibly saying "oh shit! oh shit! oh shit! oh shit! oh shit! oh shit!".

How can anyone hate Clay Guida? Serious. The dude is such a cool, energetic, positive guy. Probably gives clothes to the homeless, heals sick children, and goes to retirement homes just to let old people tell their story to someone who cares. How can anyone hate Clay Guida?

Nate Diaz, still, HATES, Clay Guida.

No way Karo outstrikes Kim, IMO. Kim is taller and throws straighter punches down the pipe from a stance Karo isn't used to seeing. Of course, if Karo wants to turn this into a Judo match, his chances increase a good deal, as Kim isn't very good off of his back. However, with Karo's inclination to strike in the past and Kim's own Judo background, Karo sees like he'd be inclined to try winning this standing. As for the Brown fight, I think it mostly had to do with Kim fighting an extremely awkward fight that ran counter his normal style, gassing him out. Kim normally fights a relatively conservative striking and G&P game based on controlling pace and tempo. Againt Brown, he decided to try and act like a Korean Marcelo Garcia, and ended up blowing his load. Prior to blowing his load, Kim hardly looked bad at all, sans the few moments he was on his back.

I'm mostly rehashing here, but I think you're sleeping on a live 'dog.

Tong- Assuming JOB is successful against Wellisch (which he should be) how far do you see him going at 205? With his size and wrestling background I can imagine him giving a lot of guys trouble.

Eh... I think he may have been working under Vera parameters, where he looked better against bigger, sloth-like opponents who can't really handle his skill set. Carmelo Marrero is a similarly styled fighter who's found that its takes more than some good wrestling skills to excel at a deeper division with more varying skill sets. Also, it may do him well to seek out alternative training elsewhere. He's shown that he has a solid grasp of BJJ positioning, but his actual submission applications and use of G&P don't seem to be where they should be just yet. Getting out of Indiana and finding some alternative training would probably be good for his development.

Don't really hang on his nuts like I do with Tamdan but Jon Jones is another local guy who trains BJJ about 5 minutes from my house. I'm hoping he smashes Bonnar tonight. Honestly - I don't expect it but I'm hoping.