TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zetterberg is God

The Hockey Thread

I hate when the Leafs and Canucks play each other, but wow, Luongo is putting on a clinic tonight

I know that part of me is saying this on the grounds that I wanted to see CBC's coverage of the Habs, but it was at least mildly ridiculous to have the Canucks play at 4pm at home.

As long as I'm complaining about petty CBC matters, does anyone else think the production values take a huge freefall between the early and late games?

I went to vote for the All-Star team, and I know that it's in Montreal this year, but there is no way that all 6 starters right now should be from the Canadians.

I went to vote for the All-Star team, and I know that it's in Montreal this year, but there is no way that all 6 starters right now should be from the Canadians.

Certainly not after their last five or six games, anyway.

I can't even explain it, as the only games I saw during their last six were at Toronto and Ottawa (which only adds to my frustration). They looked solid from end-to-end against the Sens. They have great records against Philly, Boston, and Toronto, all of whom they were outplayed by.

I have no problem with Komisarek starting, I have no problem with Price, Komisarek and Tanguay playing. That's all. Malkin, Semin, Gagne should start up front.

Komisarek is hit-or-miss with me. He's a good player, but maybe I just don't watch him enough. He gets turned a lot, which is something that heavy body guys struggle with, but his physicality I guess makes up for it.

I heard they took votes away for Elbow-lev this weekend. The league has been looking into vote tampering in Montreal, since I think Steve Begin has more votes than Crosby or something like that (kidding). Still, if it's the West v. Montreal at the start of the game, all I hope for is a puck to the throat of someone.

Just finished watching the Rangers beat the Sens in a shootout. That was one hell of a game. The Rangers are lucky they have Hank in goal or they might be dead last in the league. The man is a monster in goal. I'm glad he's on my team and not against my team. Ruutu needs to be put on his ass on Saturday in the rematch. The guy is just plain dirty. He's not the type of player like Kasperites (sp?), where you hate playing against him, but want him on your team. He's just dirty and needs to be put in his place. The guy seems to play like he wants to hurt someone, not just give a nice clean hit, but put them out, and that's something that isn't good for the game.

Every year you have a team that no one expects to make a great run, and a team that just dominates everyone else, why not the Ragners this year? They have the goalie, they have the offense, and they have the penalty kill. They need a lot of help on the power play, but they are still a very good team. It feels good to be a Rangers fan this year so far.

The Kings looked good in a losing effort to the Ducks last night. If not for that crazy Hedican goal, it would have been another 1-0 game. They've played in 10 of those this season. I know the season is young, but the Kings should make a marked improvement over last year's record- maybe 10th or 11th in the conference- and I really think they'll make the playoffs next season.

I went to my 3rd Reign game of the season on Saturday. They honored 3 WWII veterans, which was nice since I'm a history and military buff. Got a nifty collector's puck, too- #1 in a series of 3.

l_b6af2f85faea4211b127a9c2366c4bd2.jpg

Henrik Lundqvist has allowed 2 goals or less in 16 of 18 games. He amazes me.

If he continues at this pace and doesn't win the Vezina this year, there is something wrong. He is the best goalie in the game right now.

Quick question... what types of styles do teams employ? I remember the Devils coming to prominence with the Neutral Zone Trap but it seems like the opened offense tends to neutralize that (no pun intended), right? I also hear teams like Detroit and Colorado use a "run-and-gun" style but do teams just use that for one line or do only teams like Detroit use it for 3-4 lines?

Forty-eight fucking shots against tonight. Carey Price's 46-save effort is remarkable, but will play second fiddle to the 21 shots he was peppered with in the final frame.

But good news! Robert Lang (who I can't rag on - he's on pace for about 27 or 28 goals, when I'd be happy with him getting 15-20) scored on the powerplay - that brings the team's PP rate to 14.6. Yeesh.

As much as I didn't want Samsonov to score tonight, I can't get too upset - it's his first goal of the season.

Wild game in Boston tonight. 4-4 about five minutes into the second. Some of the idiots were sarcastically cheering Fernandez but Buffalo's goals were all deflections or a fucking ridiculous backhander by Pominville.

edit: Of course, Kobasew gives the Bruins the lead by bouncing one off of Miller. I love this team.

edit 2: Once the Bruins went back to the umbrella style on the powerplay, their powerplay has been clicking. Kobasew and Ryder down by the net taking the damage, Bergeron and Savard in the high slot along the walls and Chara at the top with his shot. Bergeron and Savard have the passing abilities and Kobasew and Ryder have the ability to deflect.

Powerplay 2 seems to be Kessel and Lucic down low (again, Kessel willing to get dirty by the net on the powerplay), Krejci running it along the wall with Wideman and Hunwick on the point. Then they run the overload with either Kessel/Krejci along the wall, Lucic in front and Kessel/Krejci looking for the back door pass. The defense can pinch in and outnumber down low, but they have to be agile, something Wideman and Hunwick are.

Man,the Rangers are off tonight. Vancouver looks awesome tonight. The D looks slow, and Hank is off, they look tired. Please end this game already.

Rangers were at one point down 4-0, it's now 5-3. Even if Vancouver holds on, this Rangers team really has a lot of heart, and are showing a knack for the comeback. The first 30 minutes of this game were the worst 30 minutes of the season, and the team is still in the game. It's an unusual feeling when games like this don't leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I really feel good about this team.

Rangers were at one point down 4-0, it's now 5-3. Even if Vancouver holds on, this Rangers team really has a lot of heart, and are showing a knack for the comeback. The first 30 minutes of this game were the worst 30 minutes of the season, and the team is still in the game. It's an unusual feeling when games like this don't leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I really feel good about this team.

That's one thing they've done all year long, they just don't give up. Down 4-0 and still playing hard. If anything, the one major problem with this team is the power play. I don't know what can make them better, but they need something. 7 sort handed goals is a horrible stat.

That's one thing they've done all year long, they just don't give up. Down 4-0 and still playing hard. If anything, the one major problem with this team is the power play. I don't know what can make them better, but they need something. 7 sort handed goals is a horrible stat.

I certainly didn't. I figured I was in for a treat of a game just based on seeing the league's two best goalies head-to-head. Five goals in six minutes or so was all kinds of entertaining.

The Sabres are a team filled with a bunch of faggots who don't want to play hard... And Thomas Vanek. He's such a league above the rest of the team it's actually sad to watch. I feel BAD for the guy. He leads the league in goals and his linemates are having TERRIBLE years. If he was on a good line...he'd have 20 already...