TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

NFL WEEK ONE

Alright, I get Flacco vs Mr Cinco. Of course FOX is once again sticking me with Dallas when I'd rather be watching Carolina vs San Diego.

Well with almost 24 hours to digest the game I am not AS mad anymore.

The Skins offense looks like a typical offense struggling to learn a new system, especially a timing-based one. I guess the upsetting part is that they have a lot of weapons such as, Portis, Cooley, Moss, ARE, so it is more frustrating that these guys are being wasted on a team that seems to change their scheme every season.

The Skins D was man-handled in the 1st half, but the Giants only got in the endzone once in the game and after that Eli seemed to revert to pre-2007 playoffs Eli Manning by making bad reads and throwing some horrible floaters.

16-7 is not as bad today, as it felt at the time.

The Skins offense has a long way to go, but I think the team overall has the personnel it needs to make the WCO offense work. (Well assuming their two draft picks Thomas & Kelley get themselves healthy and start producing). I know on the one third down the pass to Devin Thomas was the correct read on the hot route, and if the Giants safety doesn't make a great open-field tackle he had no defender in front of him so props to whoever that safety was for a TD-saving tackle.

Holy crap, I totally forgot those monster years he had, but Daunte Culpepper retired with a 90 QB rating. Holy shit.

Shame, I actually liked the huge guy with really awkward small hands more than most.

I actually think Zorn is going to be a decent coach once everyone starts clicking and if they give him a chance. Too many changes in offensive coordinators and shit has taken a toll on Campbell.

Skins win 5 or 6 this year, and Campbell puts up Kitna like numbers thanks to how bad the D will be. If he stays healthy this year and if Zorn doesn't give in to the meatheads calling for Colt.

The thing that concerned me about Campbell but should get better as the year goes on was his decision making. It just seemed like he was taking 2 seconds longer than he needed to when deciding to throw the ball. I remember a few routes where the pass was incomplete where I was thinking, if he had thrown it even 1 second earlier he could've had a completion and possibly a decent gain.

If you're holding the ball for 5-6 seconds (Brady tends to do this at times too but is lucky in that he often gets stellar protection) sooner or later the rush will get to you. Given the fact that the West Coast is predicated on timing routes, I'd be worried if in 3-4 weeks Campbell is still struggling in getting the ball out quickly. I'm always reminded me of the "clock" in a quarterback's head where they have roughly 3 seconds to get the pass off and I think Campbell needs to develop a quicker mental clock if the Redskins want success in the passing game. I also noticed he has a wind up in his throwing motion, which may be hurting him in terms of the timing of the offense. It actually reminded me of Byron Leftwich.

The thing that concerned me about Campbell but should get better as the year goes on was his decision making. It just seemed like he was taking 2 seconds longer than he needed to when deciding to throw the ball. I remember a few routes where the pass was incomplete where I was thinking, if he had thrown it even 1 second earlier he could've had a completion and possibly a decent gain.

If you're holding the ball for 5-6 seconds (Brady tends to do this at times too but is lucky in that he often gets stellar protection) sooner or later the rush will get to you. Given the fact that the West Coast is predicated on timing routes, I'd be worried if in 3-4 weeks Campbell is still struggling in getting the ball out quickly. I'm always reminded me of the "clock" in a quarterback's head where they have roughly 3 seconds to get the pass off and I think Campbell needs to develop a quicker mental clock if the Redskins want success in the passing game. I also noticed he has a wind up in his throwing motion, which may be hurting him in terms of the timing of the offense. It actually reminded me of Byron Leftwich.

I pretty much agree and I think that is Campbell's biggest learning curve under this type of offense. Campbell was a Joe Gibbs draft pick, drafted for his big arm and playmaking ability, taught to take 5-7 drops, stand behind O-line and wait for a play to develop downfield, and I seriously doubt Gibbs would have ever thought Campbell would be operating a WCO, even though he ran a WCO pretty well in college. I am still not sure what kind of a WCO Zorn is designing though, if it is a more pure Bill Walsh version or the modified kind that The Eagles run where they are taking multiple shots downfield every game.

With that said, I think Thomas & Kelly are going to be a vital part of this offense in the future because they are the bigger stronger targets that are going to be running those slant routes across the middle which is going to open up the post routes for Moss and ARE. Of course they also have big learning curves since they were injured during a lot of training camp. (TIMING TIMING TIMING)

Until then I think Clinton Portis must remain the focus of this offense because since he joined the Redskins, he has been the one constant standout. No matter how well or poor the team finished, he was the guy that kept the offense going. He had a relatively good game against the Giants(84 yards on 23 rushes) and that was given the fact that he was way under-utilized in the first half. It seemed Zorn was too earger to show off the new WCO, and forgot who the heart and soul of this offense has been for the past four years. By the time he swallowed his pride/ego the Redskins were down 16-0.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
The MAPS~! return, this time in nifty Google Maps format!

CBS

FOX Early

FOX Late

Oh thank you, Sweet, Holy Jeebus! I'm spared from watching the New York Favres in favor of my team spanking the Titans!

:headbang:

Spanking is pretty brave. Jacksonville will win, but by no more than a TD. First one to blink defending the run loses.

So, my sister, a Cowboys fans, and myself have a bet for this season. I have so much faith in my Eagles, I bet her that they would have a better record than the Cowboys this season. If I lose, I have to shave my legs. If I win, she has to not shave hers for a month. If they wind up tied, we both lose. TIME FOR FOOTBALL SEASON

From the map it looks like I'm getting Bengals/Ravens, joy. Palmer is my fantasy QB though so I might be slightly interested. I'd actually much rather see Jets/Dolphins than that one.

CBS

FOX Early

FOX Late

Oh thank you, Sweet, Holy Jeebus! I'm spared from watching the New York Favres in favor of my team spanking the Titans!

Spanking is pretty brave. Jacksonville will win, but by no more than a TD. First one to blink defending the run loses.

28-13 with allowing 62 rushing yards on Tennessee's homefield? And that was without Stroud, Peterson, or Garrard in the line-up. Plus, as much as the Jags WRs suck ass, Tennessee's secondary sucks just as much at the moment. Spanking may have been a bit much, but I doubt they'll come out as flat as they did last year(a game they still could've won if Marcedes "The Bust" Lewis didn't make MJD fumble). I think they get 'em by at least 10, thus forcing the Titans to rely on Vince's arm instead of his legs and if/when that happens, the game is pretty much over with.

Admittedly though, Chris Johnson worries me some as he's a really fast back and if he gets to the second level, it'll cause some serious problems for the defense.

The best part of Chad Johnson's new name will be hearing the announcers have to refer to him as "Chad Ocho Cinco" in complete seriousness.

I know I'm getting the Central Missouri TV formula (Chiefs/Rams/#1 National game). At least the Chiefs play the Patriots this week. Dallas/Cleveland could be a fun shootout.

CBS

FOX Early

FOX Late

WTF is San Diego getting Kansas City @ New England?

Division rivals come next in line for regional air preference

For example, here if the Chiefs aren't on, we'll wind up with either a Broncos or Chargers game

You're all lucky, at least you aren't stuck in Pro Football Hell that is the San Francisco Bay Area. I always look forward to a bye week or like Week 1 this year with the Raiders on MNF sloppy seconds which is the only time we get any sort of variety in our football coverage. Unfortunately one of the two games tomorrow morning before the Cardinals/49ers suckfest will be the Favre love in on CBS so I guess I'll be sticking with Seahawks/Bills.

Definitely watch the bills/Hawks game. Bills season openers are fascintating. They've trailed a TOTAL of a little over eight minutes in the last four openers...and they managed to lose 3 of them. You can't find that kind of entertainment anywhere.

I really, really don't want to watch Jets/Dolphins. There must be a free way for me to watch Bengals/Ravens somewhere on the internet.

I really, really don't want to watch Jets/Dolphins. There must be a free way for me to watch Bengals/Ravens somewhere on the internet.

I've been meaning to ask something like this on the forum, but for all sports, not just football. Anyone got anything?

You're all lucky, at least you aren't stuck in Pro Football Hell that is the San Francisco Bay Area.

Living in Central CA puts me in the same boat. It gets worse as the season progresses when I miss out on prime matchups when they air throwaway Raiders & 49ers games. At least with the Raiders there's the curiosity factor this season as bad as they will probably be. I'm interested in seeing if McFadden and Russell can become legit NFL stars.

As obnoxious as Jimmy Kimmel is in the current DirecTv comnmercials, I have to admit switching over is a very appealing option right now.

Division rivals come next in line for regional air preference

For example, here if the Chiefs aren't on, we'll wind up with either a Broncos or Chargers game

I'm not sure that is correct since the Bay area will get the Jets vs Miami and not the KC game.

Guest דניא&#15
Also why I get stuck with the gay ass Lions two or three weeks a year.

My Fox station made a late switch from Saints/Buccaneers to Lions/Falcons. Thanks a fuckton, Fox 32.

Bears lose tonight, 44-19. That's one touchdown and four field goals for the Bears, btw.