TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

The Passion of the Christ

Guest JMA

I'm interested in seeing it. Even though I'm an atheist, I've always enjoyed the story of Jesus. It has all the elements of a good drama. "Passion" is an appropirate title.

It's a misconception that the Buddha was fat; infact, it is said that he was very thin. The plump, laughing figures found in Chinese restaurants and curio shops are actually not Buddhas at all, but rather kitchen gods.

Besides, Buddha wouldn't take the ladies even if they offered themselves to him. To break from from the karmic cycle, one must not bind themselves to desire, thirst, and craving.

G-zuzz OTOH, was a clear daddy of mack.

Gone With the Wind. I think.

Ding ding ding.

She is a very strict pentecostal type of older woman, so I hope that the Catholic elements (if they are really showcased) do not keep her from enjoying the film She'll get out and leave if there is ANYTHING she doesn't like about it, I just know it.

Guest Choken One

So she hasn’t been in a theater since 1939? Well, She’s in for a cultural shock.

Guest thebigjig
So she hasn’t been in a theater since 1939? Well, She’s in for a cultural shock.

Wonder if she'll like the three back to back Bod Spray commercials that are plaguing every damn movie that I've seen or several months

Wonder if she'll like the three back to back Bod Spray commercials that are plaguing every damn movie that I've seen or several months

Grandma: Uh, *Insert Downhome's real name here*

Downhome: Yeah?

Grandma....*whispers* I see black people!

Guest thebigjig

I think the makers of body spray should use Jesus as a marketing tool... imagine right before Passion starts up... a camera pans up from the bottom of what appears to be a cross.. further up until jesus comes into full view... dying on the cross... "why has thou forsaken me??" then cue the techno bod spray music... then the romans apply bod spray, and a girl's voice says "Jesus, I want your bod"

Hmmm its a thought

So she hasn?t been in a theater since 1939? Well, She?s in for a cultural shock.

Grandma: Uh, *Insert Downhome's real name here*

Downhome: Yeah?

Grandma....*whispers* I see black people!

Yeah, she's in for a shock all right. I just know she'll end up leaving making everyone feel stupid.

We don't have commercials in any theaters in my area. I hear people talking about that all of the time, but I haven't seen any of them around here.

I'll let you all know how she takes being out in a public place like the theater, heh.

Guest thebigjig

Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars and said it was the most violent film he's ever seen, and questioned why the MPAA didnt give it an NC-17 rating... going so far as to say if there had been anyone else up on that cross in the film, it would've gotten that rating

I'd like to see this, even though I'm an atheist. There are a lot of interesting stories in the Bible, and the last day of Jesus' life is one of them.

A review from the New Yorker that takes a different perspective than Ebert. David Denby sees the gore as excoriating and pretty much destructive to any message of goodness, living up to most of the criticisms early screeners of the film had suggested.

I do kinda want to see it. I mostly really want to see it in one of these screenings full of church groups who were stupid enough to rent out a whole theater and bring all their children to see it just because it's about Jesus. There's going to be vomit and tears everywhere.

Guest El Satanico

Well I can guarantee I'd be disappointed by the violence if I see it.

I'm always disappointed when a reputable critic makes big claims of violence and./or gore.

Guest SP-1
A review from the New Yorker that takes a different perspective than Ebert. David Denby sees the gore as excoriating and pretty much destructive to any message of goodness, living up to most of the criticisms early screeners of the film had suggested.

I do kinda want to see it. I mostly really want to see it in one of these screenings full of church groups who were stupid enough to rent out a whole theater and bring all their children to see it just because it's about Jesus. There's going to be vomit and tears everywhere.

The thing is, is that an understanding of how violent the ordeal was is needed these days, I think. People tend to just have a bloodless image of an otherwise okay Jesus strapped to a cross in their minds. He was beaten severely, mocked, and nailed to a cross to take the punishment for sin on himself so that we wouldn't have to, eternally speaking.

For the Christians especially, this needs to be seen. We need to see what our sin did to Him. The severity of the matter. The weight of it. It may help those who don't, recognize how serious a matter sin is.

As for destroying any good message . . . so far I've not seen evidence of that. A friend of mine who is almost ready to graduate (we attend a Christian school that's probably one of the best at equipping us in biblical studies despite out low profile -- AKA we generally know our stuff) saw a sneak preview and she was deeply affected and changed by it. In fact, she's discernably happier since, and she said that it prompted her to re-evaluate her relationship with God and start seeking him more deeply than she had been.

I should be there tomorrow afternoon. From what I've heard, the Catholic elements aren't overriding the basic message and events of the gospels. My friend said they weren't a big deal at all and I trust her on that. But I do want to see for myself.

Yes, everything I keep hearing about it is how the movie could emotionally and mentally scar all the church kids who go see it.

I think I read that some theatres are double checking with the church groups bringing kids to make sure that they really want to involve the kids, but they aren't going to stop them from bringing the kids.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing it but I think I'll probably wait for the DVD.

Not my type of movie. My 8th grade religon teacher freaked me out enough about the crucifixion without a 40 minute(from what I've heard) scene seeing nails driven into a man's hands and feet. Yuck. I'd rather watch Life Of Brian again. Heck, I'd rather watch Legend Of Lemnear than that.

Thou Shalt not dis Life of Brian.

Guest Choken One
Ebert seemed genuinely moved by the film. I can't wait to see this.

wow. He hasn't been moved since the last Triple Burger he had...Which was 4 seconds ago. Whoops, he just ate another.