TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - December 2008

The best thread in the history of this site however was the Raw from 2002 where Nash tore his quad. That was sheer brilliance yet to be matched.

I remember that one poster who loved all the hoss's and hated all the IC's favorite wrestlers was crying about all of us laughing at Nash. I believe that poster was a huge Test fan as well.

Let's get serious for a minute. I'm neither a John Cena hater nor a fan, but I enjoy his matches more often than not. I thought the promo he cut backstage tonight was hideous. I know some people enjoyed it, and it's really a spectacle how divided his popularity is at time. But holy Christ, the stuff they're forcing on him makes him look like a five year old who can stay up late and watch grown up shows. I vaguely recall thinking he was funny before I stopped watching a few years back, and when I started watching again full time this year, I was generally annoyed at his promos with his match against Triple H*, but I can't remember anything else he's done that bad this year. I know I'm unashamedly watching pro wrestling, but I was just as embarrassed watching that promo as I was when I was sitting in theaters and the new musical number in Jabba's palace hit in the special edition of Return of the Jedi.

*FWIW, these would consist of Cena explaining that this match happening automatically made it a guaranteed legendary moment on the scale of Hogan/Andre and Rock/Austin. It was just such a pandering, empty gesture.

I HATE Cena based almost solely on his absolutely shitty attempt at the STFU. He just places his arms around the opponents head and flexes thinking that makes it look like he's pulling back hard, however more often than not you can see daylight between his arms and his opponents head, and his opponents head bouncing around between his arms. If he just cranked back on the head a bit...

A lot of the other stuff he is hated for you can assume he's booked to do (no sell Superman and silly promos), but I'm pretty damn sure he's not told by the road agents to do a shitty STFU.

I HATE Cena based almost solely on his absolutely shitty attempt at the STFU. He just places his arms around the opponents head and flexes thinking that makes it look like he's pulling back hard, however more often than not you can see daylight between his arms and his opponents head, and his opponents head bouncing around between his arms. If he just cranked back on the head a bit...

A lot of the other stuff he is hated for you can assume he's booked to do (no sell Superman and silly promos), but I'm pretty damn sure he's not told by the road agents to do a shitty STFU.

I will agree with you on that. Cena's STFU is beyond the point of being laughable. As I've stated time and time again, ever since Armageddon, I called bullshit when after 3 minutes in the Walls of Jericho, Cena magically escapes, locks in his poor attempt submission, and has Jericho tapping like a mad man within 5 seconds. It wouldn't be such a big deal if he actually cinched-in on the move. As you said, connecting his hands and flexing his biceps does not sell me on the effectiveness of this move. At WM 22, he had Triple H in a half-way decent STFU. He almost had Triple H in a cobra clutch prior to the submission win. With Shawn Michaels the following year, it looked like he was going to tear his knee out of socket, and he had his arms hooked from the side, to look like he was also trying to wrench his head off. It's little things like that, that go a long way. Not his usual "phoning it in" method of applying the STFU where he just lays on his opponents back, bends one leg at the knee, and puts him in a weak headlock.

Here's another thing that I have questioned. With WWE's current kid friendly appeal, why is this man still using finishers called the FU and STFU? I know it's the whole name recognition thing and all, but yea.

Also, in regards to Cena's LOUD, SCREAMING promo last night with Steph, how many 8 year-olds actually know why Harry Caray is?

Here's another thing that I have questioned. With WWE's current kid friendly appeal, why is this man still using finishers called the FU and STFU? I know it's the whole name recognition thing and all, but yea.

If there's one thing that I associate with children nowadays, it is stupid AIM/Cell Phone texting acronyms. Regardless of what they stand for. I'll never forgive television for showing that "My BFF Jill" phone commercial.

Do we not bother using ECW Spoilers, i've seen some online but I never see a thread for them.

You can start the thread if you want, as long as you're not complaining about not watching it ala the Armageddon thread.

How come no ECW on Sci Fi thread? I would start one, but the show more than halfway over already and I have no idea if anybody else is watching it anyway.

Chat room? I got first round.

DJ Gabriel is on and Alicia Fox is lookin' hawt.

I have no interest in starting a thread for a show I don't watch until Saturday morning on a Tuesday. The last time I did, it got SIX replies, so I figured whoever watches ECW can just start one. It had a 2 page thread the following week. Weird.

So yeah, it's pretty hit or miss - if Chris or Downhome start one, it has one, but if they don't, oh well.

Burchill and Katie Lea were switched to the brand of unwanted toys (aka ECW) permanently. Since it's still taped with Raw, it's not much of a difference, but it will give Burchill one last hope at keeping his job. I'd like to see Burchill join forces with Mark Henry - I think it would be a pretty badass pairing.

Seeing he was given a good show of offense against Gabriel and wasn't pissed with his finisher, you have to figure Gabriel and Burchill will have a feud of sorts. I have to assume Burchill will break out his "We're both British, but your more like Elton John whereas I'm Jack the Ripper" line he used on Gabriel while both were feuding in OVW.

Katie and Victoria could also scrap in a rare ECW women's match now as well.

One thing that does surprise me is that DJ Gabriel I guess is supposed to be a face character.

It was surreal seeing him interview Jim Cornette leading into RR94.

Lane: Yokozuna may end up in the casket.

(Yoko freaks out)

Cornette: Don't say that word!

Lane: What word, casket?

(Yoko freaks out)