TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Shrek 2

I have to admit, off the bat, that I'm a sucker for smart animated movies like Toy Story, Finding Nemo. Judging from the previews of this movie, I didn't think it was going to be as good as the first, just a cute way to pass an hour and a half. I was wrong. Shrek 2 is probably the funniest animated movie I have ever had the priviledge of watching in my life, and that's saying a lot considering how much I love the genre.

I'm not sure if it warrants spoilers, but for anyone who doesn't want any jokes ruined, I'll use the red text.

First of all, when Pinocchio tried to save Shrek, Donkey and Puss from the tower Mission Impossible style. Which lead to this exchange...

Donkey: Tell a lie, say anything...like, I dunno, I'm wearing women's underpants.

Pinocchio: I'm, uh, wearing women's underpants.

*nose doesn't grow*

Donkey: You aren't, are you?

Gingerbread man: It's a THONG!

*snap*

Not to mention the entire character of Puss in Boots, being quite possibly the greatest character in an animated movie. Everything he said or did was funny in some way, especially the throwaway stuff. Like all 3 of them sitting at the bar and him randomingly down a shot of something and saying "I Hate Mondays." Or when Donkey calls him a low rate hitman he just hisses at him and while the movie focuses in on Shrek and Donkey in the front, he calmly puts his hat on and walks out of the scene. Just a great great character.

And one of the coolest things... KNIGHTS, the medieval version of COPS. They corner Puss in Boots and the Knight is like..."We got cat-nip" and pulls out a dime bag.

Puss: That's, uh, not mine.

Also, the giant gingerbread man...falling to his death and saying to the little gingerbread man in the giant sloth voice. BEEEE GOOOOD.

Everything about this movie worked, despite what you might think from the previews. So if you liked the first one, or animated movies in general. I give it the highest recommendation to see.

Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

I was thinking about starting this thread earlier. I saw the movie Wednesday night and it has become my favorite animated movie ever. It was twice as funny as the first, the anmiation was better, and the new characters were all awesome. Each actor did an amazing job with their character, especially Antonio Banderas and Jennifer Saunders. The parody of Cops was gold. My only problem with the movie was that every fourth joke was a pop culture reference. Don't get me wrong, they were all funny. I just would like to have seen a bit more non-satirical humor. Still a fantastic movie though.

Guest OctoberBlood

I LOVED it too. I very much so liked Shrek, but I thought this was 10 times better.

Puss being caught with cat nip was freaking hilarious. What a wonderful movie.

I just kept laughing at the wolf, gingerbread man, pigs , rats, and pinocchio. It was hilarious..Everything everyones talked about was VERY funny....the Bob Barker joke was also funny

O/T...how'd you guys get the red text?

IT's spoiler text.

[ spoiler ] [ / spoiler ]

Take out the spaces, and place text inbetween them.

This that much better? I'm going to see it here soon, so I'm glad it's hilarious. Didn't think it would be as good as you guys are making it out as.

Guest Beingz0wningj00

I was another person skeptical about seeing this movie after seeing the previews... I was eventually talked into going with my friends treating... although I was tempted to say fuck it and go see Troy. However I must say I was busting a gut with this movie... it took little time to establish the premise and from there on in it was both a solid, and extremely hilarious film.

I loved the Gigantic Muffin Man... The Fairy Godmother and Prince Charming being evil shits. Even some of the music to accompany it. Seeing as how everyone has raved about Knights, I'll skip that and make mention to after Donkey and Shrek took the potion...

Donkey: "Hey... what's going on?"

Puss: "You still look like an ass to me."

Very funny stuff. Oh and Pinochio getting zapped into a real boy and back to a doll again... Funny funny movie.

Thoughts:

-Gingerbread Man owns. One of my favcorite animated characters. All the other side characters were good too.

-Puss in Boots was not as funny as I hoped for.

-I didn't find Donkey as funny as he was in the first film.

Overall I liked it better than the original Shrek.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Someone said that they'd seen the film today, and I was like, "Shit, it's out!?"

The parodies sound interesting as hell, and as soon as it's out, I'm off to see it.

On the first film, it's the type that you see over and over again and you get sick of it, but it's still so damn good - can't wait to see how the sequel is better than it's predecessor. Pixar and T2 seem to be about the only ones that can do it.

I didn't like Shrek that much because there was SO much hype around it, so when I saw it I was a bit let down.

So, Shrek 2 was funnier than Monsters Inc.?

Guest slacklet
I have to admit, off the bat, that I'm a sucker for smart animated movies like Toy Story, Finding Nemo.

I stopped reading after this.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking
I didn't like Shrek that much because there was SO much hype around it, so when I saw it I was a bit let down.

So, Shrek 2 was funnier than Monsters Inc.?

It didn't let me down, probably because I didn't catch all the hype, but watching it about 5 times on a 30-hour bus trip, as well as dumbass kids spouting every fucking catchphrase in the movie tends to negate it's immediate credibility. I didn't find the movie hugely funny, because the children's humour wasn't funny, and the adult humour was just like, "Wow, they did that". It was more clever than funny.

And slacklet, what's wrong with Pixar?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Finding Nemo was really funny, actually. I usually find animation to be annoying. It thought Shrek was ok. I doubt I'll see this one until it comes out on dvd, and I'm around some kids for god knows what reason.

I have to admit, off the bat, that I'm a sucker for smart animated movies like Toy Story, Finding Nemo.

I stopped reading after this.

A perfect example of when trying to be funny goes horribly wrong.

If you've seen the movies, which I highly doubt, your opinion is in the far, far minority. I think you're just trying to be cool...and unfortunately failed miserably.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Wait....Finding Nemo is a smart movie? A fish searching for another fish is so cooky-cutter Disney that even a three year old can understand it on first viewing. FN gets my Worst Animated Movie Ever award.

As for Shrek 2, since everyones saying good things, maybe I'll catch it soon.

The humor is smart. It's not like fart, fart, burp humor that's meant for kids to enjoy. So, yes, in that way they are smart animated movies. The jokes are carefully crafted to make kids laugh but add something that they don't understand that will get a chuckle out of adults.

Of course I think they are good, but I do also think they are smart. There are layers of subtle humor in a lot of the Pixar movies that 75% of hollywood could never even dream of creating.

I thought Beavis & Butthead Do America was a lot more "smart-funny" then a lot of the animated movies in recent years.

My main beef with animated movies that try to be over the top funny is that they feature a LOT of recycled comedic material. Like the commercials for Finding Nemo were decent but it would always end with some random fish doing the old David Spade routine, where he would say, "he was like whoa, then she was like where, then he was like ooooooh.......etc etc etc" That just killed it for me. In almost EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE ANIMATED MOVIES, you can find at least 3-5 bits that are complete ripoffs of past comedians, and no they aren't "paying homage" or anything like that.

I somehow doubt that any animated movie designed for children could be smarter than South Park: Bigger, Longer, And Uncut, considering most of the jokes in that got by a lot of the "smart" people I know.

I'll check it out when it comes to DVD. I didn't mind the first one, but it wasn't as funny as people made it out to be.

I just got back. Certainly not smart or even all that funny. Several fart jokes, lots of boring parts, and I only laughed once or twice when the Farbucks Coffee was destroyed and they ran across the street to another Farbucks.

Bad.

In almost EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE ANIMATED MOVIES, you can find at least 3-5 bits that are complete ripoffs of past comedians, and no they aren't "paying homage" or anything like that.

Did anybody sing a song for no apperent reason?

You guys are forgetting this awesome part of the "Cops" scene when the knights were chasing the good guys riding Donkey as a steed: "We're in pursuit of a white bronco".

Twas okay.

You'll enjoy it more once you figure out it's not going to be as good as the first one. The idea behind the villain was appearantly too humorous to these guys to leave alone, and there's too much attention paid to that character and it slows it all down. And did she really need two song breaks, too?

The greatest flaw is probably that her character seems really based on Cruella De Vil more than any other animated villain, but she can't hold a candle to Cruella in actually being bad.

Donkey was lacking

But I think the movie my theater laughed at the most was when the knights were chasing Shrek and Donkey(then a steed) in the castle and Puss turned around all Iniyo Montoya with the disgustingly cute face.

That had people rolling

It was pretty good. Not great, not as good as the first but I didn't feel like I wasted my money. It seemed to me that part of the fun of the first movie was seeing all of the rules being broken (the heavy pop-culture stuff, the satiric edge, flat-out shots at Disney stuff) and we wondered "what will they do now?" We expect it in the second one, and while there are some tremendously funny scenes, it felt a little hollow to me.

In my opinion, neither Shrek can hold a candle to the better Disney movies (Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, Lion King) or the Pixar stuff. It annoys me to this day that Shrek beat Monsters, Inc. for best animated picture.

Shrek was a better movie than Monsters Inc.

Monsters Inc was cute and all, but Shrek was simply a better family movie.

AND this thread lost all credibility when Finding Nemo was called the worst animated movie ever. EXPECIALLY when Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within is RIGHT THERE.

Those of you saying that Finding Nemo, Shrek or even Final Fantasy are the worst animated movies ever have obviously never seen such stunning examples of the artform as:

Tom and Jerry in The Magic Ring

The Land Before Time 2 - 11

The Black Cauldron

My Little Pony: The Movie

G.I. Joe: The Movie (Cobra-la-la-la-la-la)

Titan A.E.

The Lord of the Rings

Pocahontas

Space Jam

... shall I go on?

Guest Beingz0wningj00

Sure... give them more fuel to bitch about. ;)

But who am I to complain... all opinions welcome, I always say... however most will be ignored.

I like(d) GI Joe the movie. :( Of course, I haven't seen it since I was 8, so my memory may be a little clouded.