TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 94 - Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

The contest. I don't feel like PMing everyone so here is who signed up originally.

Team St. Pierre

Lord of the Curry

RavishingRickRudo

Next USC #55

Hawk52

BruiserBrody

KOAB

AlaskanHero

AboveAverage484

The Great Mazto

Leonard Rockstein PhD

ViciousFish

Tawren

starvenger

Team Penn

Mik

EHME

HollywoodSpikeJenkins

NoCalMike

YouthNAsia

Broward83

Dr. Zoidberg

Cuban Linx

You are all in - no matter what. If anyone else wants in - say it now. you have until next weekend to lock in to the contest. After the fight I will make a screencap off the torrent of the most embarrassing moment for the losing fighter (most likely what caused the loss) and you HAVE to use that as your sig for two weeks. No exceptions. Anyone who bitches out will be suspended until they change it or the two weeks are over.

Do you guys remember that time that BJ knocked GSP out and then everyone who picked GSP to win cried? Especially LOTC?

It didn't happen yet? Oh man, I must be able to predict the future.

GSP isn't gonna stand in the pocket with "please hit me" tatted on his face like Sherk did, so let's forget this KO nonsense unless we're talking BJ losing by TKO. If GSP loses I gotta believe it'll be by tapout. Penn's flexibility is ridiculous and I'm sure he'd love to get a tap here just to show that he can.

I think that one mistake will be all it takes for one of the two to earn a stoppage victory. I can't really predict those (although if it does happen it won't be due to BJ gassing) so I think that this fight goes five, with the difference being Greg Jackson's strategy carrying GSP to the decision victory.

GSP isn't gonna stand in the pocket with "please hit me" tatted on his face like Sherk did, so let's forget this KO nonsense unless we're talking BJ losing by TKO. If GSP loses I gotta believe it'll be by tapout. Penn's flexibility is ridiculous and I'm sure he'd love to get a tap here just to show that he can.

Dude, if Matt Serra was able to crack GSP's chin... BJ who is a better striker, and a harder puncher certainly can.

BJ ain't getting TKO'd either, if Lyoto Machida can't KO BJ... GSP is going to?

Dude, if Matt Serra was able to crack GSP's chin... BJ who is a better striker, and a harder puncher certainly can.

Dubious on the harder puncher part. But I would say that BJ is a better BOXER than Serra. Serra was more than willing to wade in and take a hit to connect with one. I just don't see BJ as a guy to strike in that style.

BJ ain't getting TKO'd either, if Lyoto Machida can't KO BJ... GSP is going to?

You're using Lyoto as an example of people being unable to KO BJ? I've come to like Lyoto, but KO is not something I'd associate with the guy.

Anyway, a TKO is a possibility, although I would agree with you that a true KO is not likely. The X-Factor here is whether GSP can get past guard and stay past it. He gets into half or beyond and he might be able to use enough elbows and GnP to get the TKO. GSP tends to pass practically the moment he gets you down, so that will be one of the interesting battles here - Penn has enough flexibility that if he gets St. Pierre in guard, it's a stalemate. GSP passes, and that flexibility will come into play to get him back to guard. St. Pierre should have enough JJ that he can recognize the shit BJ tries from the bottom, but that damn flexibility worries me.

Dubious on the harder puncher part. But I would say that BJ is a better BOXER than Serra. Serra was more than willing to wade in and take a hit to connect with one. I just don't see BJ as a guy to strike in that style.

BJ has one punch KO power as displayed in his past fights, he doesn't chose to go for the one shot. If BJ sees an opening for the KO, he's going to take it.

You're using Lyoto as an example of people being unable to KO BJ? I've come to like Lyoto, but KO is not something I'd associate with the guy.

Yes I am using Lyoto as an example considering he's twice the striker GSP is, and he is much more heavier and stronger. Lyoto Machida who has KO'd Rich Franklin, and rocked numerious of natural middleweights/light heavyweights like Tito Ortiz, Nakamura, Sokodjou etc. wasn't able to rock or hurt and overweight BJ Penn who looked like was pregnet. You can make the point BJ arguably won that fight.

When does the Penn/GSP 24/7-style shows start airing?

UFC Primetime: St. Pierre vs. Penn airs on January 14th, 21st, and 28th at 10:30 PM. All are Wednesdays.

BJ has one punch KO power as displayed in his past fights, he doesn't chose to go for the one shot. If BJ sees an opening for the KO, he's going to take it.

Sure, KOs against Uno and Thomas - in 2001, in his second and third career fight. Who has he beat with one punch lately? Give BJ credit for evolving as a fighter - as you say, he's looking for an opening, but he's not gonna be looking for that one punch to finish a fighter. Sherk stayed in the pocket and perhaps BJ could've finished him with one punch, but tactically it's not a smart move and we saw BJ pick him apart with some smart standup.

Yes I am using Lyoto as an example considering he's twice the striker GSP is, and he is much more heavier and stronger. Lyoto Machida who has KO'd Rich Franklin, and rocked numerious of natural middleweights/light heavyweights like Tito Ortiz, Nakamura, Sokodjou etc. wasn't able to rock or hurt and overweight BJ Penn who looked like was pregnet. You can make the point BJ arguably won that fight.

That's a bit of a sideways argument. I say that Lyoto isn't a guy you'd say is gonna knock you out, and you talk about how good his striking is. And see, I can't disagree with you - he strikes very effectively, and over three rounds (or less) you are gonna be worn down from the punishment he gives you (in true "Dragon" style). And he may rock you with a strike or two, but he's not the type of guy that definitively knocks you out - it's simply not his style. He'll punish you for 3 rounds instead.

I need to get into the mindset that every other GSP fan is in and overestimate his striking.

Where is there overestimation? His striking strength is his kicks, which he uses to set up the takedowns. He's a GnP guy at heart, which is why I was saying that should BJ get stopped, it's by TKO. BJ isn't getting KO'ed from a standing strike. Of course, some people equate GnP with striking, so maybe that's what you're thinking here?

Sure, KOs against Uno and Thomas - in 2001, in his second and third career fight. Who has he beat with one punch lately? Give BJ credit for evolving as a fighter - as you say, he's looking for an opening, but he's not gonna be looking for that one punch to finish a fighter. Sherk stayed in the pocket and perhaps BJ could've finished him with one punch, but tactically it's not a smart move and we saw BJ pick him apart with some smart standup.

It was his punch that set up the Hughes RNC. Plus when was the last time BJ stood and traded with a fighter without it being taken to the ground? There was the Sherk fight, and he KO'd Sherk with a flying knee... In a fight where he didn't try to go for a one punch KO rather then establish his jab and then go for the KO with something out of nowhere.

But if you're trying to say GSP has a better chance of KOing BJ standing then BJ has of KOing GSP standing, then that's the point I'm trying to argue with because I think you're wrong. GSP has been KO'd before, BJ hasn't unless you included the Matt Hughes stoppage in which he was KO'd or rocked, just put in a bad position where the referee had no choice but to stop it. But BJ was hurt or effected from those punches Hughes were throwing, the stoppage was more due to the position rather then the damage. Hell I've never seen BJ rocked in a fight.

GSP's stand up has improved dramatically since their first fight. The Serra fight has prompted him to change it up and he is using range a lot better and works off the jab. He obliterated Fitch standing. Serra had little to offer going toe-to-toe with Rush as well. Do these guys have better stand up than BJ? No. BJ's stand up is very good, though I think it is fairly basic. All the dude does is box, has fairly good evasion but has shown a willingness (or dependency) to use his chin. In the past year I think it has been proven that this is not a good technique. BJ would be better off trying to put Georges on his back, in a similar strategy that GSP uses with his opponents.

Okay, just because BJ doesn't cut or bruise doesn't mean he wasn't hurt from Hughes laying into him. He's openly grimacing when taking the shots.

I believe that was more due to the rib injury and having a much heavier fighter on top of him. Hughes didn't even look like he was putting all that effort into his punches.

But if you're trying to say GSP has a better chance of KOing BJ standing then BJ has of KOing GSP standing, then that's the point I'm trying to argue with because I think you're wrong. GSP has been KO'd before, BJ hasn't unless you included the Matt Hughes stoppage in which he was KO'd or rocked, just put in a bad position where the referee had no choice but to stop it. But BJ was hurt or effected from those punches Hughes were throwing, the stoppage was more due to the position rather then the damage. Hell I've never seen BJ rocked in a fight.

OK, I see where the confusion comes from. I'm thinking that GSP would garner a TKO via GnP (i.e. ref stoppage) because again, he uses those punches and kicks (or at least the idea of them) to set up his takedowns (vintage GSP = takedown, pass guard, pound the shit out of opponent, repeat as necessary). You can never say never about a standing KO but that's really not his game, and unlikely against Penn who isn't gonna stand in the pocket and bang. In fact, standing and banging with Penn is probably the dumbest thing GSP could do.

Actually I think the dumbest thing GSP could try and do is prolonged grappling exchanges with Penn on the bottom. He needs to work like he did against Serra in their second fight, mixing up the guard/half-guard passes with rising up and landing shots from on top. The longer he's on the ground against BJ the better the chances of Penn trapping an arm for a triangle or omoplata and using that to try a submission of sweep GSP.