TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Toxxic

OK, who's the best on the mic of all time

Flair is great on the mic, and even the little bit of stuff he's been doing in Evolution lately has been entertaining the hell outta me lately.

Anyway, Flair, Foley, Rock, Brian Pillman, Jake Roberts and Paul Heyman stand out most in my mind. Jericho's great, but I dunno if I'd call him one of the all-time greats.

Guest One Trick Pony

Loose Cannon annoyed me because he'd usually try and incorporate smark talk which would go over the heads of the majority.

I've seen Flair promos and they're only good when he isn't turning beet red and screaming shit with interlaced whoos. His Horsemen return promo and his "I'm going to beat HHH" promos along with some others I'm forgetting were good but I think he's horrible when he does his normal shtick.

Jericho's quite good in this new heel form. He was poor when he was in his imitation and mockery period as a WWE face and WCW heel. None of the jokes ever made me laugh. I thought they were worse than shit you pulled out of a joke book.

heel rock is my fav ever

i also love hogan on the mic . i was watching wmV the other day and he cut a promo were he was ranting about how he thought donald trump was nervous because he didnt think the structure of trump towers was strong enough to handle the mega powers exploding off the launching pad...that was fuckin gold

I'm gonna have to go with Jake Roberts for greatest all time......The man with his words could get into your skin and make you picture exactly what he was saying. Awesome

Money promos: Hogan

Emotional Promos: Flair

Psychologocial/Dark Promos: Roberts

Psycho Promos: Pillman

Top 5 IMO are:

Flair

Pillman

Roberts

Hogan

Anderson

Foley's overrated, and Austin learned he knows off Pillman(as he's admitted) so I'll take the teacher over the student. And Jericho & Rock have never done any promo which made me feel anything emoitonally("I Am Not a Joke" wasn't that great to me)

People even considering Jericho are insane.

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts is one of few men who literally sent chills down my spine through their promos and justified my arguments with my parents as to the authenticity of wrestling (I was 12, shut up).

Roberts is the best I've ever seen, heard and felt. No-one comes close.

UYI

Guest Korgath

It used to be Paul Bearer. Totally fascinated me with his whiny heelishness. I have the utmost respect for that man to this day.

But nothing beats the Rock. Nothing. It's a pity then, that his standard became the passing grade for everyone else in the WWE.

Warrior, and Sid are the best at being bad. As in they're really emotional and try hard, but they're so bad they're brilliant. Guys like Malenko and umm, let's just say Saturn are just boring. Sid and Warrior have so much passion though, at least in their interviews. That's one thing I respect about those old steroid monsters from the eighties, in that their interviews were always interesting, as they always gave it a try, even if they sucked for the most part. I can't be the only one who enjoyed LOD or Tugboat promos. No money is made or anything, but that doesn't really matter for them.

As far as people who are actually good on the mic, I'd have to say Foley and Roberts were the ones that I enjoyed the most personally. Than again, for the most part I've been a WWF mark so I haven't seen Flair, Anderson, etc. in their prime.

Underrated: Bret Hart fo sho.

All I can think of for now.

People even considering Jericho are insane.

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts is one of few men who literally sent chills down my spine through their promos and justified my arguments with my parents as to the authenticity of wrestling (I was 12, shut up).

Roberts is the best I've ever seen, heard and felt. No-one comes close.

UYI

In retrospect his interviews/promos seem all the more gripping because of what we've come to find out about the man in the years since, its almost scary how much of the real Jake was in those captivating performances he gave. He never had a great look or any real title success but he always had that crucial 'it' factor which had live crowds and viewers at home eating out of their hands.

Owen Hart could alternate between being goofy and convincingly serious with that vital crack of emotion in his voice. Piper was one of my favourites, he wasn't the most versatile maybe but he was as entertaining as anybody past or present IMO. If we're mentioning non-wrestlers then Cornette deserves a nod, fans used to go apeshit when a face got their hands on him (Heenan was the same in the WWF). He's not in the best ever running of course but New Jack (non-wrestler?) was great through basic natural charisma.

Guest THE MIGHTY THOR

Rock hands down. I remember that promo he cut on Billy Gunn for "the kiss my ass" match at SS 99, about Billy looking up to the sky and praying to God. Then all of a sudden God answers him but calls him Bob, and he goes"But my name is Billy" with God answering back to him"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!!!!", that was a classic.

Guest Quik

Save for a few beacons of light, Rock is the most overrated ever.

"Lick a llama's anus"

Random quotes about monkeys, feces, donkeys, hermaphordites, and whatnot? The guy blew when he did his usual shtick

1. "Finally, the Rock has come back to [City]"

2. Addresses current angle

3. Makes joke at opponent's expense

4. Continues addressing angle

5. Makes fun of interviewer

6. Quikly recaps current angle, adds one last insult for opponent.

7. "If ya smell-a-la-la-la-la, what the Rock, is cookin' " Eyebrow raise, stare at camera.

That is almost every Goddamn Rock promo. Fuck him.

Guest NCJ

If you don't think The Rock can do a good emotional promo see the interview with him, Austin and J.R.. One of my favorite promos ever. Rock and Austin were on and they both basically told the story of how the match would go. Austin putting over how there could be only one WWE champion and Rock putting over how it was about who was better. I also liked Rock's promos leading into the title match with Angle match at No Way Out that year.

Guest TheHulkster

I think facial expression plays a big part in cutting a good promo. When a pro wrestler really understands his character and expresses that character's emotions pertaining to the situation that they are in, great stuff can come out. Believability is very important too. That is why I can't really list Jericho with the greats in the promo category. I think Chris Jericho is a hell of a talent, but one week he'll try being Roddy Piper, the next he'll try being Flair or The Rock. I'm not saying it's totally his fault (it might be an issue with the writers), but sometimes he seems to have a hard time expressing the character of Chris Jericho to the audience.

Anyway, My personal favorites:

Roddy Piper (Where is the Piper love? In his prime, the man cut some phenomenal promos)

Terry Funk

Ric Flair

Jake Roberts

Steve Austin (In his prime anyway)

Guest The Man

Foley in ECW. "Excuse me, I seem to have some watercress stuck in my teeth." He then flosses his teeth with the microphone cord. Greatest promo ever.

Save for a few beacons of light, Rock is the most overrated ever.

"Lick a llama's anus"

Random quotes about monkeys, feces, donkeys, hermaphordites, and whatnot? The guy blew when he did his usual shtick

1. "Finally, the Rock has come back to [City]"

2. Addresses current angle

3. Makes joke at opponent's expense

4. Continues addressing angle

5. Makes fun of interviewer

6. Quikly recaps current angle, adds one last insult for opponent.

7. "If ya smell-a-la-la-la-la, what the Rock, is cookin' " Eyebrow raise, stare at camera.

That is almost every Goddamn Rock promo. Fuck him.

You've stumbled upon the reason why he's so popular - because the idiot marks *remember* him because of his repetition act that heavily involved crowd participation.

The common wrestling fan is not a pretty sight.

UYI

Guest Goodear

I'm sorry but Jericho just doesn't have that air of believability about him the same way a good talker does. I just don't buy him as being really upset ever and I don't find him to be all that amusing when he tries to go down that route. The mispronunciation of words and stupid nicknames do nothing to help me do that either.

The most fun part about The Rock (who despite what people might say had audiences by the brain during promos) was that he actually understood how to work a crowd. The 'Hey, this isn't singalong with The Rock' and the 'YAYYYY! The Rock said Montreal I live there YAYYYYYY!' were two of the best heel bits I've ever seen from a guy that had to work hard to get people against him.

Guest NCJ
The most fun part about The Rock (who despite what people might say had audiences by the brain during promos) was that he actually understood how to work a crowd. The 'Hey, this isn't singalong with The Rock' and the 'YAYYYY! The Rock said Montreal I live there YAYYYYYY!' were two of the best heel bits I've ever seen from a guy that had to work hard to get people against him.

One of the funniest bits I have ever seen from a heel. The crowds still wanted to cheer him. Also the promos he cut goin into the match at the Rumble with Foley were classic.

My favourite on the mic of all time would be The Rock.

My fave moment came from everyone's fave, The Undertaker ( that WAS a joke )

UT : Kurt Angle's Gonna Need a Doctor, To Surgically Remove My Foot From His Ass !