TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

Guest Ice Classic V.2

What's the reasoning for Raw leaving USA the first time?

Did their contract run out and USA weren't intrested in picking them up again?

Was TNN throwing out more money at the time?

What's the reasoning for Raw leaving USA the first time?

Did their contract run out and USA weren't intrested in picking them up again?

Was TNN throwing out more money at the time?

I think it was a more money thing, USA didnt want to lose them. Plus Vince hated having to be preempted for the dog show and tennis every year.

someone has to know more than me though.

IIRC there was all kinds of talk of the WWF brand on all of the Viacom networks and media outlets. Not just wrestling, but WWF developed sitcom type shows, wrestlers on current shows, as well as reality shows (I think when Cena first started with the comapny it was on some reality show called "Manhunter"). WWF was also trying to push WWF New York and Smackdown! records was on the horizon.

USA ended up pulling out of the negotiations because they could not match the kind of deal that Viacom was offering and TNN ended up winning by default.

My memory can be spotty and this may be wrong, feel free to correct.

The primary reason WWE moved to USA is that Vince wanted the same kind of deal with Spike that he got the first time, even though ratings and business was way down. Vince wouldn't budge, so Spike told Vince not to let the door hit him on the ass on the way out.

Despite the money involved I think going to TNN was a big mistake. I just took a look at the ratings and from Aug. 21 to 28 in 2000 they went from a 6.2 to a 4.9...all due to the move to TNN. They flirted with 5.7 at most on TNN but for the most part after the move they never got near a 6.0 again and certainly nowhere near a 7.0.

I also think USA helped behind the scenes more than people think. Mind you, I'm not sure exactly how but it seemed like WWE was held more accountable on USA.

What was the "original plan"? Why was everything changed around, if that's really the case?

The original plan was to keep WCW as a totally separate entity, and build to inter-promotional matches somewhere down the line.

Was there ever really an original plan though...I figured from watching the Invasion that there was no chance of WCW being separate from WWF/E. One, they had very nearly put Vince out of biz. Two, if WCW somehow started to match or exceed the popularity of WWF/E Vince would never have tolerated it.

They definitely had plans for a seperate WCW before the whole Invasion mess got under way. Couldn't get TV for it though. WCW was damaged goods.

Not that they had many WCW stars to launch it with! Booker T, DDP, and...and...

I was watching some old stuff on In Demand yesterday, have a question for you guys...

I was watching an MSG show during Ricky Steamboat's short 91 WWF run as "The Dragon"...not once do the announcers address him as Ricky Steamboat nor do they mention anything at all about his previous WWF run...he was wrestling Smash, and while they mentioned Smash's 3 tag team championship's, they didn't once mention Steamboat's IC title reign...in fact, they kept referring to him as one of the fresh, exciting young stars new to the WWF...were they just being stupid on this particular day or did they always refer to him in this matter during that failed 91 run? I mean the guy was maineventing the NWA and was their champ a couple of times and was an upper midcarder during his first WWF run and they just blew all that stuff off...were they acting like he never existed prior to 91 or what?

Guest MikeSC

I seem to remember them trying to COMPLETELY re-package him and remove all mentions of his ring name or his career.

It was one of their dumber ideas.

Guest MikeSC

Quick question:

Were the ANY plans in 1984 for a Backlund v Hogan program? It seemed like a natural, with Backlund easily able to turn heel because Skaaland "cost" him the World Title.

I seem to remember them trying to COMPLETELY re-package him and remove all mentions of his ring name or his career.

It was one of their dumber ideas.

I assumed this was continued punishment for Steamboat asking for time off for the birth of his son in 1987, and also for going to the NWA in 1989. Fortunately, they didn't kill his career like they killed those of guys like Terry Taylor.

It was at this moment, actually, that I realized exactly how stupid the WWF considered their fanbase to be.

Quick question:

Were the ANY plans in 1984 for a Backlund v Hogan program? It seemed like a natural, with Backlund easily able to turn heel because Skaaland "cost" him the World Title.

Vince wanted to, but Backlund refused and ended up leaving the company as a result.

Quick question:

Vince wanted to, but Backlund refused and ended up leaving the company as a result.

Vince wanted Backlund to dye his hair black and turn heel for a feud with Hogan. Backlund refused, and Vince fired Backlund.

Guest MikeSC

I always assumed it was because Gorilla couldn't be fired. Like how Roddy Piper kept referring to Saba Simba as "Tony Atlas" and mentioning (accurately) how idiotic he looked.

Yeah I recall on Summerslam 91 Piper and Gorilla mainly referred to him as Steamboat. It was one of the weirdest repackaging ideas I've ever seen: Repackaging the guy without actually REPACKAGING him. I mean, he had been The Dragon for a long time anyway, it's like they just dropped his name and called him the nickname. That worked wonders for WCW in 2000 (The Franchise, The Total Package).

What's wild is that I had actually seen that Smash match before! I think it was on some odd Coliseum tape back in the day. I remembered the match to this day due to Smash getting the sleeper on Steamboat, the ref raises his hand 3 times, Steamboat is OUT, yet he got a 4th arm raise (???!!!) and held it up that time. What in the hell was that?

Guest MikeSC

The REALLY odd thing was that when he went to WCW --- they kept that idiotic fire-breathing crap.

Guest MikeSC

I could've sworn they did for a while. They eventually retired it, but I am almost positive they kept it for a while.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool
The REALLY odd thing was that when he went to WCW --- they kept that idiotic fire-breathing crap.

Did they? It couldn't have been very long, could it? I ever don't remember seeing that when he was in WCW in the eary 90s.

I have at least one WCW jobber squash with steamboat doing the fire gimmick... Commentator Hayes says its Ricky's return

Basically Steamboat kept that gimmick for the rest of his career in some form. Hell, take a look at the box for Spring Stampede 94, it's him in his goofy Dragon gear.

I never opposed the fire breathing and all that, what I hated was them trying to forget he was Ricky Steamboat. It's really a shame they misused him so bad in 91 since he would have been brilliant in the coming years there. He could feud with Flair again in the WWF this time, there were title matches with Bret he could have had, Savage was still around, he could have schooled the up and coming Shawn. It really blows the mind how bad they fucked that one up.

That WWF Radio that was at RR94...was that picked up by actual stations around the country? How did that work?

Have ref bumps always been around in the WWF? If not, when did they start?

Guest Fook

There's been ref bumps since before I started watching. For example, there was one during Savage/Steamboat at WM3.

They've probably used ref bumps for a long, long time but they were never as frequent as they are today.

Basically Steamboat kept that gimmick for the rest of his career in some form.  Hell, take a look at the box for Spring Stampede 94, it's him in his goofy Dragon gear.

I never opposed the fire breathing and all that, what I hated was them trying to forget he was Ricky Steamboat.  It's really a shame they misused him so bad in 91 since he would have been brilliant in the coming years there.  He could feud with Flair again in the WWF this time, there were title matches with Bret he could have had, Savage was still around, he could have schooled the up and coming Shawn.  It really blows the mind how bad they fucked that one up.

I know I have that video and hee came out with the dragon wings one and did the fire-breathing then too.