TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BifEverchad

'Proper' typing technique...

I'm currently back in school after a LONG 5 year absense and I'm in the midst of doing a Computer Studies program at a local college. Anyways, within the program there's a basic Keyboarding Course, which is apart of the criteria, and I have to say. Its a pain in the ass.

I'm talking about the 'home row' and proper typing techniques that come along with it. I'm just so used to typing all over the place (and good enough at it I might add), that I can't quite grasp the new 'Home Row' of ASDF, JKL;, etc. It's gonna take a shitload of classes to get me on track, as apposed to my own technique I've been practicing for the past 5 years or so.

Basic, question: Who here can type in 'proper' form?

Also, any helpful hints or pointers for ol' dumbass here?

Bif

Ever since I took a keyboarding class in high school I've used the proper technique and I've gotten quite fast at it too.

I liked the keyboarding class because before that I was hunting and pecking at the keyboard. Now I couldn't even think of hunting and pecking.

My 7th grade Computer/Science teacher (meaning she taught both subjects) drilled us on typing the proper way so I'm pretty good at it...although people have pointed out that I tend not to use my pinky fingers when I type.

Guest Retro Rob

I'm pretty good at knowing where all the letters are without using the proper technique, or looking. Plus I use two fingers from both hands.

For instance, I just typed that without the home row, or peaking.

I use the home-row technique. Learned it after a few weeks in high school's typing class. Since then I've typed around 65-75 wpm.

Important thing to remember -- most of the rarely uses letters are in the hard-to-get places (q/z/x). Also, don't be afraid of making mistakes -- walking (or should I say typing?) on eggshells will only make it worse.

The lesson plans I used when starting this were to practice in each section of the keyboard (working with asdf, then jkl;, then qwer, etc.)

Oh, and don't worry about the number row -- I always stop and look down to make sure I have the right number selected...

The only typing course I've taken was my freshman year of high school, and that was a long time ago. I know I don't use the "proper" typing -- I almost never use my pinkies, and I commonly hit the space bar with my index finger -- but I get about 65 wpm out of the method I use, and I never look at the keyboard.

Guest stardust

Ever since my typing class in junior high I've been typing properly, although I don't tend to use my pinkies as much as I should, either, and tend to move my hands probably a little more than I should. Still, though, I type about 65 words per minute (used to be faster back in high school when I was always doing newspaper stuff), so I guess I'm not doing too bad.

I had the psycho computer teacher from Hell at my Catholic School, and he ordered these skins that fit over the top of the keyboard. The whole point was to make sure that you couldn't see the keyboard when you typed, so even if you looked down, it wouldn't help. We had to memorize where the keys were without any help. Lots of fun. We also had this dope program where you'd dragrace, and, to make your car go fast, you had to type fast. I figured out how to tweak the speed of the other car, so instead of putting along at 35 WPM like on everyone else's computer, the car I was racing against was going 120 WPM. I kept up for about thirty seconds, then I had to slow down. The fastest I ever typed on an actual test was 109 WPM...

My teacher hated me, too.

Guest Eagan469

I use both of my middle fingers and my index fingers to type.

I learned "home row" and all that in 6th grade, but I never caught on to it. I can still type fast as hell, but I have to look down every few seconds.

I'm pretty good at knowing where all the letters are without using the proper technique, or looking. Plus I use two fingers from both hands.

For instance, I just typed that without the home row, or peaking.

I'm with you. I don't even need to look down at the keys anymore and I don't use the home row.

2 Finger Salute, motherfucks.

Guest Fook

I learned the proper technique by taking a high school course. Did pretty well too (93%).

I can type pretty fast, but I haven't tested myself in years so I have no idea how many wpm I can reach.

If you give me a letter or something written out that you want me to type out on the computer all I have to do is look at that letter and start typing. I could type the whole thing without ever looking at the screen or keyboard.

I sort of do a mix of home row typing and hunting and pecking(without looking) though I'm better at using all my fingers on my left hand rather then my right, since I only use my index finger on my right hand but then again maybe it's because of the way I sit at my computer(I sit more to the right of the keyboard)

Guest SweetNSexyDiva

I have been typing proper for a long time, since I was like 12 or something. I type anywhere between 60 - 80 wpm. The only thing I have problems with is if I am using a laptop and I don't have a 10-key for numbers on the right. I don't really have any tips... but a good program might help. Like Mavis Beacon.

Guest Plushy Al Logan

45 wpm, with one hand at a time, I get slowed down when I use the other hand.

Test #1: Your speed was 58 WPM with 63 mistakes (did you miss a word?)

Your typing speed is above average.

Test #2: Your speed was 62 WPM with 2 mistakes

Your typing speed is above average.

Improved a ton on the shorter paragraph, heh

Guest Insanityman

First one- 73 WPM and one mistake.

Damn. I don't even use proper technique. I figure it's 'cause I write stories almost always when doing other things on the computer. Freshman, so haven't taken a class.

test 1:Your speed was 153 WPM with 66 mistakes (did you miss a word?)

EDIT: That was of course BEFORE I found out there was something specific we had to type.

Edited by Ravenbomb