TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7

Surfing through WWE.com, I noticed they already had a schedule for the month of October up. I wasn't even aware a TV deal was finalized, but it says "Demand it from your cable operator now". It sounds pretty interesting, too.

sched.gif

Program Descriptions:

WWE Hall of Fame

An original monthly series hosted by Gene Okerlund celebrating the remarkable career of a featured Hall of Fame inductee. The comprehensive journey highlights the classic shows, matches, and moments that made a legend of that month's Hall of Famer.

Monday Night War

WWE 24/7 relives the week-by-week WAR waged between Turner and WWE, with exclusive retrospective commentary and insight interspersed among Raw and Nitro's best battles – a back-story to wrestling's backbone. Each episode presents Monday Night Raw and Monday Nitro in their entirety, with compelling insight by host Michael Cole.

Extreme Championship Wrestling

WWE Superstar and insider Tazz hosts a new documentary-style history of ECW, tracking the exciting evolution of ECW's mission to bring "Hardcore" back to the ring.

Prime Time

Every fan's dream-come-true, classic WWE shows originally airing during primetime hours are presented in their entirety. Requested through WWE fan mail and email, the series begins with the origin of Tuesday Night Titans, hosted by Vince McMahon, along with Primetime Wrestling, hosted by the legendary Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan.

Old School

Old School steps back into yesteryear with a nostalgic look at huge classic wrestling events from historic venues, including Boston Garden and Madison Square Garden.

Buried Treasures

Fans will feel like they've found a gold mine with special, rarely-seen programming from the depths of WWE's collection. Word-of-mouth is high on these weekly gems.

The Big Ones

Classic Pay-Per-View events from WWE, NWA, WCW, ECW and AWA are shown in their first major encore airing. These events highlight our biggest stars, bar none.

Specials

WWE 24/7 spotlights the very best of the WWE's narrative, retrospective and thematic programming originally and exclusively created for network or video release. The action starts with shows including Undertaker: He Buries Them Alive and WrestleMania's Greatest Matches.

This all sounds pretty neat, especially the Monday Night Wars episodes.

Damn that looks like a pretty good line-up. ECW has its own special slot, PPV slot, the Hall of Famer slot is very nice to see. Old school slot cool, and I like this month's buried treasure in AWA 70's. :)

I'm personally still hazy on whether this is a free video-on-demand channel, video-on-demand where you have to pay for each selection or PPV showings.

I'd gladly pay a monthly fee for this.

Hopefully the channel will eventually accept advertising and become free to digital cable/satellite subscribers.

Strange that they announce a lineup but not where/when/how this is available

Looks damn sweet if this is how it turns out

Monday Night War

WWE 24/7 relives the week-by-week WAR waged between Turner and WWE, with exclusive retrospective commentary and insight interspersed among Raw and Nitro's best battles – a back-story to wrestling's backbone. Each episode presents Monday Night Raw and Monday Nitro in their entirety, with compelling insight by host Michael Cole.

That might be fine and dandy when they're both only an hour long, but what about when they starting hitting the multi-hour episodes. Some cuts are going to have to be made (Nitro girls, I'm looking in your direction)

My god. If DirectTV isn't carrying it I will fucking scream. This looks so good.

Eventually.

World Wrestling Entertainment has unveiled a major initiative that will utilize its vast programming library to build a host of new mutually beneficial businesses with its cable, satellite and other worldwide television partners.

They need to make a broadcast variant. DTV doesn't have access to that VOD shit where you can pretend to drive a Tivo over your cable line.

My god. If DirectTV isn't carrying it I will fucking scream. This looks so good.

Eventually.

World Wrestling Entertainment has unveiled a major initiative that will utilize its vast programming library to build a host of new mutually beneficial businesses with its cable, satellite and other worldwide television partners.

They need to make a broadcast variant. DTV doesn't have access to that VOD shit where you can pretend to drive a Tivo over your cable line.

Well, I saw ads for DirectTV that had something to do with TiVo-ish stuff, so maybe there's hope yet.

Guest curry_man2002

If you dude in the states get this for free you have got the best channel in the world bar none

Here's some 24/7 information from Byte This - recap courtesy of The Torch:

In-studio guest, Tom Barrecca, joins the show to talk about WWE 24/7.

Tom explains that WWE 24/7, which if anyone doesn’t know by now, is a subscription video on demand available through your cable operator. For an undisclosed amount per month, you get access to about 20 hours of programming. They will show 4 or 5 hours of new stuff every week (or that’s what I think he said).

Marc mentions spotlight shows on WWE hall of famers will be shown, as well as stuff from AWA and ECW. Tom mentions they will show stuff from the McMahon’s personal library. Also, great PPV matches, unseen matches and such.

(They show a video momentarily of King Kong Bundy and Capt Louis Albano, both in costume, having a pie eating contest, while Hogan (as a gladiator), Iron Sheik (as Batboy), Gene Okerlund (as Dracula) and a few others watch on).

Josh mentions stuff like that is what will be shown on 24/7 and how it will be good for fans like Byte This who watch everything and also new fans who can catch up on old stuff. Tom says the long time fans are going to share all this with their kids. Marc says now people can show their kids the wrestlers they grew up on instead of talking about them.

Tom brings up the ECW material which will be hosted by Tazz. Also, they will be showing a series of matches that will recreate the Monday Night Wars. Specifically, they will show what matches were going on at the same time on both RAW and Nitro. Tom says they will be shown back to back and there will be commentary in the beginning, in-between and at the end explaining what was going on during those matches.

Every month will have a theme. The first month will be October and it will be a “Halloween/Monster” theme.

Josh asks if this is strictly cable or available through satellite as well. Tom says for now it’s just for cable.

Marc asks besides Tazz, who else will be hosting shows. Tom says J.R, Gene Okerlund, some old stars will be coming back to talk about their matches, current stars will be talking about their influences.

Marc mentions how not only will fans be able to see the matches, but they will be seeing it from a different perspective. Tom mentions about March being black history month, so they will focus on African-American wrestlers like JYD, Bob Brazil, and Ernie Ladd etc.

Tom doesn’t give a specific date, but mentions that it will start in October, and you will be able to see bits and pieces of it on regular WWE programming as well as check out WWE.com for more information.

Caller… He has Digital cable and was wondering if he will be able to get it? Tom says yeah, he should be able to.

Josh asks if he wanted to watch a specific match, for example a match from Wrestlemania 3, would he able to. Tom said yes, he would. He mentions that around Wrestlemania 21, they will be a retrospective on past WM’s with superstars talking about their favorite memories etc.

Josh asks about original programming on 24/7. Tom says they are going to be doing magazine pieces, look-back stuff, and a behind the scenes look at current stars.

Josh mentions how it can be a pre-game for RAW and Smackdown. Marc mentions how you can compare old stars to current stars like how would JYD match up with Billy Kidman etc.

Tom mentions how some matches which have only been seen once on WWE TV will be shown again with different packaging, music, hosts etc.

Caller… who had technical difficulties but I think he asked if classic WWE programming would be shown to which Tom said yes, “even going back to WWWE or F at the time.”

Josh mentions how people are excited about this new service. Marc said the current stars are itching to get this too so they can compare themselves to the old stars.

Josh again asks if people can pick what they want to watch, for example, choose between No Mercy and Wrestlemania. Tom says they have categories, like Buried Treasures which will be stuff that people didn’t know they have. Other categories would be Monday Night Wars, which they talked about earlier, History of ECW, and other specials.

Comcast cable in Maryland better offer this. I'm still hazy on how it works though (is each "program" its own fee, will it air on a schedule on a pay channel, or will it all be categorized for viewing with On Demand for a flat fee?) Anyway, I think I'll be wasting a lot of time watching old wrestling (more so than usual, I guess) once this hits.

I have digital cable through Adelphia, but it's real shitty, we don't even get the HBO on Demand stuff, just the regular channels, so I don't like my chances of being able to see this. It does sound great though, but I fear the effect it's gonna have on the tape trading circles.

Guest Evolution
Also, they will be showing a series of matches that will recreate the Monday Night Wars. Specifically, they will show what matches were going on at the same time on both RAW and Nitro. Tom says they will be shown back to back and there will be commentary in the beginning, in-between and at the end explaining what was going on during those matches.

I personally think this is one of the coolest features of 24/7, if they do it right.

The way I understand it, it sounds like they're going to be explaining what was going on at Raw during a Nitro match and vice-versa.

"As this match was going on, the Nitro announcers were giving away the result of Raw's main event," etc.

I'm not getting digital cable anytime soon (I pay enough as it is for regular cable and my cable modem), so I'm looking at fellow tape traders on here in future time. :)

Well I'm pretty sure Time Warner Digital will be getting it, I'll have to call them up and find out what they know.

We're just one small step away from WWE Slam TV (24hr cable channel)

(They show a video momentarily of King Kong Bundy and Capt Louis Albano, both in costume, having a pie eating contest, while Hogan (as a gladiator), Iron Sheik (as Batboy), Gene Okerlund (as Dracula) and a few others watch on).

Josh mentions stuff like that is what will be shown on 24/7...

LOL, what a way to sell it to the people.

This looks pretty sweet.

I just sent my cable provider an email asking if they were going to be adding this to their OnDemand offerings. I would like to think that the WWE would make the effort to get this to the city that is home to their developmental territory, but that might be stretching logic.

Guest The Decadent Slacker

As I'm not optimistic (Adelphia in a small market), will this channel hurt the quality of DVD releases, do you think? As far as matches & so on.