TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MooreMark

Last Comic Standing 2!

If Jay were up against anyone but John or Alonzo, I'd be rooting for him. However, he's up against Alonzo, and it'd be a travesty if Alonzo doesn't make it in.

Well, did any of you go into the LCS1 finals thinking that Dat Phan was the obvious winner? I doubt it, especially after he completely exposed his own lack of material by reusing jokes he had done in the head-to-heads.

I'm really REALLY happy that Alonzo made it in. I've liked him ever since I saw him at the semis when they were narrowing it down to twenty. However, he has some stiff competition in John and Gary for different reasons.

John is a funny comedian. Even if he's using material I've seen before, it's still very good material that would probably be gold to many people who haven't seen him before.

Gary, meanwhile, is like this year's Dat to me, except Gulman ALSO is good looking, or at least relatively good looking compared to the rest. Look at the similarities the two have. Both of them were targeted by alliances. Both of them survived two showdowns (though Dat's victories were far more surprising seeing as Gulman faced Ant and Jay, and Ant is rarely funny whilst Jay needs to get the audience going if his sets are to work at their best, whereas Dat faced Dave, one of the best comics in LCS1, and Geoff, who had been doing standup long before Dat). And, in my opinion, both have serious flaws in their material.

Dat, as we all know, was limited to jokes about his ethnicity. And I'll be quite honest, some of them WERE really good jokes in my opinion, but therein lies the other problem; he didn't have a lot of material to begin with. You can only do so many jokes about being Vietnamese, and Dat had run out. (He apparently has new material NOW, but it's too late, the damage is done.)

Gary, meanwhile, is like a less funny Seinfeld to me. His jokes are about things that are very minute and at some times, rather hard to emphasize with, unlike John or Alonzo who can pull that off. Oreos? Who cares? Gary Gulman: The Cookie Comic doesn't exactly seem like comedy gold to me.

I'm very much hoping that Alonzo wins it. John winning wouldn't be bad either, perhaps a little disappointing to me, but I would like it. But if Gary wins I'll be quite disappointed.

Gary, meanwhile, is like a less funny Seinfeld to me. His jokes are about things that are very minute and at some times, rather hard to emphasize with, unlike John or Alonzo who can pull that off. Oreos? Who cares? Gary Gulman: The Cookie Comic doesn't exactly seem like comedy gold to me.

I think your analysis of Gary is more or less correct. He's a good comedian, decent material, but really not on the level that John and Alonzo are on. I think that his head to head with ANT showed what he's capable of, but he's not consistent (or motivated) enough to maintain that level. So in the Triple Threat match, he's gonna be the Corey to John's John and Alonzo's Alonzo...

I wasn't really impressed with Alonzo, except for at the roast. I'd rather see Bonnie than him. Unpopular as she is, I think her sense of humor is something unique and special. Todd Glass and Jay London are the other 2 I really liked, and I could even stand Todd at first. The other comics, except for Tammy, I guess, had their moments, but don't stand out as anything different.

Alonzo remains my pick, as he has since the very first round. I think he'll win it, too, because he's got that "I KNOW I'm the best one here" air about him. Not smug, just confident.

Plus, he had another GOLD set last night, when he didn't even have to.

I think the voting shaped up like this:

Alonzo

John

Gary

Jay

Kathleen

Tammy

I was really pushing for Kathleen to win the whole thing. But I think it's a strong final 3 and should make for a good show.

And I don't know how they're going to do LCS1 vs LCS2...but the second cast will kill the first

I was really pushing for Kathleen to win the whole thing. But I think it's a strong final 3 and should make for a good show.

And I don't know how they're going to do LCS1 vs LCS2...but the second cast will kill the first

I'm thinking two rounds of head-to-heads (A1 vs B10, A2 vs B9 etc) to get to a final 5, add three wild cards, and three more rounds (8-4-2) to get a winner. That gives you about 9 weeks of comedy, I think.

In case you're not watching yet...

Yes, the first hour is a clipshow. But lucky us, we get to see the William Hungs of comedy...

(edit) ...or is that the Dat Phans of comedy?

Edited by starvenger

Alonzo: 9/10 Great material, but that purse thing doesn't work once you're engaged. So I generally hold it like a football when I sit in the Chair...

I've luckily never done time in the chair. I've been subjected to the purse hold though.

I don't sit in the Chair too often, as my fiancee is a relatively fast shopper. However, I think I'm developing a sixth sense as to when to sit down now...

Gulman gets a 6/10 from me. Good stuff with Olympics-Interviewers, but did he really just make most of his final act about fig newtons?

This is Heffron's to lose now.

Gary: 7/10

Decent set, but not very strong, and definitely not nearly as good as Alonzo. John's lucky, as Gary was like Torrie vs Sable in between title matches...