TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MooreMark

Last Comic Standing 2!

Reality News Online had a recap of Jay Mohr on Jimmy Kimmel regarding the controversy:

Third, Jay Mohr appeared on The Jimmy Kimmel Show Tuesday night. He had some very interesting things to say about the show, yet many East Coast fans probably didn't get a chance to see it due to the show being bumped back to an earlier time-slot thanks to the NBA Finals. In fact, the game was still ongoing as Jay came out to talk to Jimmy and the talk immediately turned to the game. After some other small talk about spelling-bees and having a little bit of help in buying a car, Jimmy turned the attention to Last Comic Standing 2 and the controversy surrounding the show.

Asking Jay straight out, "Do you pick the comics?" Jay responded in an easygoing fashion that if he did, not only would all his friends be on the show, but he would be setting himself up for a massive lawsuit. Jimmy jokingly told Jay that "what you are doing is wrong," and then touched on the subject of allowing comics who had appeared on late-night talk shows and on Comedy Central to appear. Jay stated that as the Executive Producer of the show, he felt that the program would be restricting itself too heavily by not allowing such comics to compete. "Why take a third out of the equation," Jay asked, "when trying to find the funniest comics around?" Thus, Jay stated, he made the decision to drop the restriction and allow others to try out as well.

Of course, this led directly to the big question of the night - what was the deal with Drew and Brett at the Paris Finals back in February? Jay starts off by mentioning that Drew cried, which surprises Jimmy. "He's a Marine. He didn't cry." Jay claims that it was true. The problem, Jay stated in a rather haphazard way thanks to Jimmy jumping in at the wrong time a couple of times, was that the judging at the show was based on "talent scouts" decision. If all four judges voted for someone, then that person made the house. Then after those were looked at, the comics that landed on at least three of the judges' cards were put up on the board.

The problem, however, came when they found there were only seven names on the board and twelve comics not being picked by the judges (Yes, this makes 19 instead of 20, but Jay does not explain on Jimmy Kimmel why it only added up to 19). Jay also makes mention that Anthony Clark only wrote four names down, which may have something to do with why only seven names made the list.

At that point, Jay continued, the producers and the NBC people came in to help decide who the other three choices were to be. Jay also made a point of stating that neither he nor his manager Barry Katz were allowed to vote or even be in the room when the voting was done.

True? Not true? I dunno, but it's plausible...

There's a link in one of the comments things on Norton's blog that gives away the winner and a few of the other newsworthy moments ... I think it was from aintitcool news or whatever that page is called.

The bottom line about this entire thing is that the integrity of the show has come into question.

The fact of the matter is that the producers were the ones who got people into the semifinals. Why have the celebrity judges when their decisions only count in the event of a unanimous decision?

And how could the producers ignore a standing fucking ovation? Fuck the demographics of the house. The idea is to find the funniest comic in America. Put the funniest ten people in there and the hell with demographics. The entire reason I watch this show is because I want to be entertained, and putting less funny people on because they don't fit a demographic takes away my entertainment value.

The bottom line about this entire thing is that the integrity of the show has come into question.

The fact of the matter is that the producers were the ones who got people into the semifinals. Why have the celebrity judges when their decisions only count in the event of a unanimous decision?

And how could the producers ignore a standing fucking ovation? Fuck the demographics of the house. The idea is to find the funniest comic in America. Put the funniest ten people in there and the hell with demographics. The entire reason I watch this show is because I want to be entertained, and putting less funny people on because they don't fit a demographic takes away my entertainment value.

The only thing I can think of is this - casting is like a job interview. You may be the best qualified candidate, you may present yourself the best at the interview, but the employers "see" something in another person, so they go with "best fit", instead of "best person available".

So in a way, that would truly be reality.

Now, I'm going over a lot of the performances in my head, and the truth of the matter is that - for me - Dan Naturman's was not all that memorable. It killed at the time, but it was one of things where I look back and I couldn't even remember what he looked like, nevermind his jokes. I'm thinking that was probably caused Tess and Anthony Clark to not put his name down to go to the house.

Dan Adhoot had a great set, but he wasn't going to make it because at the beginning of his set, he admitted that he was repeating a joke. Going back to the job interview analogy, there's things that you're just not supposed to say in an interview, and no matter what you say afterwords, you're not gonna get the job. Repeating jokes is okay in comedy, but ADMITTING that you do is a no-no.

Monty, I think, was a victim of numbers. To be honest, I thought the first batch of ten were stronger, and that all but three (the MILF, the yoga guy, and the screaming girl) had a chance to make it. So there was bound to be someone who was getting the shaft. Figured it'd be Kathleen Madigan though...

Why bother even having the judges there if the producers are just going to end up making all the decisions?

That’s like if the American Idol producers were to say to the fans that vote “we didn’t like who you voted for, so we’re just going to pick whoever we want”.

Well, they're "talent scouts", not "judges". They apparently used that designation last year as well. So "technically" (i.e. if we go by the official explanation) they'd recommend who goes to the house, but wouldn't be making the final decision.

I should probably note that I'm not disagreeing with the opinions of general hokiness of the selections, but I am trying to see both sides. And I still don't think that Naturman was deserving of going through...

Naturman had probably the best set outside of John Heffron. He got a standing ovation because he's a funny comedian, and they take the other clowns instead.

Todd Glass is a walking embarrassment, Ant wasn't funny at all, Tammy Pescatelli is horrible, but they all pale in comparison to Bonnie McFarlane getting in the house. She must have sucked someone's dick to move on. She's funnier than Ant, and that's not saying much.

Reality News Online has an interview with an audience member from the Paris finals. Interesting notes are that she was surprised that the Dans didn't make it and that Monty Hoffman's set was dead and his standing O was from his Q&A.

There's one reason as to why the producers voted as they did.

They want a reality show. Not a legit competition.

I guess a bunch of actual comedians wouldn't make for entertaining TV. I guess they'd be too much alike-- they'd actually be likeable, funny people.

Instead, they chose a bunch of diverse, stereotypical duds-- the obnoxious one always looking for attention (Glass), the gay guy (Ant), the freak (London), the loudmouth Italian (..the loudmouth Italian) and the rest (slut, nerd, the Jewish stud, etc.) Going with basic reality TV formula, they grouped all these people together to play off eachother.

Really, this is no more different than one of the other two thousand reality shows out there.

Ugh.

Imagine if the contestants on "American Idol" had have sang the SAME SONGS over and over again with the odd one being something new for the select performer, but still a bad version of a song that has been repeated many times by more talented performers.

That is this show. Minus the whole singing part.

Man, did Bonnie get killed or what? I do think that she coulda beaten Ant or Tammy, but John Heffron was ON, and I'm not sure that any of the others coulda beat him on that night...

Just thought of something, but the showdown is somewhat similar to Murder in Small Town X, isn't it?

Heffron connected with the crowd well (partially because he used subjects that were a lot easier for people to identify with such as the cell phone thing which wasn't really funny all in all), but at the same time, he was repeating his old material at some points. Out of curiosity, did Bonnie do the same? I haven't seen her sets before this.

I totally wrote off Heff for the showdown, partly because he seemed like he REALLY didn't want to do it, and partly because I would have loved to see Bonnie and Tammy bitch at each other some more.

But like CM said, these people better not fall back on the same routine every time they perform. I think that's the third time in three performances Bonnie used the anorexia and breast implant jokes. Heff brought some new stuff to the table, so he deserved to win.

And if Todd Glass doesn't wind up with a broken jaw by the time this is over, I'll be very surprised.

I totally wrote off Heff for the showdown, partly because he seemed like he REALLY didn't want to do it, and partly because I would have loved to see Bonnie and Tammy bitch at each other some more.

I think Heffron knows how to turn it on when he needs to, and that's gonna be dangerous if he allows people to think that he juuuust edged out Bonnie. He's funny, and he's "playing the game", which for this show is a dangerous combination.

But like CM said, these people better not fall back on the same routine every time they perform.  I think that's the third time in three performances Bonnie used the anorexia and breast implant jokes.  Heff brought some new stuff to the table, so he deserved to win. 

Well the thing is that for the live audience, it's new to them, so you can get away with it, even if it does annoy the home viewer. Again, Dat Phan won the competition despite only having a minimal amount of material. For the showdowns, I think it's more about connecting with your audience than repeating material. Bonnie didn't do that - which frankly isn't surprising, since half her material is based on her being a bitch - and John did, and as a result John was overwhelmingly voted to stay on.

And if Todd Glass doesn't wind up with a broken jaw by the time this is over, I'll be very surprised.

Heh, Glass jaw...

THE ANT HAS BEEN SLAIN!

BWAHAHAHA!

Not that I even minded Ant that much, but I didn't like that the weakest 4 in the house (IMO) were trying to dictate the run of the show.

Although Ant vs Gary was a pretty weak faceoff, neither were great.

Not that I even minded Ant that much, but I didn't like that the weakest 4 in the house (IMO) were trying to dictate the run of the show.

I liked seeing Ant go as well, but I disagree with the 4 weakest bit. I think Alonzo is one of the strongest in the competition. I picked him back in the semifinals to win the thing.

I liked seeing Ant go as well, but I disagree with the 4 weakest bit. I think Alonzo is one of the strongest in the competition. I picked him back in the semifinals to win the thing.

I thought that as well, but after seeing John Heffron in the head-to-head, I think that he may have the stuff to win it all.

Weakest of the bunch now I think is either Tammy or Corey. Maybe Jay as well, but his rapid-fire style makes him a wild card...

Before the last ep my ranking was

1. John

2. Corey

3. Kathline (sp)

4. Greg

5. Alonzo

6. Jay

7. Ant

8. Tammy

And Jay at #6 isn't what I think of him. I think he's great, but in a big setting might not translate well with a crowd.

And Jay at #6 isn't what I think of him. I think he's great, but in a big setting might not translate well with a crowd.

That's why I consider him a wild card. His set could be absolutely dead brilliant or it could blow chunks, and it all depends on whether the audience "gets it"

Is anyone else watching this today? It's scary how badly the comics did trying to make the kids laugh. It was 100x worse than the laundromat, I think...

Guest Prodigy

Yeah, it was pretty brutal, but I couldn't stop myself from laughing at Jay's attempt... :lol:

It's either Heff or Alonzo for me. One of the remaining two women have an outside chance.

I don't think this crowd's buying Jay's act much.

EDIT: Yep, Gary's taking this.

Edited by Kingpk

Heffron's strategy almost worked.

He's my pick to win it all.

Like Kathleen needed the immunity. NOONE is gonna willingly go heads up with Kathleen, because her stuff would connect well with the audience.

And like I said before,

His set could be absolutely dead brilliant or it could blow chunks, and it all depends on whether the audience "gets it"

and the audience DEFINITELY didn't get it. Plus Gary brought his "A" game. Much better than last week...