Jump to content

DrVenkman PhD

Members
  • Posts

    9713
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD

  1. AVGN's look at Nintendo Power As a subscriber from like, 1989 to the mid 90s plus buying the occasional magazine without a subscription, this was a pretty entertaining look back at the evolution of the magazine.
  2. Huh, I thought by October 91 Tito was El Matador (mostly because I don't recall ever seeing "Tito Santana" wrestle when I started watching in the spring of 91 - I thought he took a hiatus and came back as El Matador). Flair having the unblurred belt is great, at any rate.
  3. This isn't World Tour 92 though (though I did buy that at a store in NYC a few years ago), it's the full version of the European broadcast of "Battle Royal from Royal Albert Hall", complete with sponsorship from The Sun.
  4. Just for the record, my original sub-title was really only referring to the 1 month suspensions (since they all happened just as September began, hence a month's worth of general discussion about a fed with a temporary lessened roster). But yeah, the count does keep going up.
  5. "It is believed the four territories they are looking at most strongly are UK (wheels are already very much in motion), the UK, Asia and Mexico" Come now, Bryan. I'm going to assume one of those means Australia or Italy.
  6. True story: Goldberg vs Hogan actually pissed me off quite a bit at the time. I did a conference call with my telephone hotline pal James "The Tiger" Jones and ranted about it on our Detroit wrestling hotline. Why? Because Goldberg didn't sell Hogan's leg drop and basically squashed him. I thought it was disrespectful to Hogan. Kinda funny looking back. I'm trying to think of modern day WWE examples of a big put over, but even steven booking (with most guys) renders a lot of it obsolete in the long run. However, I believe the Cena vs HBK feud was really helpful to John; I really came around to not hating him after his summer feud with Edge and thought he had a good run with Umaga, but I still wanted him to lose to Shawn. They had a good match at WrestleMania where Shawn tapped out (and I don't recall him acting childish about it) and even though he was given his win back 3 weeks later, it was Cena losing probably his longest match ever going toe to toe with Michaels. I was dissapointed when Shawn's injury prevented it from continuing as a summer program.
  7. Yeah, I don't need to find results to know Bulldog wins the battle royal. I never knew that "big battle royal at Royal Albert Hall" being referred to was, but I know it was mentioned on commentary (biggest mention I can recall is Rumble 92). Truth be told, I'm looking forward to watching Flair vs Santana the most.
  8. I watched the beginning (literally, just the opening) of European Rampage to see what it was all about. Was this ever released commercially in North America? Seems a bit rare and taken right off of a Sky Sports PPV broadcast. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight when I get home from work. I did watch enough of it to hear Monsoon said he would put Heenan "in the Queen's box" causing Heenan to appear to have a double-take expression on his face.
  9. The skydiving scene was well worth the $4.20 admission price.
  10. I do like the "fun facts" concept of the loading screens.
  11. This thread made me go listen to "S Club Party" on seeqpod. Thanks a lot.
  12. Guess someone needs his win back (although the build to it makes sense).
  13. I don't know... Booker T did call it "manufactured" on Confidential.
  14. Call me crazy, but the referee during Kirchner/Volkoff on TNT (which, like al, said was pretty interesting to just see Adonis announce "yes I'm gay") appears to be Dean Malenko. Edit: Confirmed by Meltzer to be Dean Malenko. Wow, learn something new everyday (allegedly). This is why I love 24/7, discovering stuff like this. I also never picture Tito holding the pre-98 IC title belt, but there he is with it in 1985.
  15. "Schrutie bucks" was the funniest part. Dwight's reaction to Creed's threat of flooding the market to make them worthless comes in second. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qe7lPi7piy0
  16. This sucks. I thought he was overrated in ECW (from what little I saw before the advent of DVDs and The History of ECW on 24/7) and pretty bland as Hardcore Hak and really I was not a fan of the guy at all. However, the fact he managed to get hired by the E AND last as long as he did, get the pops that he did, and get moved to the WWE's flagship show, I was very happy for him (plus I came around to him around 2005 for the sake of nostalgia).
  17. A double stip match where the only way to win is by submission ends in a DQ. Russo is the best.
  18. It made me laugh all the same.
  19. Yeah, I think I heard the same, something about the whole thing being combined into a "WWE 24/7 Mode". That actually reminded me that with all the things that will probably be wrong with this game, I do like that this year's goal is becoming a Hall of Fame inductee. That is still the goal, right? Most of the info I heard about this game was several months ago.
  20. Which is eaxctly the point I was trying to make. My original statement was in conjunction with how a good a console game was for it's time, not versus modern day or PC games. Sure enough, one of the first responses was about how it doesn't hold up today or against PC games. That said, I think a thread devoted to disecting what made games great in their time period followed by modern day playability and thoughts on how it holds up might arouse some good discussion in this corner of the forum. Or a bunch of petty arguing. One or the other.
  21. I'll probably buy it too just because I always do, however I have a few reservations: 1. I think this will be too gimmicky for the Wii so I don't want that version. 2. I expect that, with a PS3 version on top of a 360 version this year, the already lazy development for these games will be even lazier on the PS2. A minor point is that my PS2 is kind of buried off to the side and unplugged right now (Wii took it's outlet) but I can always fix that up. Also, is there a competitive GM mode this year?
  22. I can't believe Corner Gas airs on American television as of today. That wacky WGN.
  23. Crazy. That music is burned into my memory as Heel Owen, it just sounds so wrong as face music. Things can be funny like that.
  24. Looking back, yeah, everything seemed pretty paint by numbers predictable. In fact, my deeming the episode "Classic Larry" was basically saying what it was; Larry has a plan to atone for something, that plan goes awry, then something else happens, then it all ties up in a pay off gag at the end. I still found it funny, though.
  25. Very, very rarely have I had that happen. It was happening more frequently in late 2006 / early 2007 when this was still brand new to Cogeco. I will say it did just happen again for the first time in a long time to me though; that 1st update of the month that Cogeco took so long to get here seemed to erase the MNW episode when it finally showed up. It had almost been there for 2 weeks by that point and I had already watched it so it was no big loss, but still...
×
×
  • Create New...