TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - December 2008

Director of "The Wrestler," Darren Aronofsky, said in a recent interview that Vince McMahon called him, requesting a private screening of the movie.

A small follow up to this, I heard an interview with Aronofsky today on the Howard Stern Show, and he said he is personally giving VKM a screening tomorrow. Howard said he thinks McMahon will love it but from what I have heard of the movie, I don't know.

He also said they had a screening yesterday attended by Flair, Valentine, Piper and Beefcake where Piper apparently cried.

Honestly, I can't think of anything in the movie that McMahon would specifically dislike. It's not like some Beyond The Mat kinda thing.

Cactus Jack's theme won't ever be put on a CD because it's just stock music. I hear it on some of ESPN's stuff along with Hardcore/Crash Holly's music.

So who wants to bet there will be a tie finish again? Who is favorite to win? HHH to go on to challenge Hardy? Or will Edge get the title back by then? Who's going to face Cena at WM? Batista would be a good bet.

I'd love to see HBK win the RR and then challenge Undertaker. I think it could be an epic storyline where HBK says he's had the titles before and will god willing fight for titles again, but the chance to fight The Undertaker at WM in Texas and beat him is too good to pass up. HBK vs Undertaker in the Main Event at WM - The Streak vs the Showstopper.

30068_PPV_RR_aff_ban_300x450.jpg

Not that exciting of a poster.

I prefer the years where they had the 30-40 WWE/F wrestlers showed in a gang battle but all of them were cartoon versions of the real self.

It was more like a dozen or so wrestlers and a bunch of faceless shapes in the background. And it looked like they were all on the same side, ready to kick your ass. I miss those.

Where's the Orton headlock in that poster?

30068_PPV_RR_aff_ban_300x450.jpg

Not that exciting of a poster.

That's a lot of headlock type of moves in one poster. It's like the evolution of headlocks!

Also, I'm trying to get tickets for a Smackdown show in Fresno. Does anyone know how I can get a pre-sale code for that show (or in general).

Where's the Orton headlock in that poster?

That's a lot of headlock type of moves in one poster. It's like the evolution of headlocks!

Maybe Orton came up with that poster.

is it just me, or is ONS 2005 the best PPV of the 2000's?

If that is the Original One Night Stand, Foley's commentary ruins it. Bastard talked through Sandmans entrance. I mean if there was ever a time for the commentators to just shut up that was it.

Speaking of HBK and WrestleMania, I really hope this angle with JBL isn't stretched out to a match there. I'm not as down on JBL as a lot of people, but it would be a total waste to have him wrestle HBK at WM in my opinion. Like so many people mention, HBK and Taker would be nice, Austin is a possibility, or perhaps another match with Triple H. I know their last feud went forever, but I think enough time has passed, and the DX reunion has been going on long enough that another heel turn by Hunter on Shawn would be fresh to a lot of people. HHH is probably already pencilled in as HBK's retirement opponent though.

is it just me, or is ONS 2005 the best PPV of the 2000's?

If that is the Original One Night Stand, Foley's commentary ruins it. Bastard talked through Sandmans entrance. I mean if there was ever a time for the commentators to just shut up that was it.

yeah, that was the original. i wasn't a fan of foley's commentary either, but the electricity in the building that night was insane. it made me realize how much i miss ECW.

Yeah, that was the original. I wasn't a fan of foley's commentary either, but the electricity in the building that night was insane. It made me realize how much i miss ECW.

Shift button please. ONS really isn't that good. Up until Tanaka-Awesome, the show was blah at best.

Summerslam 2002, Wrestlemania X-7, Wrestlemania XX, hell this year's No Mercy was better.

A couple things I've noticed on Smackdown so far, 30 minutes in:

The WWE title used to have a Smackdown plate, but it was changed to one that says "Mon Nite Raw" when Cena switched brands. But even now, the belt still has the Raw plate.

I know there's an unwritten rule that in WWE, black wrestlers invariably feud or team with other black wrestlers. But why has Hurricane only worked with black guys since his return? He's wrestled against MVP and Shelton Benjamin in singles matches, then against both in a tag match with R-Truth as his partner. Next week, he faces Shelton 1 on 1. Maybe Vince saw Helms' do-rag and got confused.

Finally, does anyone actually get MyNetwork TV in HD? I'm getting my HD receiver and dish for DirecTV next Friday, but they don't offer MNTV in HD.

Yeah, Insight has MyNetwork TV in HD. It sometimes gets scrambled up though, hard to explain it unless you see it. Usually just momentary and rights itself however.

ONS 05 is a great show and it's about the atmosphere and nostalgia. Comparing it to a PPV like WM 17 is tough to do since the shows are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I've never gotten the love for SummerSlam 2002. In fact I think SummerSlam 2001 is a better show. But it had the Invasion at its core, so automatically people look down on it or something.

Yeah, Insight has MyNetwork TV in HD. It sometimes gets scrambled up though, hard to explain it unless you see it. Usually just momentary and rights itself however.

ONS 05 is a great show and it's about the atmosphere and nostalgia. Comparing it to a PPV like WM 17 is tough to do since the shows are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I've never gotten the love for SummerSlam 2002. In fact I think SummerSlam 2001 is a better show. But it had the Invasion at its core, so automatically people look down on it or something.

People also look down at SummerSlam 2001 due to the ending of Austin-Angle, as if a DQ finish automatically ruins the first 23 minutes in its entirety.

Seriously, Austin-Angle was probably number two on my MOTY list that year, and everybody talks about it as being above average at best because of the finish (which actually made sense given the story of the match).

Austin-Angle is one of my favorite matches of all time and it built to their rematch, which was also excellent. Fuck the haters. 2001 was great, with some quality undercard stuff. Summerslams 2000, 2001, and 2002 all rocked hard.

So who wants to bet there will be a tie finish again? Who is favorite to win? HHH to go on to challenge Hardy? Or will Edge get the title back by then? Who's going to face Cena at WM? Batista would be a good bet.

I'd love to see HBK win the RR and then challenge Undertaker. I think it could be an epic storyline where HBK says he's had the titles before and will god willing fight for titles again, but the chance to fight The Undertaker at WM in Texas and beat him is too good to pass up. HBK vs Undertaker in the Main Event at WM - The Streak vs the Showstopper.

The logical Rumble conclusion to me seems to be Orton winning after eliminating either Edge or Triple H. If they're going to go the Batista vs Cena route however, it would make more sense for either Edge or Triple H to win the Rumble, since I get the feeling the crowd would crap all over Batista winning it.

SummerSlam 02's main event build up was soooooooo good. Rock and Brock was basically set up as a true athletic contest and not a blow off match to end a long storyline. It was also Rock's last full time WWE/F main event. The fans turning on Rock at the end was awesome.

MNT is in HD but it's the station's decision to run it in HD. Where I live, it's a sub-channel and the engineers can't run HD on MNT without it stealing bandwidth from the main channel so until WWE jumps to another network, I'm stuck watching SD in 4x3.

I always liked the 2nd ONS over the first. The heat for Cena is something we'll never see again.

Maybe the WWE title has Raw and Smackdown on it because they're WWE shows? SD plate could be on it but it's never shown clearly on tv. Gotta see the latest replica to be sure. I don't think the WHC belt has a show on it.

I don't think HHH will be Shawn's last match. A mid-carder on the edge of getting that next level push has to pin Shawn. A guy like Morrison. HHH pinning Shawn wouldn't do anything for HHH and becomes pretty meaningless.

I don't think HHH will be Shawn's last match. A mid-carder on the edge of getting that next level push has to pin Shawn. A guy like Morrison. HHH pinning Shawn wouldn't do anything for HHH and becomes pretty meaningless.

I like this idea in theory. However, its been rumored that HBK wants the big Flair sendoff for his retirement, and a respect match with HHH fits that better than losing to a heel up-and-comer. HBK pinning Flair in his final match this year didn't do a thing for HBK, but the whole deal was so awesome that no one really complained about it.

I like this idea in theory. However, its been rumored that HBK wants the big Flair sendoff for his retirement, and a respect match with HHH fits that better than losing to a heel up-and-comer. HBK pinning Flair in his final match this year didn't do a thing for HBK, but the whole deal was so awesome that no one really complained about it.

Thing is, we've all see HHH vs HBK many times. I don't recall ever seeing HBK vs Flair before the retirement match.. and if it did happen it didn't happen often. IMO, they should try to do a huge dream match for HBK's retirement. Sting would be great, but we know that'll never happen.

I thought the signature joke was funny. Yeah, if someone were to actually say, "Yo Kennedy! Can I have your signature?" there's no joke there for Ken to get, but for the audience HTQ was telling the joke for, it was funny.

What if you emphasize signature and hand him a pen in the shape of a syringe (which they do sell)?

There was one packaged with the most recent DVD release of Re-Animator. ;)