TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan4Ever

Star Wars Trilogy DVD Set

Here is my stance on that.

Yes, the Star Wars films are obviously his films, there is no reason to object to that, period. However, it is us the fans of said films that helped him to become very wealthy indeed. It is fine for him to tinker with, update, or do whatever he wants to the Star Wars films, it's his to screw around with.

At the same time though, I think he owes it to the fans, to all of the people who watched them when they originally came out and those of us who became fans of these films because of the original versions, to at least continue to offer the original versions. Not only on VHS, but on DVD and whatever other format we see in the future.

I'm not a HUGE Star Wars fan, I love the films, but I don't obsess over it. I just really feel that he's letting a bunch of people down by trying to forget the originals, since he isn't allowing the originals to be made available anymore.

I don't know about anyone else, but Star Wars will forever be episodes 4-6, period. The first three are nothing more to me than a novelty, I'll never take those films serious.

From www.digitalbits.com:

In all the hype over the DVD release of Star Wars, I'm afraid to say there's a bit of bad news about the discs (or at least one of them) from a quality standpoint. We've discovered what we believe are serious audio defects on Episode IV - A New Hope. We've updated our DVD review of the set accordingly with the details as follows:

[Editor's Note: since we initially wrote this review, we've detected a number of audio/mixing errors on the DVD version of A New Hope. They are as follows:

1) The familiar Force theme trumpet fanfare that used to play right after Red Leader says: "This is it!" and just as the X-wings start diving towards the Death Star's surface has been dialed back in volume so that it's almost inaudible - it's almost completely buried in the surround mix.

2) The audio quality varies wildly as Tarkin says the line: "You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system." - almost as if the master sound element was damaged. It's very distracting.

3) Possibly most critically, John Williams' entire score for the film has been flipped in the rear channels, so that what should be the left rear channel is playing from the right rear channel (and vise versa). What this means is that the rear channels don't match the front channels - instruments heard from the front right channel come from the left rear instead of the right rear. Again, this is very distracting once you notice it.

These problems are certainly severe enough in our opinion to merit a repressing/exchange of the disc. We're waiting to hear back from Lucasfilm on this issue and we'll update this review with the details as soon as we do.

And just for fun, read this firstp page of this thread. I'm not bitching, as almost none of these changes mean anything to me, but it is interesting to know exactly what changes have been made. I like little tidbits like this, just for the sake of knowing about it.

http://www.jwfan.net/index.php?name=PNphpB...=asc&highlight=

Also, just for the heck of it, here is an interview with Lucas.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._a_george_lucas

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. - George Lucas never figured on a 30-year career as a space pilot. Once "Star Wars" shot into hyperspace, though, he found it hard to come back down to Earth.

Making its DVD debut Tuesday, Lucas' original sci-fi trilogy — "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" — began as an experimental foray into old-time studio moviemaking for Lucas, whose first two films had been far removed from usual Hollywood sensibilities.

Lucas' sci-fi satire "THX 1138" had been a commercial dud, but the energetic "American Graffiti" with its driving soundtrack and multi-character point of view scored with audiences, giving the director clout to try something bigger that had been on his mind.

"I'd already started this other idea, which was to do a kind of a classic action adventure film using sets," Lucas said over lunch at his 2,600-acre Skywalker Ranch. "I'd never worked on a set, I'd never worked at a studio. Never made a traditional movie. So I said, `I'm going to do this once, just to see what it's like, what it's like to actually design everything, work on a soundstage, do an old-fashioned 1930s movie.

"And I'll do it in that mode from the 1930s Saturday matinee serials, using kind of 1930s and '40s sensibilities, and I'll base it on sort of mythological motifs and icons. I'll just put it together in a modern form, and I'll have fun. That's how I got into that. I did it because it was an interesting move into an area that I thought I'd never go into."

Three decades later, Lucas is preparing to launch the last of his six "Star Wars" films. Next summer brings "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith," completing the prequel trilogy that tells the story of young Anakin Skywalker's metamorphosis into the villainous Darth Vader of the original three films.

Fans have eagerly awaited the first three "Star Wars" films on DVD, a release Lucas initially intended to delay until he finished "Episode III."

Some will be miffed that the original theatrical versions are not included in the "Star Wars" boxed set, which features only the special-edition versions Lucas issued in the late 1990s, with added effects and footage, including a scene between Harrison Ford (news)'s Han Solo and crime lord Jabba the Hutt in the first "Star Wars."

AP: Why did you change your mind and decide to put the original three movies out on DVD now?

Lucas: Just because the market has shifted so dramatically. A lot of people are getting very worried about piracy. That has really eaten dramatically into the sales. It really just came down to, there may not be a market when I wanted to bring it out, which was like, three years from now. So rather than just sit by and watch the whole thing fall apart, better to bring it out early and get it over with.

AP: Why did you rework the original trilogy into the special-edition versions in the late 1990s?

Lucas: To me, the special edition ones are the films I wanted to make. Anybody that makes films knows the film is never finished. It's abandoned or it's ripped out of your hands, and it's thrown into the marketplace, never finished. It's a very rare experience where you find a filmmaker who says, "That's exactly what I wanted. I got everything I needed. I made it just perfect. I'm going to put it out there." And even most artists, most painters, even composers would want to come back and redo their work now. They've got a new perspective on it, they've got more resources, they have better technology, and they can fix or finish the things that were never done. ... I wanted to actually finish the film the way it was meant to be when I was originally doing it. At the beginning, people went, "Don't you like it?" I said, "Well, the film only came out to be 25 or 30 percent of what I wanted it to be." They said, "What are you talking about?" So finally, I stopped saying that, but if you read any interviews for about an eight- or nine-year period there, it was all about how disappointed I was and how unhappy I was and what a dismal experience it was. You know, it's too bad you need to get kind of half a job done and never get to finish it. So this was my chance to finish it.

AP: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?

Lucas: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be. I'm the one who has to take responsibility for it. I'm the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they're going to throw rocks at me, they're going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished.

AP: Do you pay much attention to fan reactions to your choices?

Lucas: Not really. The movies are what the movies are. ... The thing about science-fiction fans and "Star Wars" fans is they're very independent-thinking people. They all think outside the box, but they all have very strong ideas about what should happen, and they think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way.

AP: After "Episode III," will you ever revisit "Star Wars"?

Lucas: Ultimately, I'm going to probably move it into television and let other people take it. I'm sort of preserving the feature film part for what has happened and never go there again, but I can go off into various offshoots and things. You know, I've got offshoot novels, I've got offshoot comics. So it's very easy to say, "Well, OK, that's that genre, and I'll find a really talented person to take it and create it." Just like the comic books and the novels are somebody else's way of doing it. I don't mind that. Some of it might turn out to be pretty good. If I get the right people involved, it could be interesting.

Hmmmm, a Star Wars TV series could be interesting if carried out right...maybe use storylines from some of the novels...and to what he says about the original versions, he's right, pop in your VHS tapes if you want it that bad...not sure about the Anakin switch, but I'm pretty sure I will survive just fine with the changes he's made...

Lucas: To me, the special edition ones are the films I wanted to make. Anybody that makes films knows the film is never finished. It's abandoned or it's ripped out of your hands, and it's thrown into the marketplace, never finished. It's a very rare experience where you find a filmmaker who says, "That's exactly what I wanted. I got everything I needed. I made it just perfect. I'm going to put it out there." And even most artists, most painters, even composers would want to come back and redo their work now. They've got a new perspective on it, they've got more resources, they have better technology, and they can fix or finish the things that were never done. ... I wanted to actually finish the film the way it was meant to be when I was originally doing it. At the beginning, people went, "Don't you like it?" I said, "Well, the film only came out to be 25 or 30 percent of what I wanted it to be." They said, "What are you talking about?" So finally, I stopped saying that, but if you read any interviews for about an eight- or nine-year period there, it was all about how disappointed I was and how unhappy I was and what a dismal experience it was. You know, it's too bad you need to get kind of half a job done and never get to finish it. So this was my chance to finish it.

Seeing as Star Wars is essentially an indy franchise, owned lock, stock and barrel by Lucas, is Lucas blaming... Lucas for the Trilogy not being as good as it could be?

Hmmmm, a Star Wars TV series could be interesting if carried out right...maybe use storylines from some of the novels...and to what he says about the original versions, he's right, pop in your VHS tapes if you want it that bad...not sure about the Anakin switch, but I'm pretty sure I will survive just fine with the changes he's made...

The Thrawn novels would rock on the small screen.

Well, I have the set now. I feel like such a nerd also, standing at Wal-Mart with all of those other guys just waiting for them to roll this item out.

Got mine, too. After watching Monday Night Football, me and some buddies headed over to Wal-Mart. We were the only ones in the DVD department. I picked up the set ($42, fyi) and my friend picked up the Mean Girls DVD. He felt sorta dumb asking the guy for it since it wasn't on the shelves, but I guess his obsession with her over ruled that. Can't wait to break into this bad boy tomorrow, though. Wish I could tonight, but lousy school stands in the way.

Guest ArchoanJB

Going to go grab it in a few minutes before I head over to school. I think I'm going to pick up the Wrestling Gold set too.

Ran out to Maijer's last night and picked up the Widescreen version for about $42 at 12:30 AM.

And really, not because I wanted to start watching it last night (well, I did want to, but I have this thing called work at 7am) but because running out on my lunch break is a huge pain in the rear end.

TheForce.net says the audio flipping was intentional.

Lucasfilm Addresses DVD Sound Issues

Mon, Sep 20, 04 08:23:05 PM EDT

Yesterday, Neil Bulk first reported to us he felt the film score rear channels were reversed on his new copy of the Star Wars Episode IV DVD. He said he double-checked his wiring but was sure the effects where right, but the music was reversed. Today, Thedigitalbits.com reported in detail about this, also saying the rear film score channels were reversed. Prior to publishing this, we asked Lucasfilm for a statement on it. We just received it:

We are always impressed with how closely fans listen to the many different sound mixes we have made for the Star Wars movies over the years. It is flattering to know that, indeed, the audience is listening. Consequently, each mix comes out differently and any changes that you hear on the all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX tracks on the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set are deliberate creative decisions. We can confirm that there are no technical glitches as has been reported.

If the channels are indeed reversed, this is a very curious creative decision. As everybody heads out starting tonight to get their DVDs, it remains to be seen if they agree with these particular creative decisions or not. We're anxious to hear from readers when you do get a chance to check it out in your own homes.

I'm about 60 minutes away from going down to FYE to pick it up (they have it with a 15 dollar rebate so after rebate it's 34.99) I'm so psyched, been watching "From Star Wars to Jedi" too bad they didn't put that on the disc (along with the cool 78 TV doc)

We are always impressed with how closely fans listen to the many different sound mixes we have made for the Star Wars movies over the years. It is flattering to know that, indeed, the audience is listening. Consequently, each mix comes out differently and any changes that you hear on the all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX tracks on the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set are deliberate creative decisions. We can confirm that there are no technical glitches as has been reported.

If the channels are indeed reversed, this is a very curious creative decision. As everybody heads out starting tonight to get their DVDs, it remains to be seen if they agree with these particular creative decisions or not. We're anxious to hear from readers when you do get a chance to check it out in your own homes.

So it seems that without actually saying it (because Heaven forbid that Lucasfilm was wrong about something) they seem willing to change the mix if enough people piss and moan about it.

Guest El Satanico

I don't see anything that even hints at them being willing to change it if people complain. Their stance is clearly "that's how we did it, so enjoy or bitch, but it's not a glitch".

I'm going by words like "curious creative decision", which sounds like they were expecting a new mix, but they weren't expecting reversed channels.

And if I'm wrong... well, it's not like that hasn't happened before.

Guest El Satanico

I believe that was commentary about the comments from the person posting the article.

I went to Best Buy today for unrelated reasons and they were all over this thing, complete with big display in the middle of the media section, and the soundtrack blasting over the music section. I was almost sucked into buying then and there... I mean, it IS Star Wars...

But, I'd still like to hear opinions on the changes in the movie (both appearance and soundwise) before buying it. For the most part I was allright with the SE versions of the movie, except for Greedo shooting first and the different song at the end of ROTJ, but it's rather annoying that ol' George keeps wanting to tinker around with these movies and supposedly releasing newly tinkered versions just because he's not happy with the older tinkered versions.

There's a pretty cool DVD-ROM feature, well it's just script-to-screen, but it's the 4th draft so there's little differences between the script and the final film. They'll be updating content to do the same for Empire and Jedi, plus text trivia.

Now if he just posts those deleted scenes (like Luke and Biggs on Tatooine)...

I, for one, will not go anywhere near the DVDs. Anakin smiling at Luke at the end of ROTJ is my all-time favorite moment from a movie; it's not 'cool' or anything, there's just something about it that's special to me, and I get chills every time I watch it. Now Lucas has replaced it with Hayden's creepy leer.

And this is only the worst of the many horrible changes he is made. Han shooting Greedo was a hilarious moment that really defined Han's character - now it's simply another mindless action scene. Luke falling off the platform in Cloud City was awesome, until Lucas added the scream. The impact is gone. And the beak and tentacles in the sarlaac pit are unbelievably stupid-looking and unmenacing. Oh, and let's not forget 'Jedi Rocks.'

You know what, George? Fuck you. I hope you don't make a penny from this.

I, for one, will not go anywhere near the DVDs. Anakin smiling at Luke at the end of ROTJ is my all-time favorite moment from a movie; it's not 'cool' or anything, there's just something about it that's special to me, and I get chills every time I watch it. Now Lucas has replaced it with Hayden's creepy leer.

And this is only the worst of the many horrible changes he is made. Han shooting Greedo was a hilarious moment that really defined Han's character - now it's simply another mindless action scene. Luke falling off the platform in Cloud City was awesome, until Lucas added the scream. The impact is gone. And the beak and tentacles in the sarlaac pit are unbelievably stupid-looking and unmenacing. Oh, and let's not forget 'Jedi Rocks.'

You know what, George? Fuck you. I hope you don't make a penny from this.

Guest El Satanico

Luke's scream was removed for this DVD. Also the Han/Greedo incident has been cleaned up and looks more natural and the shots are closer together.

This is all based on the Digitalbits.com review from the previous thread.

Now if he just posts those deleted scenes (like Luke and Biggs on Tatooine)...

The only place I've ever seen them is on that Star Wars: Movie Magic CD-ROM they released when the SEs came out.

The scenes with Luke and the spiderdroid at the homestead were unfinished and pretty much unusable. The one with Biggs was fine.

Got it yesterday of course, watched all 3 movies last night and I am more than happy with my purchase, which I knew I would be...the only bad thing really is the Hayden/Sebastian Shaw switch at the end of ROTJ. It's not horrible that it's Hayden, it just looks really cheesy the way they produced it, if that makes sense...the picture quality is fantastic, way better than the Indiana Jones DVDs and the sound isn't the BEST but it's still good...for the record the Asteroid Chase music from ESB is the best from all 5 movies...one thing is for sure, that "preview" for Episode 3 has really gotten me hyped up for it, if anything to at least see the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel...

Ok, I know I am revealing my true inner geek here, but if anyone else has watched the "Return of Darth Vader" featurette... did you get goosebumps seeing Hayden puton the suit and walk up those stairs into a filming scene?

not so much that, i got goose bumps from seeing Hayden and Ewan battle it out on the blue screens, they did a good job of making Hayden look evil, IMO...got me real pumped for Episode 3, if only for that fight scene...