TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

NFL WEEK 10

This is really interesting. It is a list of the 20 highest paid players in the NFL.

1. QB Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh $ 27,701,920

2. DE Jared Allen, Minnesota $ 21,119,256

3. WR Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona $ 17,103,480

4. WR JaMarcus Russell, Oakland $ 16,872,400

5. RB Michael Turner, Atlanta $ 16,003,840

6. G Chris Snee, N.Y. Giants $ 14,890,000

7. CB Asante Samuel, Philadelphia $ 14,145,000

8. WR Randy Moss, New England $ 14,006,720

9. T Flozell Adams, Dallas $ 14,005,760

10 .DT Tommy Kelly, Oakland $ 13,978,480

11. WR Terrell Owens, Dallas $ 13,731,560

12. WR Bernard Berrian, Minnesota $ 13,705,000

13. T Michael Roos, Tennessee $ 13,505,520

14. C Jeff Faine, Tampa Bay $ 13,105,760

15. DE Will Smith, New Orleans $ 12,950,000

16. QB Tony Romo, Dallas $ 12,886,600

17. G Travelle Wharton, Carolina $ 12,850,000

18. DE Antwan Odom, Cincinnati $ 12,800,000

19. CB Terence Newman, Dallas $ 12,611,240

20. RB Marion Barber, Dallas $ 12,522,400

List courtesy of USA Today.

The list is a bit misleading, though because it slants extremely heavily towards guys who just signed new contracts. It's probably completely different every year. For example I think Roethlisberger's number next year will only be something like $7 million even though this year it's $27 million. I think Michael Turner only gets $1 million in 09.

The list is a bit misleading, though because it slants extremely heavily towards guys who just signed new contracts. It's probably completely different every year. For example I think Roethlisberger's number next year will only be something like $7 million even though this year it's $27 million. I think Michael Turner only gets $1 million in 09.

Correct. Bonuses are added to base salary in the formula. Therefore, guys who just got new contracts have the benefit of the signing bonus added in (Big Ben's was $25 million this year). If you were to do a list with AAV, it would look a lot different. But that would be equally misleading, as most contracts are terminated by the team long before they actually end.

Didn't catch the JaMarcus as WR thing. I just c/p the list.

Guest Vitamin X

Glad to see the conversation over the last page or so made me happy to be a Packers fan for two reasons:

1. No meddling owner, and no chance of ever having one, really.

2. Not a single Packer in that top 20 list, although Greg Jennings might command a salary there soon enough.

I think JaMarcus Russell was a terrible draft pick to begin with, and the Raiders really, really need to work on that offense. Although I wouldn't call the Raiders the worst organization in football; I think the Lions and Cardinals (although the latter is trying to reject that this year) still hold that distinction.

I'm leaning on JaMarcus Russell being a bust myself, but its hard for any rookie qb to be good around the pile of shit known as the Raiders offensive line and wideouts. This offense will probably go down as the all time worst ever. I think the Raider offense has scored only 7 or 8 touchdowns in 8 games.

Even though I'm a fan, the Raiders are the worst organization is sports right now. No other team is a committed to dysfunction, secrecy and stupidity than the Raiders are. I don't think its about winning anymore. I have never seen a culture so ingrained in losing football in my life.I wish we had the Lions or Cardinals front office right now. Its that bad.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

The Bears can give the Raiders a run in the dysfunction/secrecy departments. The big one would be l'affaire Griese from last year when through a series of press conferences he was forced to give all the credit for the game-winning drive to Lovie Smith, and then you have all of Lovie's general lies and treating fans and media like retarded toddlers.

Guest Vitamin X
The Bears can give the Raiders a run in the dysfunction/secrecy departments. The big one would be l'affaire Griese from last year when through a series of press conferences he was forced to give all the credit for the game-winning drive to Lovie Smith, and then you have all of Lovie's general lies and treating fans and media like retarded toddlers.

Well it's not like he's without precedent for the former.

I have never seen a culture so ingrained in losing football in my life.

As incompetent as the Raiders are, I really don't think that you can top the Lions, who are so accepting of being losers that it drove Barry Sanders into an early retirement.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Nor the latter, come to think of it, but we're not all Ditka-worshipping meatballs or incompetent sports radio beat reporters. It's just blocking, tackling, running, and passing. This is nothing beyond our feeble non-Lovie minds. We successfully figured out that you "bend but don't break," and guess what, so has the whole goddamn league, by the looks of it. Now tell us why you insist on sticking to such a tired and solved defensive scheme (run by a tired defense) instead of using maybe-greatest Chicago linebacker ever Brian Urlacher to plant the replacement-level quarterbacks the Bears have faced in 2008. We can also deduce that if a 300-pound man comes over and steps on an ankle that's already moving the wrong way, the man to whom that ankle is attached is not going to be game-ready in a week. Like I said in the other thread, I don't want Ditka or Singletary coaching the team, but when the pendulum swings so far the other way into this realm of paranoia and obfuscation, you just want someone to give it to you straight, without pretending that this is some sort of intellectually heavy business. Don't forget that Lovie was preceded by Dick Jauron, who was always muttering on about "getting into an athletic rhythm" or "getting their football information." We've got some real fuckin' professors here.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Hey, speaking of Jauron, we have a lot of Buffalo fans here: hasn't he said ANYTHING retarded yet? He's been there for like three years; he should've served up a nice big batch of cookies by now. Stuff like "we're working on making football moves" or "some of us need to devote more of ourselves to devotion" or other odd phrases that make your head explode.

Missed kicked on Bronco's opening drive. Cutler was just slinging those passes wildly.

And the Browns defense continues to suck.

That was a good brave pass from Quinn for his 1st NFL touchdown.

Bad thing about Thursday Night Football: Having to watch the "game" on nfl.com and getting more talking than game footage.

They didn't even allow the playing teams' local markets to televise the game as they have in previous seasons.

Are they just doing "live look-ins" the way they've done in years past and not following the NBC model and actually streaming the entire game?

Lame.

I always find it odd, that here in the UK I pretty have the pick of games to watch. Where as in the US its limited to the local markets. Sky Sports are very good to us Brits as far as American Football is concerned.

So if Brady Quinn wins his first game, is that going to create more problems for the Browns and Derek Anderson? Will it over inflate Quinn's stock within in the NFL, after his 'freefall' draft in 07? One thing I have to mention is, he's not afraid to stand up in the pocket to get the ball out and take the hit after release.

Actually, they are apparently showing the game in Cleveland on the station my Time Warner affiliate dropped last year. But yeah, live look-ins with oddly placed commercial breaks.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Yeah, JHawk, I'm pretty sure the rule is that all sold-out home games and road games have to be available over the air in the home markets. This is why Monday Night Football still pops up on ABC here and there. If the NFL repealed that rule for their stupid network, fuck them.

I always find it odd, that here in the UK I pretty have the pick of games to watch. Where as in the US its limited to the local markets. Sky Sports are very good to us Brits as far as American Football is concerned.

It's not that odd. We get the hometown team and a few other games for free, and if we want the full selection, we pay for a special tier. Like it is for you, the ability to get any NFL game anywhere is a luxury. Why do I want or need a Seahawks game?

Joey Porter is having quite the entertaining week. First he made Brandon Marshall go insane, then for some reason he decided to point out how ridiculous it is that Matt Jones still hasn't missed a game despite his cocaine arrest. For a minute I thought the Dolphins must be playing the Jaguars this week, but it turns out they don't play all year. (I'm sure he was probably asked specifically about it, I don't see him just mentioning it for no reason.) And Matt Jones has issued a great response.

I don't even know why he's even thinking about me. I mean, maybe he likes other men and sits up and thinks about stuff, so I don't know. ... Is Joey Porter the commissioner? Then why would I even worry about it?

He must be one of those gays who does his thinking sitting up. All the heteros lay down when they think about stuff.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I went to bed at half time, since it was like 3 in the morning or something, watched the rest now and FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Browns seriously, how can you just give up a lead like that... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! Next week Edwards is dropped and Derek Anderson plays WR.

Romeo's play calling again came back to cost us a win, where the hell were the D on Bronco's 96 Yard play? McDonald was screaming for some extra cover his side but NOOOOOOOOOOO.

What's going on with Winslow as well? Awesome 1st half, over confident 2nd half, costing two big plays and handing the ball back to Bronco's.

Browns' D sucks.

This is the Broncs' eight-straighth win over Cleveland. I don't want to say I'm surprised Denver won tonight, but I really thought Cleveland was the better team going in. Jay Cutler throwing for damn near 450 yards will do that, I guess.