TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

The Sports Confessional

Forgive me sports father for I have sports sinned.

I like Stephen A. Smith and Bill Walton.

I like productive outs and bunting.

I like the BCS, and don't like the idea of a playoff.

I, too, like Stephen A. Smith.

I still like the Chicago Bulls.

Despite growing up in a Cubs-obsessed family, my favorite team always has been the White Sox.

More to come later when I remember.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I don't like going to football games live. It's the only sport that I can't stand being in the stands for. It's too fast and I can't keep up with it like on tv.

I turn down free tickets to Ohio State football games at least three times a year because of that and how much a pain in the ass getting to and from the game is. I only breakdown and go if it's a colossally huge game and the off chance for OSU/Michigan.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I live in Indiana and find College Basketball to be dreadfully uninteresting. Even March Madness.

I love hearing Bill Walton during games.

I like .... Brent Musberger. I know everyone hates this guy, I don't know, he always seems genuinely excited about each game.

Despite being a Cincinnati resident and Bengals fan, I somehow always want the Steelers to win whatever game they are in if I'm watching it.

I can't stand the legend that is Pat Summerall. Maybe he was better in his younger days, but wow. And I hated his US Open tennis broadcasts.

I only have one sports thing that I'm ashamed of ...

I used to be a New Jersey Devils fan.

I have no shame in anything else that I like or dislike.

Guest acnx

I too like the BCS. I think a playoff system would only hurt College Football.

Despite being a huge Red Wing fan, I was rooting for the Avs to win the cup, so Bourque could lift it. Well, I also hate the Devils just as much as the Avs, because of 1995...fucking Devils.

College Basketball bores me to death. I don't see what's so great about March Madness...

And I am also a fan of Stephen A. Smith. He makes me giggle. :wub:

I'm Canadian and hockey isn't my favourite sport.

I used to like the Toronto Maple Leafs (I live in Ottawa).

I'm a Buffalo Bills fan, yet have a Dallas Cowboys sweatshirt, and a History of the Cowboys DVD (thanks to pranksters acting as gift-givers).

I used to like the idea of a salary cap, in any sport.

I used to think Joe Theismann was a good football color commentator.

I'm starting to think Michael Irvin is the best reason to watch Sunday NFL Countdown.

-I can't stand hockey, it's boring to me.

-I watch Golf any chance I get.

-I would do it with Linda Cohn.....(that one is bad)

-I root for Oklahoma State to win anytime they aren't playing OU.

-I want Notre Dame to win more national titles....lots more(i guess that's a bad thing b/c so many people hate the Irish)

-I play Rugby but most of the time I can't watch it on TV b/c I get bored.

Despite loving sports and reading the sports section front to back and watching Sportscenter as often as possible...

- I don't like watching hockey on television

- I think college football is a huge waste of time

- I think if the NCAA had their way, their players would be treated like indentured servants.

- I think basketball is boring, makes no sense and the level of play is the lowest it has been since the Bulls were good

- and finally... even though I don't think of them as sports, I watch gymnastics and ice skating every olympics.

Guest Vitamin X

I cried when Elway and the Broncos beat the Pack in Super Bowl XXXII. I had a damn near nervous breakdown the moment I saw Chmura drop the 4th down pass as Favre was trying to make a comeback down the field. I've hated John Elway ever since then.

When T.O. made the last second catch in the playoffs the year after, it might have possibly been even worse considering the time period in between these two heartbreaking moments was probably the worst year of my life personally. After I saw that catch, I stood there bewildered at the TV, and I turned it off, but I couldn't stop staring at the TV. It was like I was completely confused. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Grew up a Bulls fan...am still a Bulls fan...but now am a Mavericks fan...

Cannot pay attention to Golf at all...

Always seem to watch Womens College Volleyball when it comes on TV...

Am Also a White Sox and Cubs fan....which is inexcusable anyway you slice it.

Is saying you hate a sport really a confession? It's impossible to like every sport out there even the major ones.

Anyways beyond some memorable meltdowns when I was younger after losses by my beloved A's or 49ers I guess a confession would be missing out on my only chance to go to a World Series. My father and I attended Game 3 of the 1989 World Series...yes the earthquake game. I was so traumatized by what happened that I absolutely refused to go to the game when the series continued ten days later and thus missed out on the A's destroying the Giants. Don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity to go to a World Series game again.

Here's one for me.

I was a huge 49ers fan as a kid b/c well that was what my mom did to me since I was a baby. Dressed me in 49ers garb and I just naturally grew to like them. I still hold a soft spot in my heart for the 49ers and quietly root for them against everyone in hopes that they make it to the top again one day.

Now I was young and stupid and liked the 49ers. There's nothing stupid about that right? No of course not.

But because I was young I did something stupid. With my 49ers unavailable I rooted for the Bills in all 4 of their Super Bowls.....not only that but I talked trash to the Cowboys fans at school and made 5 dollar bets(that's a lot when you're in the 6th grade!) that the Bills were going to whip some major ass.

So young.....so foolish.

Always seem to watch Womens College Volleyball when it comes on TV...

...and this is BAD? ;)

Anyway -

--I was born in Hawaii, so therefore I chose a few front-runner tems to support. Thankfully, I haven't jumped off their bandwagon after a few years of mediocrity, but since the Braves have stayed the most consistent, I chose it for my TSM membername (Braves, 49ers, Bulls, LA Kings).

--I cheered for the Yankees during the 2001 World Series, just because they looked to be the underdog after games 1 and 2. After the D-Backs lost Game 5, I had a severe change of heart after seeing the look on Brenly's face for sticking BYK into Yankee Stadium for the second consecutive game and getting burned.

--More to come, I'm sure.

When I was in 6th grade, the Redskins were on their superbowl march. I believe it this particular day they were playing the Falcons in the playoffs. It was the one where MC Hammer was there at RFK, and Deion was getting a lot of press as well. Anyways, at this particular time I was trying to raise money to go to the "End of Elementary School Science Camp Trip" So I had a satchel of beef jerkey to sell, provided from one of those cheesy companies that comes to your school. Anyways, me and a friend of mine decided to spend our day walking through the neighborhood trying to sell beef jerkey instead of watching the game, and I missed out on the 'Skins laying down an asskicking on the Falcons. My dad was bewildered at my choice, lol. I must have started a curse, because now that the 'Skins have my undivided attention on Sundays, they are hardly worth watching :(

Also, being an out of town fan(meaning my favorite team is not the hometeam) I have to spend my Sunday's in sportsbars. One of the most embarrasing things I do, which I never like to mention is after I have some beer in me, when the QB drops back and I anticipate a big play, I start to raise my arms in the air, like the completion was already made or something...lol. I truly look like a tool.

Guest Dynamite Kido
I cried when the Pirates lost to the Braves in '92...

So did I.........and I still follow them.

I live in (near) Detroit... AND I CANT STAND THE FUCKING RED WINGS!!! DIE RED WINGS DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously I hope hockey never comes back, and if it does i hope the whole town stays in Pistons-fever mode and never goes to a Red Wing game again.

DIE!!!