TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

The OAO NBA Playoffs/Finals Thread

Guest Crazy Dan

Wow, what a finish to the Spurs-Lakers game. I thought the Spurs had this one, but the Lakers come back, and of all people, Derrick Fisher, is called on to make the last second shot, and he drains it. Who'd a thunk it? So the Lakers look like they might actually pull this one out. Gut check time for the Spurs. But the Lakers are doing just enough right things, and now are one win away from the next round. The Spurs let the Lakers back into this series, and as I said before, do not let the Lakers breathe, becuase they will find ways to win. I am not sure if the Lakers will win Game 6, but it is definately looking good for them. But at the same time, do not let up on the Spurs, for they are capable of winning two in a row. But I do think that Fisher realised the ball before time ran out, so I don't think that is as controversial as it might be made out to be.

Man, I am loving the playoffs this year. Sans the bad first round, the second round will be at least 6 games or more. Teams are not rolling over, and we are getting some great finishes. And right now many series is a toss up, where I am not sure who is going to the next round. (Go Kings, please pull it out). So hopefully this is kept up. And I am really hopping for a close Finals this year. I want it to go to 7 games, because basketball fans deserve it for once. No more of this 4-0 sweeps. And I think that there are some East teams that could actually do this, but time will tell. Until then, let the series go full 7, and I will be a happy boy. And Go Kings (even though I said the T-Wolves would prevail, I am still a Kings fan).

with .4 seconds left, you would basically have to get the inbound pass and then hit it like a volleyball towards the hoop and hope it goes in. Sounds like the clock clearly started late, but in the playoffs, the ball tends to bounce the Lakers way in close games like this.

Guest Deebo

Stop bitching.

If we're going to review how much time is on the clock during a shot, let's go to the shot that determined how much time would be on the clock for the Lakers.

Tim Duncan's shot..

08seconds.jpg

Clearly .8 seconds on the clock as the ball is through the net, however it keeps running down to only .4 So had the clock stopped at the appropriate time, there would have been .8 left for the Lakers and this would be a moot point.

It's called HUMAN ERROR. The clock is never going to stop exactly when the ball goes through the net and it's never going to start exactly when a player touches it. That's how it;s always been.

Lakers win, get over it.

Guest OraleHolmes

Thanks Deebo. You should e-mail that to Popovich and the Spurs so they'll recant their official "complaint."

Stupid rule change, I complained 2 years ago when they changed it and it is a stupid rule now.

The games now fall depend on humans and it is understood that there is a huge flaw in it.

Wow.

I don't like the Lakers, but I didn't see anything wrong with Fisher's shot. He got it off before the light, and in slo-mo, there wasn't significant time between the time the clock started and Fisher touching the ball. Like Deebo said, that happens all the time...the clock is almost never going to start *right* when a guy touches the ball.

Now, my head says the Lakers will finish this off in Game 6...but I know firsthand (see 1994 ECF) that this isn't impossible to win if you're the Spurs. Remember, the same thing happened to SA against the Suns...and they responded by winning two games.

The funny part to me, though, is that Shaq was talking about how DUNCAN's shot was lucky...

Wow.

I don't like the Lakers, but I didn't see anything wrong with Fisher's shot.  He got it off before the light, and in slo-mo, there wasn't significant time between the time the clock started and Fisher touching the ball.  Like Deebo said, that happens all the time...the clock is almost never going to start *right* when a guy touches the ball.

And that is why I hate the rule change.

So basically it was "We know that human error will not allow for time to be accurate at the end of a game, so we will do study after study, analyzing frame by frame shots to see what is possible and not in what amount of time to eleminate this." That was the rule...FOREVER.

Then all of a sudden Barron Davis hits a shot with .7 seconds left that shouldn't have been possible(and it wasn't...the clock started late there too) coupled with Reggie Miller ALMOST eliminating the nets with a shot that shouldn't have counted made the NBA say, he screw the FACT that we know how we handle this is right, lets change it because of the controversy.

Then you end up with crap like that Lamond Murry shot against the nets when he literally caught the ball, jumped behind the 3 point line and shot a regular 3....with .5 seconds left. The refs later said they knew that it was no way he got the shot off in .5 seconds, but they only could go by did he beat the clock. The rule is ridiculous.

Fisher had 12 frames of video between touching that ball and releasing it for it to be .4 seconds. Lamond Murray had 15 frames. Why the rule doesn't allow a simple frame count from time the ball touches hands to the shot leaves is beyound me.

All that said, they had better not even think if overturning the shot or apologizing(the NBA) because it is their stupid ass rule that accepts human error even though they know it is there.

Bottomline. Laker fans should be writing Baron Davis and Reggie Miller thank you notes RIGHT NOW.

Edit..

I would like to add to the ridiculousness of the NBA with the David Stern frustrated with Long Playoffs and will look to change. .

Bitch..YOU changed them so no night would have two games on at the same time!

I obviously know about Reggie's shot...but you'll have to explain the Baron Davis situation to me.

I obviously know about Reggie's shot...but you'll have to explain the Baron Davis situation to me.

.7 seconds left in the first round of the playoffs with a tie game(same day as the Reggie shot actually)

Barron flashed to the top of the key and caught the ball, turned and shot a three and hit it...all while never touching the ground. The ref waved it off because they had their rules as to what was possible and not with so much time left. The hornets went on to win in overtime.

But then came the analysis looking at the replay and saw that the ball was out barrons hand at .4 seconds according to the rule. Now, common sense tells anyone that noone can turn and shot in .3 of a second, but according to the clock, that is what happened. Like Stern said when you have that little time left, you get a extra .1-.3 seconds between the time the ball touches the guys hands and the clock starts, so the refs were given this rule as a way to safe guard. But Barrons shot that was "good" coupled with Reggies had everyone questioning the rule.

I have no problem with the replay system in general, but to completely disregard the Fact that they KNOW the guys are getting a free couple of tics and are now saying ignore that...its just pisses me off.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

if you really want to get picky about .2 seconds, it should be mentioned that Timmy's shot went in at about .6

Ok guys......the damn Lakers won the game......there's nothing we can do about it. I guess we have to hope for a 2-straight San Antonio victory.

Where is the next game? LA? Then if SA wins they go home for Game 7?

I will bitch about the dumbest rule in sports until it is changed. Of course bitching on a internet message board isn't really pushing to get it done but this is a start.

*starts bitching*

This is what sucks most. I watched the replay and under the rule.....he got it off quick enough.

The thing that sucks is that they won fair and squared pretty much. Which just sucks ass because when you hate something so much and they pull out a fair victory at the last second......you just want to cry.

The worst thing about it to me is that it soured one of the greatest endings in playoff basketball HISTORY for me at least(I know it won't make a difference to most).

But you take the rule change I hate the MOST and toss it into two of the most incridibly clutch shots I have ever seen and mix it up and what you got is still incredible...but just not as good as it could have been.

I WISH fisher had released the shot on time. Then I would have something to tell the kids about.

Now it has just started "ripper bitching about that goddamn rule change" part 1000

Very demoralizing for the Spurs. It's all in how they respond now. They have to try to forget game 5 and concentrate on staving off elimination. I don't know if that's going to happen. Looking at the Spurs demeanor after the shot and the post game reactions of Duncan and Co., if I were a Spurs fan, I'd be concerned. Their body language wasn't good and they looked like they were eliminated from the playoffs with that play.

For Sac to win over Minn I think they have to do it in 6 games. The Kings don't fare well in game 7's as shown the last 2 years. While the Lakers are a better matchup for the Kings, I still wouldn't put money on Sac. Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for my Kings, but I can't for sure call anything with them this season with all their helter skelter play.

Detroit and Indiana can give any of the Western Conference teams a run for their money. If any of those teams end up in the Finals, the series will go 6-7 games for sure. If New Jersey or Miami (yeah right) end up in the finals, you'll be lucky to see a 5 game series against the West.

I think the SPurs biggest problem is that they have a really young point guard that if he misses one or two shots, you can see his confidence just disappear. If he hits one or two in a row, he is a great player...but if he goes cold....watch out.

Greatest finish I've ever seen! I really can't think of a player that deserves it more... really a cool feeling to know you're seeing something historic. The shot was completely and totally good by all counts... above 0.3 allows a player to catch and shoot in one motion, that's exactly what Fisher did (there was no turning). The clock was started on time and there wouldn't even be an issue if the Lakers were given between 0.7 and 0.8 as they should have been.

I think the Spurs are crushed... but I still think they have a chance because of Kobe's health concerns. However I think the Lakers will close it out Saturday.

What a game!

Greatest finish I've ever seen! I really can't think of a player that deserves it more... really a cool feeling to know you're seeing something historic. The shot was completely and totally good by all counts... above 0.3 allows a player to catch and shoot in one motion, that's exactly what Fisher did (there was no turning). The clock was started on time and there wouldn't even be an issue if the Lakers were given between 0.7 and 0.8 as they should have been.

I think the Spurs are crushed... but I still think they have a chance because of Kobe's health concerns. However I think the Lakers will close it out Saturday.

What a game!

Did I miss him shooting the ball over his shoulder or something?

In the "no shit, Sherlock" dept of NBA news, David Stern has rejected the Spurs contention of "the shot". Looks like the Spurs are going to have to do it the hard way and win on Saturday to keep their playoff hopes alive.

Yeah right.

I think just about any team would be seriously demoralized after that finish. If the Spurs come out and win game 6, they really are robots or something because that finish would take anyone out of it. If the roles were reversed and it was the Spurs hitting a game winner with .4 on the clock, I'd say the exact same thing about the Lakers.

One thing that bothers the fuck out of me is that if, and that's a big if, the Spurs win on Saturday, game 7 won't be until fucking Wednesday. That is bullshit. Supposedly the Commissioner has said that next season the playoff games will be scheduled closer to each other. I will wait and see for that.

It was one fluid motion... if you saw anything else it's because you wanted to see it. Why haven't you commented on the fact that the Lakers should've had .7 - .8 seconds in the first place?

Guest OraleHolmes

That's right, the Lakers SHOULD'VE been given between 0.7 and 0.8 and not the 0.4 they were given. But still, that tough bastard, Derek Fisher, still beat the odds according to the refs and countless replays. The Lakers not only pulled off a miracle, but they had to overcome the timekeeper's shoddy work, as well. My hats off to Derek Fisher, a guy who won the NBA benefactor award for helping out his community.

It was one fluid motion... if you saw anything else it's because you wanted to see it.  Why haven't you commented on the fact that the Lakers should've had .7 - .8 seconds in the first place?

because there is not recently changed rule in the NBA that pretty much determined the out come of the game. By the rules no doubt, and I have not as much of a problem with the game as I do the dumb ass rule.

Please explain to me how a man catches a ball FACING the out of bounds line and shoots at the basket without turning.

I guess the curse of being on the cover of Sports Illustrated has been lifted. The cover of the new issue has Malone and Kobe aggresively doubling Duncan with the title "Lakers Last Stand". The article goes on about how the Lakers are using the fact that the nucleus of the team (Shaq, Phil, Kobe) will probrably not be in tact next season and that they have to take advantage of their oppurtunity right now. I remember earlier this year during the NCAA tourney that SI picked UConn to win it all and they were the poster boys. Lo and behold they won. I think SI picked the Lakers to win it all this year in the NBA during their playoff issue.

The inspiration the Lakers are using is also the same as the one the Kings are using. If they don't advance to the Finals this year, there will probrably be changes in Sacto as well like Divac not being resigned, Christie and/or C-Webb being dealt, Adelman perhaps getting canned are all possible if they don't make it. Other Kings news has Bobby Jackson working out the last week in the gym and with the team for a possible comeback in game 6. I doubt that however and think the Kings just use that as a tactic to keep teams from guessing who will be in the rotation. Jackson's contract ends after next year and I don't think he will jeopardize injuring himself further to possibly advance and ruin his chances at landing a big contract when he becomes a free agent next summer.

Guest OraleHolmes

The Lakers were seriously demoralized after Horry's shot rimmed out last year in Game 5. Sure, Kobe brushed it off and said, "I've forgotton it already," but deep down it was the proverbial death knell to the team who saw it as some symbolic, divine intervention, signifying the end of the Laker dynasty. They lost Game 6 by 30 points at home!

The Spurs are dead; not to mention, their players are gonna be EXHAUSTED after getting no sleep for 48 hours. I mean, seriously, do you think these guys, after being the recipients of the "cruelest loss ever" can get any sleep after THAT shot? Believe me, each and every Spur is going to replay that moment over and over again ad nauseum. I forsee many sleepness nights of dread ahead for the Spurs.

Speaking of Horry, if you paid close attention, you would've noticed a moment where he nearly started celebrating after Fisher's basket. Just in time, however, he realized he was wearing a Spurs jersey. I'm beginning to think, too, that Horry still has that 'ol purple n' gold coarsing through his veins. Do you think one of the greatest playoff clutch shooters of ALL TIME can't even draw iron on a point-blank three pointer? Hell no. He missed on purpose, and he's basically phoned in his performances against his old buddies. Even he knew that after last year's disastrous performance in the playoffs -- I believe he was 0/35 from threes -- that he owed his team one... I wouldn't be surprised if Horry was purposely sent by ZenMaster Jackson as part of a master plan to inflitrate the Lakers' arch nemesis, thereby sabotaging them at the most crucial moments. Horry will get his ring in the mail.

Actually Rip, the outcome was determined by Ice Cold Derek Fisher hitting the most clutch shot of his life. If you're not going to be fairminded about the whole situation, people who saw the actual play won't get anywhere with you.

Actually Rip, the outcome was determined by Ice Cold Derek Fisher hitting the most clutch shot of his life. If you're not going to be fairminded about the whole situation, people who saw the actual play won't get anywhere with you.

For the love of christ, am I typing in another language and not noticing.

Between me calling Fishers shot incredibly, great and amazing, what else do I have to do to tell you I am not taking anything away from the shot.

The Lakers, accroding to the rules, won the game. And the reason the Spurs lost was because they came out cold, and couldn't hit open shots.

My problem is with the rule. It has always been with the rule. I hate the rule and I hate that the game came down to a shot that couldn't have gotten off. The rule is flawed, I have always said so and I am pissed that they haven't changed. it.

Yay Lakers. The Spurs coughed up the game, Fisher hit a great, amazing, difficult whatever shot. OKAY. The Lakers won, the Spurs lost.

Hopefully with that, we can move on now...

Nets/Pistons and Kings/Wolves tonight...predictions?

Hopefully with that, we can move on now...

Nets/Pistons and Kings/Wolves tonight...predictions?

Net/Wolves respectively.

The Pistons breaking down physically is going to be what gets NJ the win here and in the series. healthy Pistons vs nets....would be a completely different series. But Rip Hamilton can only do so much.

Same thing for the Kings. To hurt against a very deep team.