TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 94 - Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

So now someone needs to orchestrate GSP vs. Anderson Silva to determine the best P4P fighter in the UFC. I still think Silva would probably kick his head off his shoulders though. Nothing against GSP, I just think Silva's one of the best fighters in the world. Not to mention he's big for a MW just like GSP is big for a WW. So I think GSP may have trouble with the size difference. But, that fight probably won't happen.

Although I wonder if GSP is going to run into the same problem as Anderson Silva. Nobody to fight. So they just throw random people that have no business getting a title shot at him because that's all there is to fight?

I'm still surprised Karo won the fight. I thought that was some hardcore bullshit right there. He looked gassed pretty early.

It doesn't feel right to have a guy win a fight off three takedowns and a kimura attempt. It's times like this that I hate the 10 point system almost as much as PRIDE's lack judging criteria.

It's a little bit unfair to compare Jon Fitch/BJ Penn.

Outside of pride, what did BJ Penn have to fight for? They can't take away his belt. Realizing he was going to lose the fight made him give up mentally. It happens. That was always my problem with this fight. Aside from BJ Penn being granted the chance to make history, there wasn't anything pressing in this fight.

Jon Fitch on the other hand? He knew he may NEVER get another shot. He fought and fought to get that title shot. So, Jon Fitch stayed alive on pure heart alone. It wasn't skill on the bottom like BJ Penn that kept him alive. It was the fact that Jon Fitch refused to be finished no matter what GSP hit him with.

I think the old saying is, "You can't teach heart".

Anyway, on more sound issues.

At the Press Conference they said that they are still going to wait on Jackson/Jardine to decide Rashad's defense. Bullshitery. Lyoto even went as far as to call out Rashad practically, and he still might get passed over.

I'd be wondering if I'd litterally have to kill a man to get a title shot at this point if I was him.

Fuck off Warriorfan.

WHAT NOW BITCH!!

Don't think I forget about you.

HE QUIT!

You're a retard... Why don't you talk about how Vitor/Tito are going to rematch despite Vitor fighting at 185 now, or Fedor/Lesnar unifying the WHAMMA and UFC titles.

Fucking moron.

I guess I missed the joke... to be honest I just scanned the thread and didn't really know what was going on. Carry on.

It's a little bit unfair to compare Jon Fitch/BJ Penn.

Outside of pride, what did BJ Penn have to fight for? They can't take away his belt. Realizing he was going to lose the fight made him give up mentally. It happens. That was always my problem with this fight. Aside from BJ Penn being granted the chance to make history, there wasn't anything pressing in this fight.

Jon Fitch on the other hand? He knew he may NEVER get another shot. He fought and fought to get that title shot. So, Jon Fitch stayed alive on pure heart alone. It wasn't skill on the bottom like BJ Penn that kept him alive. It was the fact that Jon Fitch refused to be finished no matter what GSP hit him with.

I think the old saying is, "You can't teach heart".

Anyway, on more sound issues.

At the Press Conference they said that they are still going to wait on Jackson/Jardine to decide Rashad's defense. Bullshitery. Lyoto even went as far as to call out Rashad practically, and he still might get passed over.

I'd be wondering if I'd litterally have to kill a man to get a title shot at this point if I was him.

It's not unfair in the least. Fitch was hurt more and more often, put in worse positions and didn't give up. Penn did. Bottom line.

I think Rampage deserves a title shot before Machida.

He is a former LHW champ who lost his title in a controversial split decision who just KTFO Wanderlei Silva. If he beats Jardine, there should be no one in front of him in the line for a title shot.

With that in mind, I think Zuffa has plans for Lyoto/Rashad. Otherwise, why would they have made the meaningless Jardine/Rampage match-up?

Still hoping Evans-Machida gets on the May 23rd card underneath Lesnar-Mir 2. But with that decisive victory last night Dana and Joe Silva may think it could headline a PPV.

Where did you hear that Rashad turned down a Rampage fight? Never heard of this.

I actually think he would do well quite well against Rampage, because I think it's a bad style matchup for Rampage. I think he would get put on his back pretty often, and as we saw from the Griffin fight Rampage is still pretty rudimentary off of his back.

I think it doesn't matter because I think Lyoto will be champ by the end of the year anyway.

I think Rashad turned the fight down because it was too soon... I think they wanted it to be in March.

Georges St. Pierre: $400,000 ($200,000 to show plus $200,000 to win)

Lyoto Machida: $185,000 ($60,000 to show; $60,000 to win; and $65,000 for “Knockout of the Night”)

B.J. Penn: $125,000 (would have earned an additional $125,000 had he won)

Clay Guida: $105,000 ($20,000 to show; $20,000 to win; and $65,000 for “Fight of the Night”)

Nate Diaz: $85,000 ($20,000 to show and $65,000 for “Fight of the Night”;would have earned an additional $20,000 had he won)

Karo Parisyan: $80,000 ($40,000 to show and $40,000 to win)

Chris Wilson: $80,000 ($15,000 to show and $65,000 for “Fight of the Night”; would have earned an additional $15,000 had he won)

John Howard: $71,000 ($3,000 to show; $3,000 to win; and $65,000 for “Fight of the Night”)

Jon Fitch: $68,000 ($34,000 to show and $34,000 to win)

Thiago Silva: $29,000 (would have earned an additional $29,000 had he won)

Akihiro Gono: $28,000 (would have earned an additional $28,000 had he won)

Dong Hyun Kim: $26,000 (would have earned an additional $26,000 had he won)

Thiago Tavares: $26,000 ($13,000 to show and $13,000 to win)

Stephan Bonnar: $22,000 (would have earned an additional $22,000 had he won)

Manny Gamburyan: $14,000 (would have earned an additional $14,000 had he won)

Dan Cramer: $16,000 ($8,000 to show and $8,000 to win)

Jon Jones: $14,000 ($7,000 to show and $7,000 to win)

Matt Arroyo: $8,000 (would have earned an additional $8,000 had he won)

The disclosed fighter payroll for the event is $1,057,000 but that does not include salary figures for Christian Wellisch and Jake O’Brien, which were not immediately available. The listed total also does not include the “Fight Night” bonsues that were incorporated into the total payouts for Howard, Wilson, Machida, Guida, and Diaz.

As for the contest, here's a suggestion. This one is pretty embarrassing.

090201_GSP_GNP2.ss_full.jpg

Obviously if we go with this one we'll make it much smaller.

34petja.gif

Joe Silva's reactions: Worth the PPV price alone

Joe Rogan's reaction to Joe Silva's reaction was awesome also.

It was. Also on the subject of wrestling, I know of a certain judoka who isn't going to let anyone here the end of how Judo makes wrestling useless after all the switches Kim hit on Karo.

There is some truth to the fact that not a lot of people ever give thought to the fact that there is a LOT of crossover in techniques between different martial arts; the major variances in those arts tend to stem more from philosophy, rule sets, training, etc. I don't mean to imply that Kim has crap wrestling/judo/whatever (he's actually quite good, and would probably outwrestle all but the top level guys like GSP, Koscheck, Fitch). I just pointed it out because I find it amusing in being ultimately wrong, but not without some merit in thought.

It's kind of like what Breen alludes to in his article at SD: there is still a prevailing thought process that everything that can work in MMA has already been discovered and applied to MMA, failing to take into account the dynamic nature of the sport and martial arts in general.

You're right. I guess I was trying to imply that making such a statement based on Kim's outworking a blown-up Karo isn't exactly authoritative. If anything, it might imply that Kim's Judo is better than Karo's, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it implies that he could successfully counter a good wrestler a majority of the time.

It was my bad for not clarifying: the guy in question has long said that you can find most wrestling technique already in Judo (correct); thus, wrestling is theoretically useless (incorrect). The fact that Kim was hitting switches like Van Arsdale on speed was an example of a little-seen crossover in technique.