TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lando Griffin

The Joe Schmo Show

I caught this show last night on Spike TV, and I like it. It's a very interesting concept, and it's funny just watching how over-the-top fake it is, but the guy still has no suspicions about it. I think that he'll eventually figure it out, though.

If you haven't seen the commercials for it, it's basically a reality show that's not real, but one guy(cast member) thinks it is. All the other cast members are actors, contests and evictions are rigged. It's highly enjoyable.

I really like the concept of the show, but the execution is missing something. It's way too "smooth". It doesn't feel real; even though that's the point, but it makes it seem like Joe doesn't seem real either. They spent way too much time pushing the concept in our face; every other second they were saying "this isn't real! he thinks it is!". Hopefully that was just for the premiere.

I thought Joe was an idiot taking his hand off of Tawney Roberts breast...

idiot

If he could only keep his hand in one spot, then I'd say it's cool. OTOH, if he's getting a little fondling action while his hand's on her boob, then yes, he's probably an idiot.

I caught bits of it last night and Joe seems like a complete idiot. By this time, you have to know that every reality show has a certain trick or swerve to it and if you're not in on it, they must be doing it to you. I do like the improv nature of it though. People have to assume these stereotypical type characters and then basically maintain that character 24/7 while fleshing them out and playing off the others.

The actors, while playing stereotypes, are pretty dead on to the idiots on shows like Survivor, Big Brother, etc. So So unless they blow it bigtime, he'll never figure it out. I think it will get good when people start giving him votes and he barely squeezes through.

I'm expecting Joe to be in on it and the real reality show is on the actors playing it. Something stupid, ya know?

So that would mean there is an actor hired to trick a bunch of other actors who thought THEY were hired to trick HIM?

Good lord, don't say that too loudly or someone will make a show of it.

The very idea of this show disturbs me, for some reason.

I dunno, just the whole "Hey, let's make someone look like a fool on national television and then brag about how much of a fool we made him look like!" kinda thing doesn't sit well with me.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

The original Temptation Island owned you hardcore. Even though the ending sucked.

I'm expecting Joe to be in on it and the real reality show is on the actors playing it.  Something stupid, ya know?

So that would mean there is an actor hired to trick a bunch of other actors who thought THEY were hired to trick HIM?

Good lord, don't say that too loudly or someone will make a show of it.

Vince Russo already did, many times...

TMM, have you SEEN reality TV recently???

Nope. I don't watch it, and I never really have.

I watched all of the original Survivor, mainly because I called Rudy to win the second I saw him, and I had to see if I was right. By the time I realized I wasn't, I figured I'd finish.

I don't like reality TV in general.

Guest Doyo
Best reality show was Murder in Small Town X.

I thought that was scripted?

I used to live in the town where that was filmed. The murder mysteries were staged

and all the characters were actors, but the people investigating it were not. They

were like contestants on a game show and they had to interact with the characters

and try and solve the crimes.

Best reality show was Murder in Small Town X.

I thought that was scripted?

I used to live in the town where that was filmed. The murder mysteries were staged

and all the characters were actors, but the people investigating it were not. They

were like contestants on a game show and they had to interact with the characters

and try and solve the crimes.

I read in an article that the murder mystery aspect of the show was constantly being rewritten, and that the contestants were really going overboard with the investigations and such, which made it more stressful for the actors who - like these people in the Joe Schmoe Show - were basically forced to be in character 24/7.

Still, it was fun to watch. Not as fun as the Mole (which really needs another non-celeb edition) or The Amazing Race, but definitely a great show that would have gotten better had they been able to refine it more (i.e. another season).

Anyways, having finally watched the whole premiere, Matt is either the biggest idiot ever, or he's an actor who's playing the other actors for fools, in which case THEY'RE the biggest idiots ever. I'm leaning towards the latter, because Matt just seems to be a little too dense, know what I mean?

And here's an odd thing I noticed - during some portions where they talk to Matt, they use some of the same stock music that they used on The Mole. Coincidence?

Actually I had a dream that I was on a reality show hosted by Wink Martindale. It was like that Love or Money show, where if the girl dumps me at the end she gets a million dollars. Thing is, I was in on it and if she dumped me, she got nothing. But if she choose me, I got the million and had to dump her. I also got bonus money by making the girls do stuff, like making out with each other. amd I got to watch all of their direct to camera comments. That show could work. Mostly in the dream though, Wink and I hung out by a pool and made fun of the girls.