TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Funniest people of all time

For the hell off it. Who do you think are some of the funniest entertainers of all time?

The Marx Brothers. I'll save indiviual praise for later. The chemistry was great, and each brother had a strength. Nearly 75 years since their film, and their still has funny as ever.

Buster Keaton.What I love about Keaton is he plays every scene the same reguardless. Whether it be riding the front of a train, or just in a car. The character is never attempting to be funny. We just know it's funny, and so did Keaton.

I agree on Keaton (even more so as a filmmaker). He had the ability to make even the slightest shift in his facial expression seem hilarious.

Also:

Peter Sellers. Just such incredible timing, and like Keaton had the gift of being able to make anything seem hilarious.

Spike Milligan.

Once there was an interview of his that I heard. "Once my father woke me in the middle of the night, shook me awake. He said 'Son, there's something important I have to tell you. I've never shot a bear before.' I said 'It's 2:30 in the morning, why did you wake me just to tell me that?' And he said 'Well, I had to tell someone, didn't I?'"

Great stuff, great man.

The Python Team: Enough said.

Jonathan Winters. A pioneer in the world of improv and one of the fast minds ever to this day. I've seen him run laps around Robin Williams.

Richard Pryor. Just about every standup today is derivative of Richard's straight forward and honest style, along with him being a brilliant observanionist and so willing to talk about his own troubles.

Fred Willard. The dude is just plain funny. His timing is impeccable and he plays everything to the hilt. Highly underrated.

Guest Ahhee

Richard Pryor - as noted above.

Benny Hill - Not only was he a master of sight gags/slapstick, but his songwriting was genius.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Bill Murray is consistantly funny and entertaining whenever he's on screen.

Redd Foxx and Goerge Carlin also deserve note.

David Cross, everything he does is hilarious, from his stand up to all the characters he plays. It's kind of hard to explain, but he knows exactly where the line between brilliant and too much is, and he'll stay there the whole time but never cross it.

Chris Elliott has an intangible quality which makes him funny if he's doing no more than just standing there.

I think Trey Parker might be one of the funniest people in all of history. His overall movements and delivery in BASEketball make it a classic, and the fact that he and Matt usually do most of the writing for South Park is genius.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Bill Murray

Mike Smith who plays Bubbles on Trailor Park Boys.

I am also partial to Chevy Chase, but thats a whole 'nother beast.

and most might disagree....Martin Lawrence. His numerous characters on "Martin" were the best!

I find him more annoying then anything else.

Dave Chappelle is great. He should be mentioned at the same leve as Chris Rock is for black comedy.

Robin Williams...everything he says isn't funny. But he's so damn quick and out there that it's entertaining.

Guest Anglesault
Robin Williams.

And as for most over rated funny man ever: Jim Carrey.

Funny, I'd have said Robin Williams was the most over rated.

I'd say Williams' really good stand up stuff absolutely blows Carrey out of the water. I mean, absolutely no competition.

Some of his more recent movie stuff isn't that great, but even that is better than Carrey's "make funny faces and scream really loudly" bit. It's okay to include that into your stuff, but to base your career around it is absurd. (Although apparently profitable) I watched Liar Liar the other day and couldn't get through it.

Both Jim Carrey and Robin Williams need to have at least somewhat good supporting casts around them. In fact the most underrated aspects of comedies is the supporting cast. Just look at Carrey's movies, has he ever made a good movie without a solid supporting cast?

Funniest person of all time is way too broad of a subject but I can name the most underrated comedian right now has to be Zach Gallafinakis (I don't know how the fuck to spell his fucking name). Anybody who can kick ass even in Bubble Boy has to get some respect and Out Cold is damn good for a cheesy teen comedy. His stand up and short lived talk show were awesome to boot.

My least favorite comedian has got to be Eddie Griffin. No wonder why every movie he's starred in has been a bomb. Stand up isn't funny, movies aren't funny and every time he appears on TV I got the urge to grab a megaphone and tell the nearest Hollywood executive "THE FUCKER'S NOT FUNNY!"

Funniest person of all time is way too broad of a subject but I can name the most underrated comedian right now has to be Zach Gallafinakis (I don't know how the fuck to spell his fucking name). Anybody who can kick ass even in Bubble Boy has to get some respect and Out Cold is damn good for a cheesy teen comedy. His stand up and short lived talk show were awesome to boot.

I am so with you. Out Cold and Bubble Boiy are funny as shit. And his stand up is great.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Robin Williams hasn't come close to the genius that is Cable Guy. Shit, even Dumb and Dumber.

Canadians, its their only good product.

And, somehow, Mike Bullard has a late night talk show.

Hey, did razateca just disrespect Gretzky?

But yes, it's a shame that Bullard has a show.

My list:

- The Pythons

- Benny Hill

- Rowan Atkinson

- Robin Williams on drugs

- George Carlin

- Steven Wright

- Chris Rock

- Abbott and Costello

Marx Brothers were the first that came to mind. Anyone who hasn't see at least their early movies doesn't know what they're missing.

Monty Python too. God is that show funny...

Robin Williams hasn't come close to the genius that is Cable Guy. Shit, even Dumb and Dumber.

the words "cable guy" and "genius" should never be used in the same sentence.

i go with the marx brothers as well.