Jump to content

DrVenkman PhD

Members
  • Posts

    9713
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD

  1. Here's something I've been wondering for a bit. There's a small restaurant I see downtown on my way to work advertising "Ethiopian Cuisine". What kind of dishes does a country notable for having no food and being full of starving people export to Canada, exactly?
  2. Hmm... NHB rematch for the US title next week. Matt screws over Batista so he can beat MVP himself?
  3. Very strange. You'd think the debut of Scott Taylor a few weeks earlier could have been considered the beginning of the division, but I guess someone decided the Fed audience at the time wanted to see The Fantastics look old, out of shape, and wrestle each other. I tried looking up details of their tenure on wikipedia but only got this: That seems pretty incorrect.
  4. You're not doing the Houston show? I was at this Raw live (I think I've mentioned this about 3 times in the 24/7 threads now...) and I actually had a pretty good time, people were really loud for Hogan.
  5. I will say I don't think your analysis of the jericholic82 vs. MVP result was entirely true or fair. Everything you said about jericholic82 was correct, but those qualities don't make someone the WORST. You cited Marvin as an example - Czech summed up exactly why he is a good candidate since he has decided to flaunt his negatives to rile folks. jericholic82 is an innocent bystander in a cruel forum world - he doesn't TRY to be awful, but it's not 1996 anymore and people tend to be put off by bad net grammar.
  6. These tend to limit discussion but I guess if it's easier...
  7. Class A (Your Top Three Choices) Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Award This award is given to the professional wrestlers who have the ability to carry an entire promotion (Wrestlemania) by themselves. 1. Shawn Michaels 2. Randy Savage 3. Steve Austin Most Outstanding Wrestler 1. Randy Savage (in fairness this could be because I just finished watching Warrior vs. Savage and am looking forward to watching Flair vs. Savage later). 2. Bret Hart 3. Shawn Michaels Best Box Office Draw 1. Hulk Hogan 2. Steve Austin 3. The Rock Best Feud 1. Steve Austin vs. The Rock 2. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin 3. Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage Best Tag Team 1. The Rockers 2. Edge and Christian 3. Demolition (That topic is kind of hard... in 23 shows, I can't think of anyone at the top of my head who was there more than 3 times AND were the same version of the team except the Hart Foundation, but they had a battle royal, a 6 man, another battle royal, a so-so match with soon-to-be Rhythm and Blues, a squash match, and then their first good tag match with the Nasty Boys. Meanwhile The Rockers only appeared 3 times but I really enjoy their matches with the Twin Towers and Haku/Barbarian). Most Improved (assuming this means who improved the most over the years - al seems to have skipped this one in his ballot). 1. John Cena 2. Undertaker 3. The Rock Best on Interviews 1. The Rock 2. Hulk Hogan (especially Mania IV - VI, honourable mention to calling Yokozuna a jap at Mania IX). 3. Roddy Piper Most Charismatic 1. Hulk Hogan 2. Randy Savage 3. The Rock Best Technical Wrestler 1. Bret Hart 2. Shawn Michaels 3. Kurt Angle Best Brawler 1. Steve Austin 2. The Undertaker 3. Vince McMahon Best Flying Wrestler 1. Jeff Hardy 2. Matt Hardy 3. Shawn Michaels Most Overrated (Overpushed) 1. Mr. T 2. Ultimate Warrior 3. Chyna Most Underrated (Underpushed) 1. Tito Santana 2. Mr. Perfect 3. Marty Jannetty Best Match 1. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart 2. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin 3. Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat Best Non-Wrestler 1. Howard Finkel 2. Bob Ueker 3. Pete Rose Best Announcer 1. Jesse Ventura 2. Bobby Heenan 3. Jim Ross Worst Announcer 1. Vince McMahon 2. Michael Cole 3. Alfred Hayes (not just his one stint at at Mania VII but his terrible work at Mania I where he seemed perpetually confused / lost as the backstage announcer). Best Major Show 1. WrestleMania X7 2. WrestleMania XX 3. WrestleMania VIII (These 3 always change... some years I like Mania VII better than VIII, but X7 and XX are always top 2). Class B (Pick One) Worst Major Show: WrestleMania 2. Best Wrestling Maneuver: Shelton scaling the ladder at Mania 21. Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: Iraq War build-up for Mania VII. Worst Match: Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper Worst Feud: Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez Best Gimmick: One night tournament for the world title (though I'd like to mention Kane's fire - "Burning NYC" at Mania XX and the "Flaming Ladders" at Mania 21 - is a terrific gimmick too). Worst Gimmick: "Oral contract" - Hogan beats Yokozuna (though I loved it when I was 11). Best Wrestlemania DVD: WrestleMania 22 - good show, great Hall of Fame (Bret's speech is probably my favourite since the 2004 revival), and the entire SNME from before Mania is a nice extra (though maybe not that great a show, but it's the thought that counts and Shane vs. Shawn is a good brawl). Best Babyface: Bret Hart Best Heel: Randy Savage Best Manager: Bobby Heenan Worst Wrestler: Dino Bravo Worst Tag Team: Rhythm and Blues (even though their biggest claim to fame is wasting everyone's time at Mania VI) Worst Manager: Harvey Wippleman Most Embarassing Wrestler: Giant Gonzalez Worst Non-Wrestling Personality: Susan St. James
  8. Raw was pretty bizarre. Not a great show but some fun nostalgia - it's funny how somethings I remember clear as day upon getting a visual reminder (the crappy missed uppercut finish to Neidhart / Goldust, LOD holding Shamrock and Austin apart) but other things had me scratching my head. * Goldust getting The Bulldog's music after his match was pretty funny. * I remember in 1997 I thought the USWA vs. ECW match was a big deal and was looking forward to it airing on 24/7. Now that I saw it... wow, that was pretty dull. I think what I remembered was Heyman's "shoot" about the Lawler family while he was on commentary. * Bobby Fulton and his awesomely awful tights vs. Tommy Rogers: What in God's name was THIS doing on Fed TV? Pretty cool to see the Unprettier though. * In my memory, the ending to the main event was totally different. I thought . It was also a bit funny when I thought Faarooq said "Col. Mustafa". Back to Nitro for a minute, if what I've heard is true and the "magic camera recording locker room conversations" was a Vince Russo invention, I give him credit on that one. I know these segments on Nitro where Gene Okerlund interviews people are a regular part of Nitro, but damn does it seem kind of stupid to have Ric Flair and Roddy Piper do a 2 minute segment in the entrance aisle just so Flair can say "I was brawling with Syxx backstage". That sort of things seems like it would be much more effective if the viewer sees Piper confront Flair backstage and Flair explains himself.
  9. Let's Talk About: Ole Anderson in 1993. Where was he?!
  10. Monsoon in the TBS studio! King Kong Bundy wearing a cape!
  11. In my memory, Undertaker lost after Ahmed gave him the PRP. Seeing Kama pin him clean was really weird... but only the second strangest thing on the show after Fulton vs. Rogers. What the hell was THAT?
  12. The source for the low ROH buys was Slam (as the 19 refers to Canada only), but they might have got it from the Observer. The PPVs cost $10 more in Canada for no good reason which may have hurt buys ($15 ROH PPV? Sign me up! $25 when I'm already ordering a WWE show? We'll see).
  13. Any chance Kane / Palumbo is a MITB qualifier? The lack of these on SmackDown is a bit bizarre.
  14. So did you have to give your pal the 6 cents?
  15. I'm going under the impression that a group of posters will be using their powerful connections to get the winner banned, which is why I find Marvin's continued attempts at victory amusing. Speaking of Marvin, I changed my initial "I can't believe he f'n made that animated gif" post to a voting card.
  16. It wasn't even worth his time to make that. People who don't like Molet already made it clear, those that don't probably don't care if he thought Blu Ray was going to lose the next gen DVD battle.
  17. Mecca - This was almost a vote for truth, but I remembered he apologized to Dandy the other day. Funny stuff. truthiness Chazz edgehead69 - edgehead69 Matt is the ultimate underdog, even at a 3 seed. You support these types. MVP - More Votes Proceeding. jericholic82 dustinbeaverton - dustin once again is matched up with a terrible poster who doesn't post. Vanhalen Enigma majormayhem1 EHME/Simon Brigante - Kawalimus is probably a well crafted gimmick. Kawalimus Marvinisalunatic - I think Marvin taking the time to research old posts and make an animated gif about them to make someone ELSE look like a loser just cemented a round of votes for him. Flairfan MOD BRACKET/FINALS! Cena's Healed Pec Mole - Nothing against either.
  18. I think convicted peodphile (not at the time though) ML Curly has results in the Detroit News before the show.
  19. Should have remembered that since I type up the schedule here - thanks for pointing that out. I watched Nitro last night (but ended up being too tired to finish Raw - I also have the shows labeled in reverse but that's fine), it was a pretty interesting show. After the nWo seemed totally boring around Spring Stampede, I guess due to Hogan being gone and in-fighting angles that went nowhere - they seemed "cool" again on this show and I can see why people were still into them. I enjoyed the big promo with Hall and Savage against DDP (DDP: "You couldn't get the job done last night on your own" Hall: "You did the job"). I was surprised at how dull Jericho vs. Ultimo was until the finishing sequence and even more surprised (though not really) that they jobbed Jericho clean while advertising his big CW title bout coming up on WCW SN.
  20. I called the local Wal-Mart (open 24 hours), they said they THINK they're going to start selling it around 7-8am but to call Saturday night to confirm as they might do a midnight sale.
  21. I seem to have all the updates we can have, even if we pay more for less content. Wrestlemania 18, the Raw before it and the 2 MNW are in and everything that was WM 2 related is gone after one week. The only answer I had that wasn't half-assed was the complaint sent via the BBB this past Fall. I made a call to Cogeco when the missing programming problems first appeared in May (recent PPV, PYBO and roundtables) and they told me not to rely on the lists found on WWE.com since those listings are for American cable companies and are subject to change for Canada. Is there another fellow Canadian subscriber that can attest to that theory ? As of about 5am this morning (random check when I woke up during the night), I just now have all the programs, but that's cool Cogeco had the mon time for you. Did you have the right MSG show? Like I said in the main thread, mine was the Houston show and is now gone. I also asked Scott Keith awhile back if he stopped getting recent PPVs with his Canadian provider but received no answer. Edit: So I get home from work and try to watch Nitro only to find Cogeco's VOD server is down. The silver lining there was I had the TV on MuchMoreRetro and the Ghostbusters music video came on.
  22. Apparently, today was not the day to decide "I DO have $50 + 13% tax free to pre-order this game!". Guess I'll try without one.
  23. DrVenkman PhD

    Bad Candy

    I liked those... I think. In my day they had full moons and witches and bats on the wrapper, but more or less the same thing description wise. If they got too hard I didn't like them though.
  24. Updated Listings for Hardys DVD (match listing for was complete on the first post about it, but now there's a chapter list and match dates): Disc One – The Matt Hardy Story Matt Hardy was born to wrestle – from his earliest days in homemade rings he and his brother created through his unbelievable matches on SmackDown. The road to the top wasn’t always smooth, including some behind-the-scenes battles with other superstars that spilled into the ring. This DVD tells Matt’s complete story, and collects some amazing matches. Driven to be Successful The Trampoline Days OMEGA The Big Time Wrestlers Become Stars Team Extreme Mattitude Back on RAW Love Triangle Hardyz Reunion The MVP Challenges The Future is Bright No DQ; No Count Out Match Matt Hardy vs. Kane Vengeance (11/07/04) Steel Cage Match Matt Hardy vs. Edge Unforgiven (18/09/05) Money in The Bank Qualifying Match Matt Hardy vs. Joey Mercury SmackDown! (02/03/07) Matt Hardy vs. Mr. Kennedy SmackDown! (04/05/07) Tag Team Title Match The Hardy Boyz vs. The Serial Thrillaz Omega (29/01/99) DVD Extras # High Voltage Amateur WCW Challenge Video # Matt Starts a Fire # Matt Hardy’s Crib Disc Two – The Jeff Hardy Story Jeff Hardy has ascended from one of the top tag teams in WWE history to a wildly popular singles star with the WWE Championship in his sight. This DVD examines his colourful career in and out of the ring, including his recent spectacular success on Raw. A Unique Enigma Poetry in Motion imagInation Singles Release Freedom Evolution Dream 2 Defy Tag Team Tables Match The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudleyz Royal Rumble (23/01/00) Intercontinental Title Match Jeff Hardy vs. Triple H SmackDown! (12/04/01) Intercontinental Championship Steel Cage Match Jeff Hardy vs. Johnny Nitro New Years Revolution (07/01/07) Money In The Bank Qualifying Match Jeff Hardy vs. Shelton Benjamin RAW (26/02/07) World Tag Team Title Match The Hardys vs. Cade & Murdoch Judgment Day (20/05/07) Winner gets WWE Championship Title shot at Royal Rumble Jeff Hardy vs. Triple H Armageddon (16/12/07) Steel Cage Match Jeff Hardy vs. Umaga RAW (07/01/08) DVD Extras # Hardy Dogs # Old Grow
×
×
  • Create New...