Jump to content

DrVenkman PhD

Members
  • Posts

    9713
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD

  1. That Snake / Otacon conversation about Yoshi is gold.
  2. I might not be remembering this right, but didn't they do this Rhodes/Holly angle 5.5 years ago with Orton/Holly? I mean, right down to the same deal... Orton had 3 matches with Holly and finally won the 3rd one and a handshake.
  3. total agreement...Buelah may be the worst Diva I've ever seen. "I'M PREGNANT!" fuck off I'm sure I've seen worse. Since I was 14 when I saw these for the first time, it's hard to dislike Beulah. She did a nude spread for goodness sakes! On that note, bonus points to the poster who can get me a page with those pictures. My friend's been dying to see them and searches have proved fruitless. http://web.archive.org/web/20020805232603/...ulah/index.html Edit: Sorry Al, looks like not all the thumbnail links work. Maybe just a few.
  4. Upcoming plots (episodes 5 and 6):
  5. Throw me in the camp that thought the first half was great but the second half was weak. Not bad, but weak... if this season had aired as 6 separate episode, episode 6 would have been the weakest, that's all. The pseudo-kidnapping plot was just plain bizarre and didn't do it for me. Andy and Dwight were awesome though. Depressed unshaven Dwight! I loved the self-aware computer, too. "How do I know this isn't Jim?" *Jim walks away* "What is a Jim?" Oh, and Ryan being told to stop doing the talking heads in someone else's office was great.
  6. I'm sure the 3500 24/7 Subscribers and 500 people that watch Heat on WWE.com would go wild about the ideas.
  7. Chris Parnell's "Dr. Leo Spaceman" ("Spah-Sem-In") character on 30 Rock was great. "You Do The Meth!" "Dr. Spaceman was my father. Please, call me Leo" *points to wall of celebrity clients he sent to a clinic including Alf and the Unabomber*
  8. Does this doom the hopes of a good KOTOR 3?
  9. Oh, and Hogan saying "Macho Man can't even lace my boots, brother" managed to be both awesome and uncalled for (he was a fellow face at the time, Hulk!) at the same time. It actually had me wondering if this promo was scripted that way to put over the "every man for themselves" aspect or if this was during a down period of the Hogan/Savage friendship.
  10. So, did 83% of the posters in this thread stop reading the original post before this part of the story?
  11. Yeah, I'm in the "I paid to see this so I'm going to stay" camp but people like to beat traffic too. It's the wrestling equivalent of leaving a baseball game in the 7th inning because the score is 8-1.
  12. I enjoyed the MSG show. It wasn't a good wrestling show or anything but, as someone who started watching wrestling in 1991, I don't have a lot of nostalgic love for the 85-89 shows. Repo Man vs Piper was pretty fun and you gotta love Heenan and Monsoon on commentary. I did fall asleep TWICE attempting to watch the battle royal though (damn 12 hour shifts). I fell asleep before the end of Martel/Bossman and woke up during entrances for the battle royal. I rewound it to where I fell asleep, but then I fell asleep again during entrances.
  13. Zero Shorties. Informed WWE (who is supposed to tell Cogeco, I guess) but it's still blank this morning. I'll e-mail Cogeco.
  14. Did anything ever come of that proposed plan to serve McBreakfast all day? If it happened and goes over in the States, maybe someday I'll be able to get a sausage mcmuffin at 6pm.
  15. Will this bring new meaning to the Coey Crunch?
  16. The source was the Figure Four Wrestling newsletter. You'll note it says "From F4W" under the quote. I don't think it's entirely fair to say the Hornswoggle deal was a spiteful act towards smart fans already aware of the angle's direction. They were hit with that whole pharmacy scandal fiasco and had to alter the Kennedy plans. Hornswoggle seemed like a way to end the whole storyline on a comedy note and move on.
  17. Yeah because they didn't discourage multiple voting. I think they even went on Raw and said "vote as much as you want!". Not sure how they're rolling this year (though it's just a cookie deleting matter).
  18. I think back then there were about 1500 wrestling news websites, 1490 of them just making stuff up as they went, and a possible HBK rumour was spreading around. There was never any real reason to think this, just people being hopeful.
  19. ECW Title match is Punk vs Fans Choice (Morrison, Big Daddy V, Miz). That's weird, voting on what heel you want to wrestle a face champion. I know the idea is to vote for Morrison, but you'd think as a Punk fan I'd vote for Miz because it's doubtful he'll drop the belt to him. .
  20. I don't know how it came off on TV but the sad thing about the Punk/Morrison match is a LOT of people were long gone so despite it being a good match, my section was very quiet. The loudest it ever got was when Roddy Hogan noticed he was in camera range during a submission spot and started Hulking around to a loud chant. This is why I think they need to drop live ECW shows on the east coast.
  21. I could see Kennedy winning if the balloting isnt rigged. Here we f'ing go.
  22. I'd still like to see Captain N in this game. Sonic though, that's some cool stuff.
  23. Welcome to every 1980s house show on 24/7. The ones from 89 and up seem to be better at having more star power though. I can't wait to watch this 1992 one with Sid squashing Hercules. Also, no PPVs have pop-up facts. That was done just for Mania III. In what I can only determine to be random selection, various programs will have a list of the month's birthdays and a "this week in wrestling history" ticker while the house shows in The Big Ones will have a "Flashback <Year of the Show>" with some real world news from that year.
  24. Not sure what the hell is wrong with WO.com, but here's my better than everyone else's because I'm a nerd that takes a notebook spoilers: Quick results: Jake Duncan d. Funaki (dark) with a TKO-like flapjack. Chuck Palumbo d. Chris Master via a roll-up. Jesse and Festus d. Conrad Borne and Jake Adams via Festus rocket launching Jesse into a standing Conrad. Drew MacIntyre / Galloway d. Brett Major via Dave Taylor distraction and roll-up. Undertaker and Kane d. MVP and Matt Hardy in a non-title bout via Undertaker tombstone on MVP. Great Khali d. Jamie Noble in a quick one via head vice. Jimmy Yang Wang d. Deuce via moonsault. Rey Mysterio vs Finlay was a no contest. Detailed Report: The arena is at about the same / slightly lower attendance than the last SmackDown taping (July 2006). The entire lower bull is full but, save for sections near the SmackDown set up to about looking directly down at the ring, the upper deck is tarped off. Even though he Justin Roberts did ECW tonight, it was not a re-switch with Tony Chimmel as Roberts did SmackDown too. The tapings start with the WrestleMania 23 recap video. Funaki vs "Jake Duncan" - I'm 90% certain this is the exact same dark match that opened last year's Detroit SamckDown taping. Duncan was TNA's Trytan but last time he was using the name Ryan. Exact same look as his previous dark match. Crowd was surprisingly into Funaki, but mostly in a "first superstar out" kind of way. SmackDown opens with a video recap of the Punjabi Prison match at No Mercy. The video screen informs us that Rey Mysterio vs. Finlay is taking place tonight for the #1 contendership to Batista's title. Palumbo (with Michelle McCool) defeated Masters when Master's tried a clothesline but hit the ropes and was rolled up. He had previously tried the Masterlock but could not lock it. This match seemed better than it looks on paper. Post match, Master's attacked Chuck and put him in the Masterlock on the floor. Jesse and Festus vs "Conrad Borne" and "Jake Adams". Conrad (better known locally as Conrad Kennedy III, aka CK3) and Jake (aka Eddie Venom) had no entrance, just walked to the ring during a break. Some of the smarter fans around us tried a "CK3" chant but to no avail. Pre-match, Jesse informed us Festus just ain't right all the time, and he's a tiger in the ring... but really nice when it's not time to wrestle. As mentioned above, Festus launched Jesse into a standing Conrad for the pin. Some heat for this, kids seemed to love it (chanting "Jesse" and "Festus" from time to time). Backstage, Jamie Noble informs Deuce and Domino that Jimmy Yang Wang made some scandelous remarks about Cherry. This makes them all angry. A video for Joe Louis Arena only, Drew MacIntyre appears on screen and informs us that he may be from Scotland but he has dual citizenship, so he wants us to chant "U S A" during his match. That sounds like something that could be a funny gimmick for a foreign heel but alas, it's just WWE trying to get fans to chant "USA" at a foreign heel on TV. Drew MacIntyre / Galloway vs. Brett Major. Brett came out with his brother while Drew came out with Dave Taylor, which actually had me wondering if he's really Burchill and I don't recognize him with long hair and no beard since I have the pirate image ingrained in my head. The reason I say Galloway is because that was the name in his titantron. Short match, Brett's brother was attacked by Taylor on the outside, distracting Brett long enough for Drew to roll him up for the win. A Diva Search video is shown. After that, they show MVP and Matt Hardy discussing their upcoming match. They both tell each other they have experience with both Undertaker and Kane. Undertaker and Kane vs Matt Hardy and MVP (non-title match) was 12 minutes and pretty good action. Taker is, as always, INCREDIBLY over. Most over guy of the night, which helps keep the match interesting live. Story was that Matt and MVP were actually working very well together, with Matt even saving MVP from a two-man chokeslam. Match ended when Undertaker went to take a shot at MVP but MVP ducked and Matt was knocked off the ring apron. MVP was then Tombstoned and pinned. Arena only video highlighting all of the Divas was shown. Rey Mysterio was interviewed by a woman named Anastasia. He said he would beat Finlay and face his amigo Batista at Cyber Sunday. A recap of the Long/Kristal wedding was shown. Noble was then shown in Vicki's office congratulating her on swooping in on Teddy's job so quickly and vicously. He then gave himself a pat on the back for riling up Deuce and Domino by saying Jimmy Yang Wang made comments about Cherry. Vicki said Teddy would be home next week and told Noble he had a match against The Great Khali next. Noble was squashed quickly. The video screens were focusing on his body just laying in the ring post match. A very good video package highlighting Jeff Hardy's career was shown. I hope this was intended for the TV audience and not just the arena. Jimmy Yang Wang beat Deuce in a rather short (and not that interesting) match with a moonsault onto a standing Deuce. Post match, D&D beat up Jimmy and Cherry slapped him around. After the cameras stopped rolling and Jimmy walked to the back, he got a pretty good reaction from the crowd. Batista comes out for commentary. This was an entire segment. He got a good pop though, 2nd loudest of the night. I assume this was arena only (and I figured out the reason afterward) - a Tribute to the Troops recap was shown in total darkness while, just visible from the light from the monitors, a whole group of production people walked to the ring, then to the backstage area before the video ended. Rey (3rd biggest pop, but some boos) vs. Finlay was 7 minutes of pretty good action. Before the match began, JBL reminded the fans to vote for him as the ref between Batista and Finlay or Rey. Finlay brought a chair into the ring and Rey kicked it into his face, causing the ref to call for the bell. They kept fighting (Rey hit Finlay with some chair shots, then a 619, but Finlay caught the West Coast Pop and powerbomed Rey) until the lights went out. *DONG*. Lights come back on. *DONG* Undertaker is already in the ring and Finlay and Rey are laid out (you could kind of see Taker doing this to them with the camera flashes). At this point I realized the previous in-arena segment was a way to sneak Taker to the ring. Taker looks down to the announce table and stares down Batista, who holds up his title belt. As the ring crew and refs changed the set for ECW, Justin Roberts informed us that Vicki Guerrero ordered a rematch between Rey and Finlay. I assumed this was a dark match but I was wrong (though it was suspicious to being with). ECW was what it was - the first 3 matches were pretty dull and while Punk vs Morrison SEEMED good to us, so much of the crowd had already left that in the slow spots, it just seemed extra slow. Not sure if this made it to TV or happened during a commercial break, but Roddy Hogan was up to his antics during a submission spot (if it was on TV, this would have been very clear as we could see him doing it on the tron). This elicited a brief "HOGAN" chant. More people begin to leave after the match while I notice that the crew has brought out the box of blue ropes. I suspect something is up. Then, as they are dismantling the ECW set, Batista comes out and sits at the announce table. Then I see them changing the ropes. Then JBL and Cole come out. Yep, it's a good old re-take. Finlay vs Rey - Round II: A crowd wrangler was asking the people that hadn't left (and a LOT had by now) to move in closer to make everything seem more filled on camera. Less fancy stuff, more Rey taking Finlay down and punching him on the mat. Not very long as they basically did a few take down spots, then had Finlay and Rey both kind of shove the ref at the same time (more Finlay I think, it was during a grapple). The ref calls for the bell and we get another no contest. I don't know why they did this other than kicking a chair you didn't bring into the ring never resulting in a DQ that I'm aware of, and no official announcement was made either time. Either way, it seems like a no contest with Taker being Batista's opponent. Overall, not the best show I've been to, but I enjoyed myself. The semi-main tag match will probably be good on TV as will the Rey/Finlay match and Undertaker angle. Also, I think these tapings with ECW are a bit long. I know ECW seems to have a lot of fans on the net with people unhappy with Raw and SmackDown, but it's really not important enough to be live. I feel they should tape it like they used to do Velocity - everything all at once, then edit it to stretch it out for one hour. With the "live" format, you get there at 7:30 for a dark match, SmackDown is taped from 7:45 - 9:45, you have to wait 15 minutes for ECW to go live, then you have to wait for ECW to end at 11:05. Throw in the re-shoot and it's one long night. Just my thought on the matter, though. Sometimes you're in the mood for a 4 hour show. I also imagine it's probably not easy to edit together a show that needs to air 2 hours later. Note: Please excuse my complete ignorance to this Drew Galloway character. I have no idea what goes on in OVW.
  25. WWE announcing the main event for Cyber Sunday on WWE.com reminded me of the match announcing process for Survivor Series last year. That was a pretty fun week, they should do it again this year with the same kind of mixed up elimination matches. Also, they should have them not suck this year come PPV time.
×
×
  • Create New...