TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 94 - Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

I imagine the filmmakers cost a penny, given their success with 24/7 (though, to be fair, I have no idea who they are - the two production companies along with Zuffa are Positive Image Video and JMH productions - neither of whom produced HBO's series.) Plus that shit adds up. Flying to Hawaii ain't cheap, and they probably stayed there for weeks, ditto Montreal. Plus they are not using cheap equipment, it's clearly high quality shit they're using. They are actually using licensed music as well. Post must've drained a bit, too.

But if you believe BJ that's all selective editing designed to make fans doubt him. Rudy Valentino did an interview and said that Dana has never called Hawaii before to check on how BJ's training is going on any other fight so it's likely just manufactured drama.

I have to believe that it's selective editing. Would BJ take a break from training to rest and recover? I don't see why he wouldn't. But it was probably factored in so that he peaks at the right time. I don't believe for one second that the guy is gonna be unprepared (for the ass whupping GSP is gonna give him). As BJ said, both guys have to go in there thinking that they're gonna destroy the other one. If either one doesn't do that, they're done.

BJ saying "Georges, don't piss me off" is funny. It's the definition of a "Or what? You'll kick my ass?" kinda situation.

There's also the fact that BJ's voice makes it impossible for anything he says to sound remotely threatening.

There's also the fact that BJ's voice makes it impossible for anything he says to sound remotely threatening.

It's tough for Hawaiians to sound threatening because they're pretty laid back in general. It's almost a casual "I'm gonna kill you" sort of deal.

I can buy Hawaiians as threatening. Those hairy, tatooted, iced-out fiends I see on Dog are scary dudes. The reason is because they don't have a voice like their balls never dropped.

So with Rampage/Jardine being set for UFC 96 it's pretty much a gimme at this point that the winner of Lyoto/Silva will be Rashad's first title defence. UFC is apparently hard-up for doing an Undefeated vs Undefeated title fight.

I saw Nate the Great and Rashad spar with Georges today for UFC Primetime and let me just say that if BJ is even ten percent more tired in the fifth round than the first, he's going to lose. Seeing the way he sparred with light heavyweights was crazy. I can't imagine how much better his energy levels will be when he has someone smaller than him to throw around.

If anybody knows me, I don't show bias. I've probably repped BJ more in this thread than Georges. I've also mentioned times in the past where I knew guys would lose fights, like with Goulet now and with Cote in the past. The thing is, I wait till after to say something because I don't wanna sound disrespectful or give away too much information beforehand about a fighter's camp.

In this case, I'm not worried about that because I'm pretty confident Georges is going to win. He looks pretty fresh after five sparring rounds with monsters in higher weight classes like Rashad, and Nate. Most importantly, he's still as humble as ever, which I think is an underrated point. When I see a guy like BJ as the president in his camp who runs things, it goes opposite to the traditional martial arts and even boxing training regimens where you're not anyone special, you have to work just as hard as everyone else. I think you have to be treated like shit to a point because it helps keep your ego in check. Georges is given special attention for this fight, but he's never pampered like BJ was. He's put through hell and he can't complain or he'll get a shit storm from Firas. Of course he knows to shut the fuck up so it's fine. He never talks about himself and always thanks the five guys that take turns trying to kill him afterwards, especially Rashad who left the caribbean or some really warm vacation spot to walk around in shitty January Quebec weather to help Georges for this fight. He took Rashad down at times, who is a 205'er and a world class wrestler. I can't really spin that any other way, it's simply a fact.

I hate inflated training partner stories as much as the next guy, but I thought you guys might like to know what's been going on. One of the most surprising things to me about Rashad was his size, he is smaller than Marquardt. The fact that he's a champ in LHW is crazy in modern MMA, considering the emphasis on physicality.

Keep in mind also that BJ Penn is my favourite fighter hands down, when everything is taken into account. But this is one guy I can't cheer for him against, and it has nothing to do with fighting. He is from my gym, so I'm always gonna back Georges, but in general there's no fighter I'd rather see in the ring and in front of a mic than BJ Penn.

Despite solid ratings for Spike TV's first installment of the three-part "UFC Primetime: St. Pierre vs. Penn II" series, at least one participant was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in the piece.

A source close to the show on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) B.J. Penn recently shut down a taping and interview session for the series and no longer wants involved in the project.

Penn was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in last week's debut of the series, which hypes a Jan. 31 UFC 94 main event fight between the Hawaiian fighter and UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

Penn, the UFC's current lightweight title-holder, looks to become the first-ever UFC fighter to hold two belts simultaneously when he fights for St. Pierre's title at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"Primetime," a nearly $2 million project that airs in 30-minute blocks on Wednesdays from Jan. 14-28, follows each fighter as he prepares for the fight.

During the Jan. 14 debut, Penn was sometimes portrayed as a fighter who didn't take his training too seriously – a reputation that's long dogged the 30-year-old fighter.

In the latest taping segment for "Primetime," Penn cut short taping just eight minutes into an interview, the source said.

A message left with Penn's publicity representative wasn't immediately returned.

The second installment of "UFC Primetime" airs tonight at 10 p.m. EST/PST on Spike TV.

Last week's "Primetime" debut scored a scored a 0.73 household rating and had an average audience of 880,000 viewers during its initial run at 10 p.m. EST/PST. An immediate replay that aired at 10:30 p.m. EST/PST scored a 0.53 rating with 614,000 viewers.

It currently ranks as the highest-rated "UFC Countdown" show in UFC and Spike TV history.

Or what? If an article of the same ilk about GSP was posted you can be damn sure there'd be people around here who'd post it.

It's a news report. This isn't me saying "So and so at this forum that knows this person said this". If the article turns out wrong or MMAJunkie retracts it I'll delete my post. Until then it stays.

That sucks. They're obviously still going to air the last episode next week so I wonder how exactly this will effect it.

Dana will talk him down off the ledge. He has to.

I just hope this doesn't spark off conspiracy theories that UFC and the camera crew are favouring GSP or anything by editing BJ's interviews or anything to portray him in a poor light. If the bottom line here is that BJ fucked himself over by looking bad when he knew there were eyes on him then he's got nobody to blame but himself.

Or what? If an article of the same ilk about GSP was posted you can be damn sure there'd be people around here who'd post it.

It's a news report. This isn't me saying "So and so at this forum that knows this person said this". If the article turns out wrong or MMAJunkie retracts it I'll delete my post. Until then it stays.

I wasn't talking about you, I was more or less talking about the UFC camera crew. This is going to spark a fire under BJ's ass.

I don't see what the big deal is anyway, he took 2 days off of training to relax. Fighters tend to do that all the time.

If it is a stunt, this is the kind of thing that makes me want to go upside Dana's head with a Singapore cane ala the Sandman circa 1995. The fight is big enough already, there is no need for crap like this. The fighters themselves have been doing a good enough job in promoting it. There is no need in going TUF with a fight like this. Stand back, let the cameras roll, and portray both sides equally, for fucks sake...

No wonder some people refer to Dana as Vince Jr. Its not necessary at all.

It's not a publicity stunt, it's BJ being fucking crazy, because that's how he is.

His regimen is pretty legit, the body needs time to rest, if you're going hardcore for five days straight like he says I can understand wanting to take two days off.

I saw nothing wrong with how they portrayed him though. He's a crazy, but at the same time laid back guy. That's how he came across.