TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Finals

Damn you were just sitting here waiting to post this mufucka huh.

This will be the most boring NBA finals ever. Hopefully the Pistons win though.. just because.. fuck the Spurs.

it'll be a titanic struggle, but now I think Im glad I dont get it live like last year, because it could also be very low scoring and unentertaining. I really can't pick a winner.

Considering that neither team have any players with personalities what will the media do? I sure as hell don't want to see nothing but reports of why Larry Brown never wants to stay in a city long term.

Spurs win in 6 games.

Yeah, go ahead and hate it all you want, but I'm gonna be loving this finals. I don't care if the scores are in the 50-60 range, but as long as teams are competitive, I'll watch.

That being said, I think Detroit will win. Miami was the toughest opponent for the Pistons, since they play at a completely difference pace and have those two superstars, Shaq and Wade. Spurs will be tough, but they play at a pace closer to Detroit and Tim Duncan is not yet a Shaquille O'Neal offensively.

I think there are a lot of haters right about now going off of stereotypes seen from a year ago. Hate all you want, but this should be a very good Finals. Both teams are capable of playing great defense during stretches when they need it, but they are not half court, shut down Riley type teams anymore.

The Spurs proved last series they can run when they want to. The Pistons won the championship last year. not executing the Lakers in the half court, but by out running them and then getting stops when they could or if they felt they could pull away some distance at certain points.

I also feel both TEAMS have enough personality to carry me through. Just because the media haven't pumped gas about guys like Manu, Rasheed, Chauncey, or Tony Parker doesn't mean they won't provide entertaining basketball moments.

Tim Duncan is not yet a Shaquille O'Neal offensively.

Timmy might have a better Free Throw percentage. Comparing a 400 pound dunker/5 foot jump shooter to a finese player is like comparing apples to oranges.

The way I see it is that this series is an even match up. The guards are even, the Spurs have the advantage with the bigs considering Duncan/Muhammond > Wallace twins and the bench are about even. I don't know about you but I can't wait to see Rasho vs Darko in garbage minutes.

fuck that noise, this has the chance to be one of the best Finals in years.

No way this is as boring as SA/NJ, or LA/NJ. The actual gameplay should be more competative than last years.

(can you tell I really dont like the Nets?)

Plus I just love that the best *teams* made it, and not the big money stars. If David Stern is unhappy, that makes me smile. THough I was kinda hoping for an offense vs defense battle between Det and Phoenix.

I feel like the SPurs are deeper, but i'm being carried by my home spirit 9even though I dont live in MI anymore) adrenaline, and will say Pistons in 6.

If it goes 7, SA wins for sure.

...the Spurs have the advantage with the bigs considering Duncan/Muhammond > Wallace twins...

I don't agree with that. Well, not totally. Duncan may be better than both Wallace individually, but Nazr isn't good enough to put him and Tim ahead of the Wallaces. Also, off the bench Detroit still has McDyess and Cambell. Antonio can provide some offense, while Cambell can bang with Duncan down low like he did with Shaq. Rasho wont really be a factor here.

I'm not greatly excited for this matchup (I really wanted Heat/Spurs), but hopefully they can surprise me. I'd mark if there was just one game where both teams scored over 100.

^ shh. dont you know the score's on all the games are gonna be in their 60s? YOu know, just like how Detroit wasn't gonna break 70 in a single game of the Finals last year!!! What!? Didnt you see that conference finals with the pacers!?

*snicker*

(I actually expect it to be split. We'll get like 2 low scoring games and like 2 surprisnigly high ones, the rest will hover in the 80-90 range)

Considering that neither team have any players with personalities what will the media do?  I sure as hell don't want to see nothing but reports of why Larry Brown never wants to stay in a city long term.

I thought the media like Rasheed?

I'm gonna say Detroit in 7 and there will only be one game in this series that will go over 85 points.

fuck that noise, this has the chance to be one of the best Finals in years.

Agreed. This, on paper, is the most even Finals matchup in a long, long time. It might not be "marquee" to the fairweather fan who thinks fundamentals and defense is boring, but to true basketball fans what more can you ask for than the two best, most complete teams in the league, the last two NBA champions, finally going head up??! Prince on Ginobili, Bowen on Rip, the Wallaces and McDyess head to head with Duncan, Mohammed and Horry, and the contrasting styles of Billups and Parker....great matchups across the board.

I like San Antonio because they're deeper, better rested, and I think a little more focused, while Detroit went through an absolute war with Miami and has the Larry Brown drama hanging over them, but there's no way I'm counting Detroit out. Billups has a favorable matchup against Parker IMO, the Wallace boys should counter Duncan well on defense, Horry may be neutralized by Sheed while Ben switches onto Duncan, this is going to be a great series!

Guest Vitamin X

I made my feelings clear on the matter already, but I'll just restate that this is a series where I don't really care who comes out on top since both the teams are the ones who knocked the Lakers out every year since the threepeat. I like the Spurs because they have every right to 3 championships in the Duncan era just like LA had with Shaq/Kobe/Jackson. I like the Pistons because they play real team basketball and are real fighters, you can never count them out. And, last year after the Finals were over, a lot of us predicted the Pistons could come back to this spot, and were right, including myself.

I'll call Spurs in 6.

I like the Spurs in 6. Just think they've a little more consistent this year.

Remarkable or not. For 26 years, there has only been one team win one title (Philadelphia) the others have been shared by six teams. On top of that, only Phoenix, New York, and Seattle where one time NBA final participants.

...the Spurs have the advantage with the bigs considering Duncan/Muhammond > Wallace twins...

I don't agree with that. Well, not totally. Duncan may be better than both Wallace individually, but Nazr isn't good enough to put him and Tim ahead of the Wallaces. Also, off the bench Detroit still has McDyess and Cambell. Antonio can provide some offense, while Cambell can bang with Duncan down low like he did with Shaq. Rasho wont really be a factor here.

Rasho will be lucky to play 10 minute the whole series. Robert Horry and Tony Massenberg will be coming off the bench if and when Duncan gets into foul trouble. Horry will bring the offense when needed and Massenberg can elbow Wallace while going for the rebounds.

A couple of things I am looking at in this series....

Speed v. Strength- in particular, Parker v. Billups. Billups had a lot of success posting up the smaller Damon Jones in game 7 yesterday and I think they will try to exploit this matchup. On the flip side, Parker can take Billups just about anywhere he wants to go. The Pistons bigs are going to want to watch tapes of last year's Lakers-Spurs series to see how to deal with Parker when he gets into the lane because after the first 2 games, Parker wasn't nearly as effective.

Ginobili/Bowen v. Prince/Hamilton- Ginobili has been the offensive gem of the Spurs this postseason and has help eleviate a lot of the scoring pressure off of Duncan. After dealing with defensive softies at the 3 position (Melo, Rashard, Marion) Manu must now deal with arguably the Pistons best one on one defender. It'll be interesting to see how Prince's length will effect Ginobili's awkward, yet potent scoring drives. It'll be interesting to see how much gas Hamilton will have when a guy like Bowen, who's only on the floor because he chases and harasses guys like Hamilton into fits. On the flip side, I can see Hamilton becoming the double person, putting the onus on Bowen to hit from the outside consistently because Bowen just isn't that much of a scoring threat and the Pistons will gamble on Bowen beating them before Duncan or Ginobili.

Rasheed v. Duncan- Duncan is getting his if he wants. His worse enemy is himself and when he's focused, he's pretty unstoppable. Sheed is almost the same way, except he's more easily distracted and taken out of games by either his perception of the officiating or being too unselfish. Sheed's ability to hit from long range will be huge because they are looking to draw Duncan out of the paint. When he's either guaranteed a win or just has a hair up his ass, Sheed can be as much of a load to deal with as a guy like Garnett. This is the money matchup.

More to come later.

After dealing with defensive softies at the 3 position (Melo, Rashard, Marion)

You are kidding right?

Upon second thought, it's not so much that Marion himself is a softie, but the Suns defensive philosophy is soft. Marion himself is a decent one on one defender, when he actually gets back. Since the Suns don't put a premium on getting back, it kind of takes Marion's defensive prowess away from him.

Plus Q richardson was Manu's resident bitch for most of the series. Then they put him on Bowen so manu could stop bitching him and bruce fucking bowen bitched him.

The Pistons bigs are going to want to watch tapes of last year's Lakers-Spurs series to see how to deal with Parker when he gets into the lane because after the first 2 games, Parker wasn't nearly as effective

Or better yet watch 2003 Finals to learn how to stop Parker......The Mask and Chauncy need to take notes on what Jason Kidd did.

The Pistons just got 7 games worth of Dwayne Wade. They are going to be a little relieved to see Parker.

But if the Spurs just get out and push the fuck out of the ball like they did against the suns they could sweep this thang.

Chauncey Billups should be able to manhandle Tony Parker. He's one of the most underrated all-around players in the league. Because of that, the Spurs usually don't win when Parker stinks, and which is why I pick the Pistons to win. Sounds simple, but it comes down to how Parker performs because Duncan and Ginobili will always do their thing.

Also forgot about a potential X-Factor in dealing with Parker= Lindsey Hunter. Talk about a disrupter. If he can make Parker work while Chauncey gets valuable rest, Parker may wear down and start to hack while Chauncey is in the post or Parker may not get that hand in Billups face when he goes for one of those dagger 3's.

Yeah, Hunter is a pest. I'd be very surprised to see Parker have a good series. This is not going to be like Phoenix, Detroit has more depth, so don't expect any of their starters to tire out like the Suns did.