TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Recent Purchases

Guest Fire and Knives

f91638eef61.jpg

It concerns me that the song I like most on this album is anthems for a seventeen year old girl. When asked what my favorite song on this album is, I shall respond, "Track 7."

"What's the name of the song?"

"...I don't know."

K.

Guest Fire and Knives

Any idea where I can find the original version of Almost Crimes? Limewire isn't turning up anything.

K.

"Black Love" by the Afghan Whigs

REALLY FUCKING GREAT ALBUM ALERT

Was just listening to this again this afternoon. The opening salvo of tracks is incredible, and "Faded" is the best closing track they've ever done. Which is saying a lot. I'm on a big Whigs kick of late, this album especially.

I love the beginning of 'Bulletproof'.

Even though I agree its good that's only really my 4th favourite Whigs album. The brilliant 'Congregation' album never got pimped the way 'Gentlemen' always has and it damn well should have been! That album must have the best title track and hidden track they ever did.

No more albums for the rest of July.

Ok, I lied. Used copy of Outkast's ATLiens. I had to do it.

Well, that's perfectly understanble. After all, I think ATLiens their best album, and possibly the best hip-hop album of the 90s, with the exception of The Low-End Theory.

Guest two_tuff_toddy

Yesterday I bought the following.

Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money

Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention - Weasles Ripped My Flesh

Two GREAT albums that I would recommend to anybody. I'm slightly partial towards Weasles but they both are the shit. Of course, isn't everything that Zappa did before 1980?

Well, that's perfectly understanble. After all, I think ATLiens their best album, and possibly the best hip-hop album of the 90s, with the exception of The Low-End Theory.

Very surprisingly I find myself coming around to this way of thought, now that I’m listening to it just about daily. ATLiens really gets the hooks in quickly; “You May Die” is totally off-the-charts as an intro, and between that, “Two Dope Boys in a Cadillac,” and the title track, it’s off-and-running faster than anything else they’ve done. ATLiens definitely feels like an Aquemini prototype; similar atmosphere and production, but this one is tighter overall (under an hour, zounds!) while Aquemini has the genius skits and a real sense of sprawl, for better and for worse. In the end I think it’s probably recency and I’ll probably go back to Aquemini as my favorite (despite “Senorita,” woof), but ATLiens is really fighting hard for that spot these days.

"Joya Magica" by the 60ft Dolls, which was released after they split, for only £3. Really good album, much better than the time I saw their lead singer do a solo acoustic set to 35,000 wet Catatonia fans in Port Talbot.

Also got the Probot album, which is pretty good. Gotta love the Lemmy track and the presence of Lee Dorian of Cathedral (one of the only bands I can say come from where I live, the other one being the Specials)

Picked up:

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Audioslave - Audioslave

Megadeth - Youthanasia

They were in a deal 3 for £20, a bargain if i do say so myself.

just finished buying the wedding present for my best friend, who recently got a turntable but keeps bitching about not having anything to play it on. so i got him:

tori amos - under the pink

rage against the machine - evil empire

prince - 1999

monty python - another monty python record

nine inch nails - the downward spiral

outkast - speakerboxxx/the love below

prince - purple rain

miles davis - miles smiles

men without hats - rhythm of youth

jane's addiction - ritual de lo habitual

For $10 each:

REM - Murmur

Roxy Music - Avalon

I really love both albums. Avalon is probably the best melancholy album ever (I know many cite Joy Division as better, but I think they do this just to be hip). The title track is among my favourites ever.

As for Murmur, I loved it too. It's pretty great to hear the roots of their sound before it evolved into what it did. However, it had four bonus tracks stuck at the end, three live versions of songs off the album plus a cover of There She Goes Again off The Velvet Underground And Nico which was the B-Side to Radio Free Europe. While the latter is okay, I think they detract from listening to it and spoil the atmosphere of the album (plus the sound quality on the live tracks is poor at times). I think it's a great album, but I don't think I'll ever actually listen to the bonus tracks again, barring perhaps There She Goes Again.

Not a purchase but rather a long-dormant discovery, I found a shitload of good records on my parent's record shelf that they were moving around - and they still work:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon

Richard Pryor's Greatest Hits

George Carlin - Toledo Window Box

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA

Star Wars: the London Philharmonic Orchestra

John Denver and the Muppet's - Christmas Together

Rocky OST

The Beatles - 1967-70 (compilation)

The Muppet Show (self-titled album)

And there's still two shelves I haven't gone through. Sweet.

Very surprisingly I find myself coming around to this way of thought, now that I’m listening to it just about daily. ATLiens really gets the hooks in quickly; “You May Die” is totally off-the-charts as an intro, and between that, “Two Dope Boys in a Cadillac,” and the title track, it’s off-and-running faster than anything else they’ve done. ATLiens definitely feels like an Aquemini prototype; similar atmosphere and production, but this one is tighter overall (under an hour, zounds!) while Aquemini has the genius skits and a real sense of sprawl, for better and for worse. In the end I think it’s probably recency and I’ll probably go back to Aquemini as my favorite (despite “Senorita,” woof), but ATLiens is really fighting hard for that spot these days.

Then, of course, there's "Elevators." When I bought ATLiens for the second time, I knew how great it was, but I got all sentimental. When I was in junior in high school, that album was just released, and my buddies and I would sit around and do bong rips for HOURS listening to it, and "Elevators" was always the last song we listened to.

Now that I've grown older and stopped doing drugs, I can listen to that album and appreciate it for what it is: The perfect step-up from Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik, and like you stated, the perfect precoursor to Aquemini. I can't really find any faults with that album. Andre and Big Boi both have perfect flow throughout, and Organized Noize does a fabulous preduction job, coming up with beats never heard of before.

I love the lack of skits, as I think they take away from the music, fo the most part, though the ones on Aquemini are done just right, and alwys have something to do with the next track on the album. There's meaning behind them, which pleases me greatly.

A re-issue of "Seamonsters" by the Wedding Present. Great album, although the bonus tracks aren't really needed (though the cover of "Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)" has some curiosity value. "Corduroy" still sounds awesome.

Guest two_tuff_toddy

Last Thursday I got the following

Frank Zappa - Cheap Thrills

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (One of the best and most addictive CD's ever)

Rush - Moving Pictures

Today I Got

Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - Absolutely Free

Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - Just Another Band From LA

Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures

Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka

This Thursday I am going to get

Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - One-Nite Sensation

Frank Zappa - Does Humor Belong In Music?

A Queen album to be named later

My Zappa collection has grown by leaps and bounds this week as the more I hear of the man the higher on my list of favorite musicians ever he goes. All of these albums are decent to great but I really recommend Hot Rats to anybody. If you are going to just get one of his albums to try him out Hot Rats is the way to go. You won't (or shouldn't) be disappointed. Jusk as Agent Of Oblivion.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

^See what happens when people hang out with me?

PS: It's Overnight Sensation.

A re-issue of "Seamonsters" by the Wedding Present. Great album, although the bonus tracks aren't really needed (though the cover of "Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)" has some curiosity value. "Corduroy" still sounds awesome.

'Crawl' and 'Niagra' are both fantastic, though.

P.S: I hate the new Allmusic site

Join the club. I can't stand the tabs, or the ridiculous way that reading the album review now precludes you from looking at the tracklist and vice versa. At least it's much faster now than it was right after the re-design launched.

Guest two_tuff_toddy

^See what happens when people hang out with me?

PS: It's Overnight Sensation.

I know I was just not thinking when I wrote it.

By the way I went up to Wooden Nickle today (Wednesday) and bought

Joes Garage and Roxy & Elsewhere.

I've listen to the latter all the way through 2 times so far and I think it is my 2nd

favorite Zappa album from what I own. Live Zappa is so fucking awesome.

I am making a copy of it for you as we speak. I am still going to buy the other 2 when I get paid tomorrow and I will make copies of those for you as well. You need to dig out your other zappa albums for me and bring them when you come to pick up your others. I NEED MORE ZAPPA NOW. Collecting Zappa albums is like a crack addiction to me at this point.