TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
St. Gabe

Real Life Heat

Guest ally mccoist
Uh. Was this ever confirmed? I always figured it was fabricated or at least exagerated. I know they had a confrontation, but thats all I heard. I remember Bret Hart mentioned the front face lock, but I figured he was just being a bitch.

Yeah, it was. Both Goldberg and Jericho have mentioned it in interviews. Not to mention Hurricane in his online commentary (called Jericho "The King of Front Facelocks", or something like that).

Fair enough. The blind Goldberg mark in me was hoping it never happened.

Trish vs Torrie. I swear they had some beef going on back in the day.

Guest madxxx
Except for the fact that Rock gets shit on anytime he's up against a face (Hogan, Austin, RVD, Brock) you might be right.

Towards the end of Rock's Wrestlemania XIX match against Austin he was cheered. Same thing with his match versus Goldberg. Though in both those cases he was playing psycho Hollywood heel Rock.

Guest MikeSC
Paul Heyman and Jim Ross?

I always heard Heyman and Ross actually got along just fine.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Trish vs Torrie. I swear they had some beef going on back in the day.

I heard that too, but never knew what the beef was or why? Did Torrie say something to her coming in?

I guess "Women are catty" wouldn't be the appropriate response. :)

-=Mike

Actually, Jericho and HHH did have heat back in '99. I remember reading somewhere that management thought Jericho was too soft in the ring. So on an episode of Smackdown Jericho got real rough with Chyna (who HHH was dating at the time). I think it was the segement when Chyna and Kat were in the back talking to Kevin Kelly about Jericho and Jericho ran up behind her and started throwing things at her face while see was on the ground. If you remember the Thanksgiving episode of Smackdown when DX brought the homeless people in one of the homeless guys asked "Can we get work?" And HHH said and I quote "YOU CAN'T WORK HERE YOUR AS BAD AS JERICHO". Keep in mind they both were heels and had nothing to do with each other on screen.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Except for the fact that Rock gets shit on anytime he's up against a face (Hogan, Austin, RVD, Brock) you might be right.

Towards the end of Rock's Wrestlemania XIX match against Austin he was cheered. Same thing with his match versus Goldberg. Though in both those cases he was playing psycho Hollywood heel Rock.

Yeah, but that was heel Rock, and Austin still had the majority of the face reaction.

-=Mike

The jury is still out, I thought. For every "no no they're buddies" I hear a "come on dude they HATE each other." Jim Ross insists that he has no beef with Heyman but that really just gives more credence to the other argument, if anything. JR can pull that kind of stuff off I guess.

Guest wildpegasus
Actually, Jericho and HHH did have heat back in '99. I remember reading somewhere that management thought Jericho was too soft in the ring. So on an episode of Smackdown Jericho got real rough with Chyna (who HHH was dating at the time). I think it was the segement when Chyna and Kat were in the back talking to Kevin Kelly about Jericho and Jericho ran up behind her and started throwing things at her face while see was on the ground. If you remember the Thanksgiving episode of Smackdown when DX brought the homeless people in one of the homeless guys asked "Can we get work?" And HHH said and I quote "YOU CAN'T WORK HERE YOUR AS BAD AS JERICHO". Keep in mind they both were heels and had nothing to do with each other on screen.

HHH pratically buried Jericho on OTR up in Canada once going on about how "Jericho was good but he's just missing that little something to be a top tier player" which is pretty ironic because the only real reason anyone is concerned about HHH is since he was shoved down everyone's throat. Just like they're doing with Orton now.

Yes, but HHH's comment is sadly very true; Jericho does lack that extra something that prevents him from being an considered an undisputed main eventer rather than someone you could find during any segment.

Guest madxxx

Yeah, but that was heel Rock, and Austin still had the majority of the face reaction.

Don't know about that, by the end of the match the crowd was cheering pretty evenly for both and Rock's kip up spot and pin on Austin got the biggest pops of the match.

Looking back, I'd even say Hollywood Rock was more of a tweener character because he tended to do things in matches clearly aimed at getting the crowd to cheer.

Yes, but HHH's comment is sadly very true; Jericho does lack that extra something that prevents him from being an considered an undisputed main eventer rather than someone you could find during any segment.

You are right about Jericho is missing something to be a top tier player......... he is missing those beloved McMahons to back him up.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

The jury is still out, I thought. For every "no no they're buddies" I hear a "come on dude they HATE each other." Jim Ross insists that he has no beef with Heyman but that really just gives more credence to the other argument, if anything. JR can pull that kind of stuff off I guess.

As Ross always points out, he did get Heyman his job in WCW. I just thought they had remarkably good chemistry in the WWF.

And I almost weeped when Jerry Lawler came back.

-=Mike

I remember seeing Paul Heyman with Jim Ross back when I was more of an ordinary mark and I didn't really like him there because I grew up with Jerry Lawler as Color guy. Plus I had no idea what ECW was back then, so I had no idea why he was there or why I should've cared about him. Now it's hard for me to see anyone other than JR and the King as the commentators on Raw. So don't question the WWE's capabilities of brainwashing the fans.

Also, I could've sworn that Jericho and HHH have heat after HHH made a "he can't work" comment that killed one of Jericho's pushes, forced him to learn WWE style, and almost cost Jericho his job in the WWE. I read it somewhere, just can't remember where.

Guest netslob

You are right about Jericho is missing something to be a top tier player......... he is missing those beloved McMahons to back him up.

and steroids, don't forget steroids.

Well, legend has it that Undertaker threatened to beat the shit out of Shawn if he didn't job the title to Austin at WrestleMania XIV.

Where did you hear that? I don't ever remember reading that, though it sounds true enough.

I remember seeing Paul Heyman with Jim Ross back when I was more of an ordinary mark and I didn't really like him there because I grew up with Jerry Lawler as Color guy. Plus I had no idea what ECW was back then, so I had no idea why he was there or why I should've cared about him. Now it's hard for me to see anyone other than JR and the King as the commentators on Raw. So don't question the WWE's capabilities of brainwashing the fans.

The Ross-Lawler team is getting tired. We need some better commentators soon.

Well, legend has it that Undertaker threatened to beat the shit out of Shawn if he didn't job the title to Austin at WrestleMania XIV.

That sounds hilarious.

Where did you hear that? I don't ever remember reading that, though it sounds true enough.

Hate to say it, but I don't remember the original source. It has been discussed here before.

This was hardly the first time the story went around, Michael Lansberg and UT talked about it on an episode of OTR a few years back.

Too bad nobody was around to threaten Taker during Brock's time.

Also, I could've sworn that Jericho and HHH have heat after HHH made a "he can't work" comment that killed one of Jericho's pushes, forced him to learn WWE style, and almost cost Jericho his job in the WWE. I read it somewhere, just can't remember where.

Jericho mentioned all of that in a 1999 commentary on his official website from what I remember.

Hell, he even said things along the lines of "Stealing Albert's (as he was known at the time before the A-Train name came about) comb" and saying that he'd be headed back to WCW in early 2000 to team up with Bobby Duncum Jr. as the new Conquistadores.

All I know is that it was a weird commentary to say the least, and he wrote it sometime after he gave Chyna a black eye on Smackdown in November.

I'm kinda spacey on this one, was there also some heat between Chris Candido and HHH/HBK? was it in any way related to shane douglas?

Hate to say it, but I don't remember the original source. It has been discussed here before.

Yes, this is true, i read it a while ago on several wrestling forums.

Kind of interesting to know that Vince didn't back up HBK over UT, seeing as HBK (like Taker) is one of Vince's boys.

Taker had big heat with Vince/HBK over the Bret screwjob and I think that carried over to when there were rumors that HBK wouldn't job to Austin at Mania...so Taker basically threatened to beat the shit out of HBK.

Taker had big heat with Vince/HBK over the Bret screwjob and I think that carried over to when there were rumors that HBK wouldn't job to Austin at Mania...so Taker basically threatened to beat the shit out of HBK.

How would Vince have reacted, at the time, between a fight between the two? Who'd have gotten Vince's support?

How would Vince have reacted, at the time, between a fight between the two? Who'd have gotten Vince's support?

Well, I'd have said Taker to be honest.

Taker was still going to be around post-Mania where as Shawn was going for surgery or whatever. So, rather than lose both I'd have thought Vince would have wanted to keep Taker sweet. Not to mention Taker's 'loyalty' and possible existing bitterness over the Kliq incident as far as Shawn went.