TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NFL Week 8

Brett Favre has been more of a liability than an asset so far this year. It's pretty frustrating having to watch this while Pennington is playing well down in Miami.

Speaking of which, thanks to the Dolphins the Jets' game in Buffalo has become much more important. Makes the loss in Oakland sting that much more, though.

Well, the refs certainly fucked the falcons right in the ass right there. That is a HORRIBLE call, obviously wrong call that no one with eyes could possibly make.

-$25,000 :angry:

What was the point of switching from STL/NE after it was over...to see Carolina take a knee against Arizona? Why even bother?

Kenny Phillips just got flagged with easily the worst personal foul call I've ever seen: a perfectly clean hit on Mewelde Moore, a textbook "make the guy drop the ball" lead with the shoulder...that was called "unnecessary roughness on a defenseless receiver"? It was a tremendous play by a safety. Roger Goodell's vagina league is in session.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Every unnecessary roughness call is bullshit. So is every 15-yard taunting penalty. Fifteen-yard taunting penalties! Good God!

Would anyone else here take a sort of perverse enjoyment from a Bengals/Lions game? I'm having a hard time seeing a combined win total above three for those two squads.

I'm looking at the Seattle/San Fran boxscore, and Leonard Weaver, a fullback last I checked, has 4 catches for 116 yards and 2 TD's...the hell?

Pleasantly surprised to see the Browns not completely collapse and be able to hold off JAX.

I thought I was going to have a heart attack on the 2nd to last play.

I can only hope they make Winslow into a 3rd WR and leave Heiden as starting TE.

The Giants need to drain the clock and kick a FG with as little time as is possible since they can't score a TD to save their lives today.

They finally got 6 out of a trip to the red zone. Now if the defense would just hold up here that would be great. A loss here would be devastating since everyone else in the division won today.

Horrible game by The Steelers. They just handed the fucking thing to The Giants. Typical "let's play not to lose" attitude instead of playing to win. Sometimes the better team doesn't win, and this was one of those times. Just terrible.

Horrible game by The Steelers. They just handed the fucking thing to The Giants. Typical "let's play not to lose" attitude instead of playing to win. Sometimes the better team doesn't win, and this was one of those times. Just terrible.

Considering that Roethlisberger threw 4 interceptions and the Giants d-line knocked him down at least a dozen times, I think it's a pretty big stretch to say that they just handed the game to the Giants, unless you consider "opponent forces complete breakdowns in pass protection and the QB's choices" to be a minor thing. I'll give you the hilarious safety, though.

Your team was -4 in the turnover battle. If your RZ defense wasn't phenomenal/our RZ offense wasn't pathetic it would've been a 14+ point margin easily.

I didn't doubt the Cowboys coming into this game, and it looks like I was justified.

After one week, people start saying all sorts of nonsense. Dallas goes from a good team to a shitty team and blah blah blah.

Remember, this is the NFL, any team can beat any other on any given sunday. The Lions could even beat the Titans if they played good.

Don't count out a team completely just because they had a bad week, and it works both ways. A team with a good week doesn't mean anything. The Rams beat the Cowboys badly, but it doesn't mean they're up for a playoff run.

Big win for Houston today..everything seemed to click on both sides of the ball and it was great to see us play a game from beginning to end for once.

I did nearly bust a hole in my wall after slamming my fist into the same spot due to the two bullshit penalties called on the Texans.

First, the hit on a "defenseless" player. The fuck? He wasn't down.. he was still an active player and its not like our player dove headlong into him to try and incapacitate the fucker..

secondly, the celebration penalty. Again... the fuck???! That wasn't much of a celebration and it only last what.. five seconds.. maybe ten at the max?

Next week at Minnesota will be huge for us..if we win, we're at .500 but it makes the losses to our division that much harder to swallow.

Considering that Roethlisberger threw 4 interceptions and the Giants d-line knocked him down at least a dozen times, I think it's a pretty big stretch to say that they just handed the game to the Giants, unless you consider "opponent forces complete breakdowns in pass protection and the QB's choices" to be a minor thing. I'll give you the hilarious safety, though.

Stupid penalties, poor decisions by Rothlisberger thinking he has 7 minutes to throw the ball, and conservative play-calling lead to The Steelers downfall,(not to mention the amount of players that were hurt), and defense played great and held their vaunted running game to virtually nothing. So no, I don't think that's a big stretch to say they handed the game to The Giants.

I did nearly bust a hole in my wall after slamming my fist into the same spot due to the two bullshit penalties called on the Texans.

First, the hit on a "defenseless" player. The fuck? He wasn't down.. he was still an active player and its not like our player dove headlong into him to try and incapacitate the fucker..

Same thing I complained about re: Steelers/Giants. Is this "defenseless player" thing some new rule? I can't recall hearing it before.

A receiver is considered "defenseless" if he doesn't have 2 feet on the ground. For the hit to be illegal the defender has to "launch" at the receiver. The call in the Steelers-Giants game was a pretty textbook definition of the rule. I didn't see the play in question in the Texans game, so I'm not sure there. It's another case of the right call being made based on a stupid rule.

I don't have a problem with that call. The ball was away from Mewelde Moore, and the Giants DB could clearly see he didn't have it with enough time to avoid making the hit. The same kind of call was made in the Atl/Philly game, as Lawyer Milloy LIT UP LJ Smith after Smith failed to make a catch and was slowing up.

It's 1 thing if the receiver is trying to catch the ball, or if the ball has just arrived at the receiver, but I agree that defender shouldn't be lowering the boom on guys after the ball is well away from the receiver and the defender has enough time to avoid making the hit.

I'm pretty sure the "defenseless player" rule has been around for a few years, as I'm pretty sure I remember a call going against Miami for it.

Holy shit. I LOVE Mike Singletary. That post game rant was the shit legends are made of.

It really was.

Singletary has to stay. He is automatically a better coach than Mike Nolan, despite today's result.

Early

Tampa Bay at Dallas: I am utterly baffled as to how Dallas is favored by 7 or so in this game. I don't care if Romo is healthy or who they have, Tampa is going to beat that ass. Bucs by 10. (Okay, so Dallas' D at least showed up. 0 for 1)

Washington at Detroit: Redskins struggle but usually get the job done. Detroit can't buy a win. Washington by 7. Something like 20-13. (The Redskins sorta struggled, and then got the job done. 1 for 2)

Buffalo at Miami: First division test for the Bills and the Dolphins are now reeling a bit after a decent start. Bills by 8. (Bills do not pass that first division test on the road. 1 for 3)

St. Louis at New England: Pats looked excellent stomping the Broncos, but have injuries now out the wazoo. Rams look solid now with Haslett, but I can't see them winning here. NE by 6. (Maybe with Jackson this would have gone differently. 2 for 4)

San Diego at New Orleans @ Wembley Stadium: Who knows with this bizarre London game, but the Saints don't have Reggie Bush so the Chargers should win this handily. SD by 12. (I just keep picking the Chargers and they keep losing. Blah. 2 for 5)

Kansas City at NY Jets: Okay, the Jets just lost to the Raiders so they can't possibly afford a loss to the usually hopeless Chiefs. Jets by 10. (Favre tried to blow this game, but couldn't in the end. 3 for 6)

Atlanta at Philadelphia: This should be a fun game. Falcons could really impress with a road win here, but if Westbrook is healthy I think the Eagles hang on. Philly by 4. (Philly won a bit easier than this. 4 for 7)

Oakland at Baltimore: Raiders got a nice OT win over the Jets, but this year the stat of west coast teams going east is not good at all (0-9). Ravens by 14. (Pretty much nailed this one. 5 for 8)

Arizona at Carolina: See the above stat. Cardinals are a good home team, but they aren't going to win this one in Carolina. Panthers by 13. (Ended up way closer than I expected. 6 for 9)

Late

Cleveland at Jacksonville: This actually should be a close game, since the Jags know nothing else. That said, I can't see the Browns winning this. Jags by 3. (Wow, look at the resurgent Browns with the nice road win! 6 for 10)

Cincinnati at Houston: The Bengals really, really suck and it's only getting worse with Palmer ailing. Houston is getting on track after a rough start. Texans by 14. (This is just getting bad for the Bengals now...they might be the worst in the league, even worse than Detroit. 7 for 11)

NY Giants at Pittsburgh: Easily the game of the day. Steelers have already gone through some wars this year while the Giants have played mediocre teams for the most part. Steelers by 5. (Big win for the G-Men on the road today. 7 for 12)

Seattle at San Francisco: Niners just fired Nolan, so who knows how they react. I think they come out strong this time and smack the weak Seahawks. SF by 9. (Okay so they came out anything but strong against Seattle. 7 for 13)

Wow, what a crappy week of predictions.

Holy shit. I LOVE Mike Singletary. That post game rant was the shit legends are made of.

Oh my god, yes. The only thing that made going to work after that wretched Bucs-Cowboys game tolerable was hearing Singletary fucking lace into Vernon Davis's worthless, lazy ass.