TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE SmackDown - November 14, 2008

This week:

- In a dark match, Chavo Guerrero beat Ryan Braddock after a frogsplash.

- A casket is brought into the ring before Jim Ross and Tazz make their way to ringside as the tapings are about to get started.

- Smackdown starts with the focus on the casket. Undertaker’s voice can be heard as he cuts a promo on Big Show. He’s taking Smackdown to the depths of hell. Taker then pops out of the casket. Jeff Hardy, wearing a painted mask, interrupts on the video screen. He says tonight its going to be Extreme. Taker says that Hardy will Rest In Peace tonight.

- Matt Hardy vs. Shelton Benjamin is made for tonight, along with a contract signing between Triple H and Vladimir Kozlov, plus Maria vs. Michelle McCool for the women’s title.

- Matt Hardy beat Shelton Benjamin in a great TV match. Two really good matches in two nights for Hardy.

- THE Brian Kendrick beat Carlito after Carlito was distracted by Big Zeke who attacked Primo on the outside.

- A Kizarny promo airs, as does a John Cena video. Manchester doesn’t care for Cena tonight.

- The contract signing is up next. Vickie Guerrero comes out to huge heat. Koslov is introduced first, then Triple H. Huge pop for H. Trips rips into Vickie before Koslov signs the contract. He then tries to talk but is cut off. Triple H then tries to talk but Jeff Hardy comes out of nowhere and hits a swanton bomb on Kozlov through the table!

- MVP vs. Kung Fu Naki is up next. The match barely gets started before The Great Khali comes out. He distracts MVP and Funaki gets the win. MVP loses again. Khali stays at ringside as its Kiss Cam time!

- The Kiss Cam sees a large woman come into the ring. She dances for Khali and kisses him. MVP is laid on the ground after being chopped and chokeslammed by Khali. The big girl gets down on the mat and kisses MVP.

- Michelle McCool beat Maria by submission to retain the Divas title. Jesse and Festus were at ringside to watch. Festus hears the bell at the end of the match and gets in the ring to check Maria is ok.

- Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy in an Extreme Rules match is up next. They go to the outside early but return to the ring just as quick. Undertaker is in control and throws Hardy into the barricade before getting a chair and using it as a weapon to legdrop on to Hardy. Hardy fights back with a kendo stick shot on the outside but Taker soon regains control.

- Hardy is bounced off the announce table but tries to make a comeback. He sends Taker face first then hits him from off the barricade. Taker tries to hit Old School but its blocked. Hardy throws a ladder at Taker. He then hits Whisper in the Wind. Big Show comes out to chokeslam Taker. Taker then goes for Show with a chair but Hardy nails Taker with the chair instead. Hardy then climbs a ladder and hits a legdrop on Taker to get the pinfall win.

More detailed spoilers:

By Stephen Lyon.

From: Manchester, England, U.K. (or just ‘United Kingdom’; it could be one of England, Scotland or Wales. WWE doesn’t deem it important to specify what country they taped tv in – again – let alone what city).

Boy, was this a long night. In short, the next two weeks are great for Jeff Hardy, and the exact opposite for MVP.

The M.E.N. Arena was a sellout for the second night running, which for tv is about 13-14,000.

Dark Match: A) Chavo Guerrero Jr defeated Ryan Braddock, after a frogsplash. Braddock now has a short, JBL-esque hairstyle. He still looked green here.

They played the first of a zillion John Cena videos, as they set up the ring with a casket for the opening of Smackdown. J.R. and Tazz came out, both to cheers.

For November 14th:

Show opens cold, with a casket in the ring, and Undertaker speaking menacingly about how he was going to destroy Big Show at the Survivor Series. We could only hear Taker’s voice and couldn’t see him. Suddenly the casket opened, and it was revealed that Undertaker was speaking from inside the casket. He climbed out and carrying on with his promo. Jeff Hardy came on the screen, and cut a really weird, heelish, Raven-esque promo, talking about his ‘Extreme Rules’ match with Taker later on the show. Hardy was wearing full ‘Beetlejuice-like’ face paint for this. Very strange Hardy promo.

1) Matt Hardy defeated Shelton Benjamin in a non-title, champion vs champion match. It went about 15 minutes, pretty good. Hardy won with the Twist of Fate.

2) The Brian Kendrick (w/Ezekiel) defeated Carlito (w/Primo). This was a decent match. Finish came when Ezekiel shoulder-charged Primo outside the ring, knocking him over, and Kendrick pinned Carlito after hitting the Sliced Bread #2 on him.

Ring crew then set the ring up for a Triple H-Vladimir Kozlov contract signing. A Kizarny vignette aired, similar to the others. This gizimick is stizupid. Yet another John Cena video aired.

Next came the big contract signing, with Vickie Guerrero (in her wheelchair) and Chavo Guerrero Jr in the ring. Vladimir Kozlov came out, wearing a sports coat and jeans. Triple H was wearing shades, a leather jacket, and jeans. HHH’s mic wasn’t working at first, so you won’t see that on tv. HHH said it was an honour to be in the ring, and called this contract signing, ‘like the United Nations’. He said he represented the U.S., Chavo represented Mexico, Kozlov represented Russia, and Vickie represented ‘Bulge-garia’. Vickie was aghast. HHH corrected himself and said she represented ‘Chunky-slavakia’. Once he was done, he turned to Kozlov and made fun of the way he talked, and said he would beat him at the Survivor Series. Kozlov signed the contract. As HHH was about to, Jeff Hardy came running through the crowd, hopped the barrier, climbed to the top rope, and put Kozlov through the table in the middle of the ring. He then snatched the contract, ripped it up into bits and threw them into HHH’s face, before leaving.

They announced that at the Survivor Series, it would be Team HBK (Shawn Michaels & Rey Mysterio & Cryme Tyme & Great Khali) vs Team JBL (JBL & The Miz & John Morrison & Kane & MVP).

3) Kung Fu Naki pinned MVP rather quickly via roll up, after Great Khali came out and distracted MVP, before chopping him on the head. Funaki hit the Crane before pinning him. Khali then entered the ring with Runjin Singh and held the Khali Kiss Cam. During this, MVP kept trying to attack Khali, and Khali kept laying him out. Khali brought an over-weight, middle-aged woman into the ring. He was about to kiss her, but then Singh said that she should kiss the prone MVP instead, which she did. She pounced on MVP, ‘Mae Young-style’ and rolled around the ring kissing him. Poor MVP.

4) Michelle McCool retained the WWE Divas title, defeating Maria quickly via submission. Jesse & Festus came out during this, and Festus was carrying a teddy bear for Maria. When the bell rang to end the match, Festus became enraged and chased McCool away. Maria calmed him down, and he gave her the teddy bear.

5) In the main event, Jeff Hardy pinned the Undertaker in an Extreme Rules match. This was a very good match, similar to the Jericho vs Michaels match on Raw this past week. They brawled all around the ringside area. Hardy used a kendo stick on Taker at one point, which garnered a lot of boos. Crowd was split almost 50-50, but you got the feeling that nobody was going to boo Taker. Hardy brought a ladder into use too. Finish came when Big Show came out and chokeslammed Taker. He threw Hardy to the outside, but Hardy held on to him over the top rope, and Taker nailed him in the back with a chair. Hardy then levelled Taker with a chairshot, then jumped off the top rope and leapfrogged the ladder, into a legdrop, on to Taker, pinning him clean. Well, ‘clean’ after all the interference. At least Taker sold the pin, and didn’t pop up straight away after being pinned by Hardy, as a certain Son-In-Law did later in his match with Hardy. End of show.

Afterwards, there was a five minute break. J.R. and Tazz briefly went to the back, changed clothing attire and came back out again. At around 9:30pm, the ring announcer said that there would be ‘another two hours of Smackdown action’. Even the promise of a Triple H vs Jeff Hardy match didn’t stop some parents with young children leaving at this point.

Eh, a moment with Kane/UT ala Benoit/Guerrero probably would get shit upon from all of us, and a lot of WWE employees, I would assume.

Maybe so.

But I could have still seen it happen, Vince saying "We need SOMETHING to replace that".

Eh, a moment with Kane/UT ala Benoit/Guerrero probably would get shit upon from all of us, and a lot of WWE employees, I would assume.

Maybe so.

But I could have still seen it happen, Vince saying "We need SOMETHING to replace that".

But that doesn't replace Benoit and Guerrero at all.

Maybe so.

Maybe not in a normal person's mind, but this is Vince logic here.

Maybe so.

They could replace it in one sense of the word. Of course the original moment is never going away.

That Kane/UT idea sounds ridiculous. Why have those two guys break kayfabe for no reason?

Maybe so.

Maybe not in a normal person's mind, but this is Vince logic here.

Why would Vince allow Taker and Kane to be as emotional as Benoit and Guerrero? Plus Vince doesn't care about the ECW title to begin with, let alone having it take centre stage at Wrestlemania

Maybe so.

They could replace it in one sense of the word. Of course the original moment is never going away.

That Kane/UT idea sounds ridiculous. Why have those two guys break kayfabe for no reason?

Um...I'm talking about back at WrestleMania XXIV.

Back then, they were both faces, and would team on occassion.

I could have seen them just standing in the ring, holding their belts proudly...and WWE using that where they would have put the Benoit/Guerrero moment.

I could have seen them just standing in the ring, holding their belts proudly...and WWE using that where they would have put the Benoit/Guerrero moment.

Taker winning his 100th title and Kane winning a meaningless belt would not be something that WWE uses to replace the Benoit/Guerrero moment.

WWE has many "WM Moments" for the highlight reel and just because they can't show that particular moment again doesn't mean they need to manufacture a synthetic version.

I'm just curious, but I did forgot Kane was a face then so you answered my question at least. Shows how memorable the booking can be.

(Also, I don't know if they'd do a kayfabe/breaking kayfabe moment like that. I expect them to do a Hardyz thing one day, though. Assuming one or both don't get fired before then.)

I don't think the Benoit/Eddie ending of Mania XX can be erased. This is not something like Lesnar and Orton in that both guys made headline news with their deaths and that moment was all over mainstream television news. People won't forget that. Of course, Steph and Shane seem to be on "starting from a clean plate", so who knows what the hell they will come up with. I don't even think the Orton thing erased Lesnar either because Lesnar beat Rock for the title in all intent and purposes Rock's real last match. That after beating Hulk Hogan at Mania. Orton could have been big, but we know how that reign turned out and not to mention the Benoit connection again to him with the title and Mania XX.

UT/Kane celebrations is a bit much. A funeral celebration :lol:

Wow what's with the Jeff Hardy hell turn? The fans love him. Also the face paint? I remember before when he used to come out his face used to glow but then they stopped that and now it's coming back again.

DCH.. Jeff Hardy's character really needed a little freshening, in my opinion.

Weird facepainted Jeff Hardy trying to outdo himself every time Vickie says no to him would have me watching.

Hell, the main event alone's results has me waiting to watch SmackDown tonight (well, I kinda have to.. even though my Primo and Carlito guys, despite being YOUR tag-team champions, never seem to pick up wins).