TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest wayzing
Nah. Double Trouble were OBSCENELY fat twins. Fatter than the Disasters at the time. Fatter than the Headhunters. I'm talking Abdullah the Butcher fat --- TIMES TWO.

I remember reading about them on Madison Carter's old "Weird World of Wrestling" site (he writes stuff for WrestleCrap now). They were a tag team in the indies called the Undertakers, that's pretty much all I remember.

Hahaha. I remember seeing pictures of them, as the Undertakers in early 1990. They were wrestling for IWCCW.

Living in Sweden at the time I didn't get to see The Undertaker's WWF debut at Survivor Series 1990 until after I'd seen the first episode of Superstars of Wrestling. Piper and Monsoon (i think it was) were talking about this amazing newcomer "Kane the Undertaker". I was sooo disappointed because I thought it was one of these two fat corpse painted Undertakers that I had seen pictures of.

Didn't know that they were Double Trouble though.

You know, since the Headhunters were mentioned, does anybody remember that Raw in 97 where Jim Cornette brings them out (wearing red and black and without their facepaint) and sent them after (I think) the Headbangers? And then a week later they were gone, never to be seen in WWF again. Anybody know what happened?

Who were Terry, Tyrell and Jade that Jesse Ventura referred to at the first 6 (or at least five of the first 6) WrestleManias?

His wife and kids.

Wasn't it Terry, Tyrell, Jade and Jeremiah?

Thanks.

I believe Jeremiah was born later and not mentioned in the earliest "Terry, Terrell, and Jade" shout-out but I could be wrong.

Guest MikeSC
You know, since the Headhunters were mentioned, does anybody remember that Raw in 97 where Jim Cornette brings them out (wearing red and black and without their facepaint) and sent them after (I think) the Headbangers? And then a week later they were gone, never to be seen in WWF again. Anybody know what happened?

I assume they were never signed to a contract and their debut was less than impressive, so WWE just quietly let them go.

Wasn't Russo writing at this point?

-=Mike

anyone know the location of this match on Best of the WWF Volume 19?

Andre the Giant & Rick Rude vs. Jake Roberts & Jim Duggan

I have never seen the match in question, but just wondered when exactly the match took place. From what I have read it is at a Wrestling Challenge taping, and I guess it is from the Spring/Summer of 1988 when these 4 were feuding

Guest Astro

I have never seen the match in question, but just wondered when exactly the match took place. From what I have read it is at a Wrestling Challenge taping, and I guess it is from the Spring/Summer of 1988 when these 4 were feuding

www.thehistoryofwwe.com

www.thehistoryofwwe.com

i dont think its on their, thats why i asked here! Unless it has been added quite recently

It hasn't.

For those older tapings, the best thing would be to get ahold of some Observers from the 80s. Can't think of any other publication that would run dark match results. PWI didn't really put effort into the arena results section until 89.

FYI, I'm still gathering more info but won't be able to update the site until I'm back at school ... another week and a half / 2 weeks.

The seeds had been planted by WrestleMania I (with them coming to the ring to "Born in the USA"), but the official name came sometime between WrestleMania and Windham/Rotundo regaining the titles in June. I don't know if anybody here can narrow it down further than that.

Wasn't "Real American" originally supposed to be for them, but ultimately got shifted to Hogan for whatever reason? (I always thought it was because Windham left, and took a lot of the credibility of the team with him, but I might have made that up).

Hahaha. I remember seeing pictures of them, as the Undertakers in early 1990. They were wrestling for IWCCW.

Sweet reference, man ... I used to be an ICW mark, primarily because it was the only indy that I had access to on TV at that time. I dug it more before it merged with WCCW, just because the only southern star I remember coming in was Kevin Von Erich. But before that, I used to dig "Boston Bad Boy" Tony Rumble, the Madison Bros, Tasmaniac, Tony Atlas, etc. Good indy wrestling.

The seeds had been planted by WrestleMania I (with them coming to the ring to "Born in the USA"), but the official name came sometime between WrestleMania and Windham/Rotundo regaining the titles in June.  I don't know if anybody here can narrow it down further than that.

Wasn't "Real American" originally supposed to be for them, but ultimately got shifted to Hogan for whatever reason? (I always thought it was because Windham left, and took a lot of the credibility of the team with him, but I might have made that up).

Exactly. Windham left around October or November 1985 IIRC, and Rotundo actually went with him (or a month or two later) before returning a few months later and teaming with Dan Spivey. Windham and Rotundo wrestled as a team at the AWA's Wrestlerock event on 4/20/86, and Rotundo was wrestling WWF shows by June or July again.

Guest Dark Pegasus
You know, since the Headhunters were mentioned, does anybody remember that Raw in 97 where Jim Cornette brings them out (wearing red and black and without their facepaint) and sent them after (I think) the Headbangers?  And then a week later they were gone, never to be seen in WWF again.  Anybody know what happened?

I assume they were never signed to a contract and their debut was less than impressive, so WWE just quietly let them go.

Wasn't Russo writing at this point?

-=Mike

The Headhunters actually have two one-day stints with the WWE, the one in 1997 and the other (I think) in 1995. You'd think one one-day stint would be enough to learn.

Mask questions. I've already searched all the sites that answer these questions, so this is a last resort.

Who was "The Red Raider" in Mid-South?

Who was "El Corsario" in Mid-South?

When Vader turned face in WCW in one of his last appearances for them it seemed as though he would probably have been on Hogan's Wargames team(may even have been announced), If Vader had stayed in WCW what do you think WCW would have done with Luger at Fall Brawl 95? I don't think he would have been in the Wargames match unless Sting defended his US title and I can't think of any guy who Luger could have done a squash match with at the PPV.They could have did what they did with Savage at Starrcade 94 and question which Side he would be on.

BTW I don't think Vader's face run would have lasted that long as he wouldn't have really had anyone to face during the nWo angle.

Guest drdrainoscott

I've just been watching those Nitros that take place right before Fall Brawl. Basically Vader had just turned face before Nitro had been created, but by the time Nitro was on the air, Vader was out. I can't remember exactly how he turned face, but I seem to think it had something to do with Ric Flair, so I bet he would have fueded with him at some point. If Vader had stayed, I could see Luger taking Stings role in the Horsemen angle that was going on. He would have befriended Flair (as foreshadowed on the second episode of Nitro) and teamed with him at Halloween Havoc to face Arn and Pillman, only to have Flair turn on him.

I've just been watching those Nitros that take place right before Fall Brawl. Basically Vader had just turned face before Nitro had been created, but by the time Nitro was on the air, Vader was out. I can't remember exactly how he turned face, but I seem to think it had something to do with Ric Flair, so I bet he would have fueded with him at some point.

Flair and Anderson turned Vader face after Bash at the Beach 95. He went on to beat them in a handicap match at the August Clash of the Champions, which spurred on the Flair / Anderson rivalry.

My best bet, he would have been jobbed out to the Giant prior to Giant going after Hogan.

I think it was At the October 96 In Your House(Buried Alive?), he beat HHH(replacing Savio Vega) after a distraction from Mr. Perfect.

Why did Brutus The Barber Beefcake always wear a stupid sparkly bowtie?

Guest MikeSC
Why did Brutus The Barber Beefcake always wear a stupid sparkly bowtie?

I think they were shooting for a "male stripper" look for him.

-=Mike

Guest wayzing
Well, old style barbers (and some around where I live) wear bowties when they work.

So, that was a part of his "barber" outfit, I'm guessing.

But he wore long before he became the Barber though. I think the male stripper theory is about right.

I don't mean to sound like an ass when I ask this, but was Giant's neck injury from Souled Out 98 legit?

I don't mean to sound like an ass when I ask this, but was Giant's neck injury from Souled Out 98 legit?

He went off to film The Waterboy.

Don't be an ass :)

Speaking of Bruti, how long after WrestleMania III was it before he OFFICIALLY started to be called "The Barber"?

Off the top of my head, I think it was about a month until he appeared on TV as Brutus the Barber, facing former manager Johnny V during an episode of WWF Superstars.

Well, I just wanted to make sure, I'm sure I'm not the only one who fucking hates fake injury angles.

Anyways, when did WWE start with those elobarate intros for PPVs with the narration? Earliest one I ever saw Royal Rumble 96, but I'm sure it was started at one of the In Your Houses in 95, can anybody clarify?

Guest drdrainoscott
Well, I just wanted to make sure, I'm sure I'm not the only one who fucking hates fake injury angles.

Anyways, when did WWE start with those elobarate intros for PPVs with the narration? Earliest one I ever saw Royal Rumble 96, but I'm sure it was started at one of the In Your Houses in 95, can anybody clarify?

I understand what you are asking and I'm sure this isn't the answer you want, but the WWF had sort of been doing those PPV intros for a long time before 1996. One that I really liked was the intro to WMVI, where Vince was narrorating and talking about constalations, and then Warrior and Hogan were shown in the sky.