TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Moments you never saw coming

What are some memorable moments that made you do a double take and say "Never saw it coming"?

Piper at Mania XIX.

Scott Hall to WCW back in 1996

Not so much so, but somewhat to Paul Bearer's return at Mania XX.

Piper being the special ref at Mania X, that was a mark out moment. Also Piper returning at Mania XIX

RVD and Dreamer i think attacking Jericho and Kane in a Tag match back during the begining of the Invasion.

Piper at WM XIX.

Hogan joining the nWo in 1996.

The (brief) return of ECW in 2001 (during the invasion).

Rock coming back to help Eugene versus Coach and Cade last year.

In the last few years, most definitely Piper appearing at Wrestlemania XIX. It was the one thing that I hadn't seen even alluded to on the internet in the days leading up to the event.

Now then, in my pre-internet days, Piper as the guest referee at Wrestlemania X was nuts, as was the Ultimate Warrior appearing at Wrestlemania VIII. Shane McMahon appearing at No Way Out 2000 was highly unexpected also.

As far as minor stuff goes, the Honky Tonk Man at the 2001 Royal Rumble was a pleasant surprise.

So far as moments as opposed to events, Eddie Guererro coming to the ring after Benoit won the World Title last year at Wrestlemania XX was insane. Nothing I've seen since and only one thing before that has had the same raw emotion involved. Only the Savage/Elizabeth reunion at Wrestlemania VII trumps it.

The return of Warrior at Wrestlemania VIII.

Hulk Hogan turning heel at Bash at the Beach 1996.

The screw-job at Survivor Series 1997.

The Rock turning heel at Survivor Series 1998.

Roddy Piper at Wrestlemania XIX.

I dunno if it was because I was so young at the time, but the initial UT face turn, where he stopped a valet from getting blasted by a chair as she came through the curtain. That shocked me.

The Mega Powers exploding on Saturday Nights Main event gave me one of those "nooo, you guys are the best ever, don't fight" feelings, when I was a kid.

Guest LooneyTune

All the good ones have been mentioned, so I'll just say mine...

Hogan turning heel at BATB 96.

Austin turning heel at WM X-7

Bischoff debut and hugging VINCE.

The Savage snake bite angle in 91. Suprised the hell out me, because stuff like that didn't happen on WWF TV back then, I was just waiting for someone to make the save, but it never came

-Rock Heel Turn at Survivor Series '98

-Austin getting help from Vince to defeat The Rock at WM X-7

-Eddie Guerrero's return to the WWE

-Jericho getting that pin on HHH for the Title (Before the decision was reversed)

-Piper at WM XIX

Hogan 96 was pretty shocking. I always thought it was going to be Sid whoe was the thrid man (since he had dissapeared from wwf tv fro awhile) actually i didnt see the ppv and didnt have net access then so I had to wait for nitro for the result. actually a short whole before nitro began, I thought to myself "what if it was hogan?" for some reason (guess cuz he was mr wwf for years)

halls debut earlier wasnt that shocking to me as I had read in one of the apter mags that hall and nash would be leaving for wcw soon.

Piper at wm 19 I ahould have seen coming but it still surprised me at the moment since I wasnt even thingking about a run in during the match. Rock in 98 I didnt see coming cuz I figured he was becoming a face (he was basically a tweener leaning face for two months) and sinc ehe was over with the crowd why would they turn him (in retrospect it was a good move cuz it made the audience like him even more as time went on and when he finally left the corporation he was mega over)

but there were clues like mcmahon not really enjoying the company of mankind

I was kinda shocked by the rockers breakup (they hug and raise their arms, then BAM SHAWN SUPERKICKS MARTY then throws him through the window of the barber shop) I so marked out when marty made his suprise return in late 92

warrior at wm 8 was awesome to me at the time. and takers face turn seemed to come out of left field (actually so did his heel turn in late 01)

austin turning heel again at invasion was a little surprising but I guess it shouldnt have been

Tazz vs. Bigalow-DDT attempt ends with massive hole in ring

Hmmm:

Scott Hall showing up on Nitro in 1996

Bobby Heenan showing up at X-7

The ECW reunion

Bischoff showing up

Rock showing up to save Foley from La Res that one time- I lost it

Evolution turning on Orton

Guest LooneyTune
Lesnar/Big Show ring collapse.

I think WWE playing the replay of that over and over for 3 weeks kinda killed the impact. IMO, it was more of a "Holy Shit" bump, like Foley taking a dive off the HIAC onto a table than a "What the hell is going on?!".

Bischoff being the MC of the Billy/Chuck wedding.

Benoit making HHH tap at Wrestlemania.

There is something else I cannot think of...oh

Most important:

Dean Malenko (as Cyclope) winning the Cruiserweight Battle Royal and making Chris Jericho tap.

Without a doubt, it was Bischoff's WWE debut. I think Booker T and Goldust has just finished a skit backstage. Booker turned around, and his jaw dropped, then he asked "What the hell are you doing here", or something to that effect, and the camera panned over to show Eric Bischoff. Never EVER in a million years did I expect him to become a part of WWE.