TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
St. Gabe

Merry Christmas!

So, let's discuss our love or disdain for this most joyous time of year. I love it personally, and I'm not sure why, its something intangible about the feeling of the season. Nothing religious, just something gutteral that makes me feel good.

Do you like it? hate it? indifferent?

let's talk, friends...and in the signature? me+microsoft paint=Santa Gabe

I enjoy the feeling of waking up on X-Mas day and the 20 or so minutes of gift-giving. Then it's a LOOOOONG wait for dinner which is good and after that I just get hammered drunk.

I find that the older I get the more I can't wait for the entire season to be over.

Guest Smues

I've always loved the Christmas season, and I always will. The music, the weather, the food, I love it all. Moving to Alaska has made it all the better as I don't have to wait as long to get the snowy weather I associate with Christmas. I'm usually in my best mood of the year around Christmas time.

I loooove Christmas. I like how we all just collectively decide to put up shit on our houses, get each other gifts, be nicer just a lil bit during the season... ok, that last one was a stretch. Christmas music, decoration, movies... love it all.

Guest Czecherbear
I blame my hatred of Xmas on working in retail for six years....but I can recall a disdain for it before my career started.

It's not all bad, it just seems to get overdone.

You have to overdo it, because for the next three months, what is there? Nothing at all.

You know what I miss about Christmas? That Fruity Pebbles commercial. You know the one I'm talking about. Also, the Garfield Christmas special on CBS. I miss Garfield specials on CBS period. None of these major networks want to provide prime-time programming that's good for the whole family anymore. Damn shame I say. Today's kids only know Garfield as a CG reverse anthropomorphism of Bill Murray.

I had a video tape when I was a kid that was a kick-ass mixture of X-Mas specials. Mickey's Christmas Carol, A Muppet Family Christmas, Rudolph, A For Better or For Worse Holiday Special, Jim Henson's A Christmas Toy.....so much good stuff. Wore that tape right out.

I had a video tape when I was a kid that was a kick-ass mixture of X-Mas specials. Mickey's Christmas Carol, A Muppet Family Christmas, Rudolph, A For Better or For Worse Holiday Special, Jim Henson's A Christmas Toy.....so much good stuff. Wore that tape right out.

I did too, with the commercial breaks in place. I haven't seen it in nearly a decade and a half, unfortunately.

As someone else has already said, since I started working in retail, I hate Christmas. Then again, it does give me a great excuse to not go and visit my grandparents on my moms side of the family. What I also hate is you have to get so and so for people and you look everywhere for it and then end up ordering it online - two weeks later - you see the damn thing out!

Muppet Family Christmas IS the best Christmas special of all time.

"Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas" is the better Jim Henson Christmas special.

Close but no Fraggle Rock/Seaseme Street/Muppets trifecta of awesomeness.

I enjoy Christmas, mainly because I get to come home and see people I like, eat eggs benedict and whatnot. I also find that I become really more conscientious about making sure to acknowledge people, especially those in retail. Though if the next couple weeks go well, I may have another reason to love the season.

Guest Vitamin X

I used to enjoy Christmas before I moved out on my own. Every year since then, it's been kind of a bore and mostly a letdown- last year I had to spend it with my ex and this year I'm probably going to be by myself (although eating a decent dinner the night before with some folks I know) and both times I've been (and currently am) so awfully broke I've been unable to get any presents for anyone, which is disappointing for me.

Not to mention Christmas season is the start of crappy rain and gloom for the next few months here in Oregon. I guess the season itself is okay, I generally dislike Christmasy entertainment but I love, love, love the food and the good holiday shopping deals when I can afford them. I've never had a white Christmas nor lived anywhere where I've gotten much if any snow for winter (I've had two snowy days take place here in Oregon the past couple years, the only two times it's ever snowed where I live) so I can't say anything for that.

Indifferent to the holiday. I like some of the music and food, but mostly just enjoy being around family. I really don't enjoy getting presents because I hate being surprised and I hate lying about how much I like something. Every once in a while I get something I'm truly happy to get, but it's mostly just gift certificates to stores/restaurants I don't go to that force us to go to eat at Chili's or something. As comedian Dan Naturman said: "Why not just give me the $50 and a note that says 'Hey, if you're in the area check out Tower Records!'"

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I am completely disgusted by social merriment, busy stores, snow, tacky decorations, egg nog, and christianity. So much so that I make a huge production of it. My gift to the world.

The Fruity Pebbles is good...the Honey Nut Cheerios is better...

Guest Czecherbear

I'm in it for the cookies. I make some mean snickerdoodles and gingersnaps. Ginger Snaps the poster is cool too, but the cookies are even better!

Indifferent to the holiday. I like some of the music and food, but mostly just enjoy being around family. I really don't enjoy getting presents because I hate being surprised and I hate lying about how much I like something. Every once in a while I get something I'm truly happy to get, but it's mostly just gift certificates to stores/restaurants I don't go to that force us to go to eat at Chili's or something. As comedian Dan Naturman said: "Why not just give me the $50 and a note that says 'Hey, if you're in the area check out Tower Records!'"

Really, what's with gift certificates? Are people worried that if they give you cash you'll just spend it on drugs?