TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Guest Smues

Those Aeris rumors always made me laugh. I had a gameshark and used it to put Aeris back in my party, and it was pretty clear that she wasn't meant to be back, because the game would crash if you had Aeris in your party for pretty much any story sequence. When it would try to show all three character's in your party is when the game would tank. The same went for Gamesharking Sephiroth into your party, but that wasn't as fun anyway because you couldn't control him. He always took zero damage though, that was nice.

My problem with Braid is the developers boycotted a game show / competition that pulled Super Columbine Massacre RPG. Seriously, free speech and that sort of thing is great, but there IS a line that was obviously crossed and no one should have felt compelled to defend such a ban.

Also, the demo locked up on me within 30 seconds. All I did was enter a room and the screen went black forever.

My problem with the demo was that it was boring as shit.

I didn't sense the hype when I played the Demo either. I mean fair play to them for developing the game, but I don't see why people defend so much on various messageboards (GAMEFAQS).

http://wii.ign.com/articles/897/897894p1.html

3 Mega Man 9 bosses revealed, with screen shots.

I knew there would be a Mega Man 9 but, since I don't usually follow current-gen news, I had no idea the game would revert back to the old NES look and gameplay. I just saw the trailer and it brought back good memories. That game looks like a must to any fan who grew up with these games.

It even has bad Mega Man 1-style boxart !

Well, there's no real box. It's going to be a downloadable game.

It's Capcom promotional artwork, apparently for a t-shirt. It's an incredible throwback either way. I like that he has the hand pistol, like the MM2 box art.

The Braid demo is pretty awesome. Shame about the price. I will not get it right away but cross my fingers and hope it drops in a few eeks.

Also,

Rumors run wild that EA's ponied up for NaturalMotion, the new physics engine used in GTA4 and the main selling point for this year's "Madden killer", BackBreaker. Is this good news, i.e. Madden won't suck, or bad news, i.e. Madden is able to suck because it's bought out a competitor?

Is anyone else on here planning on getting The Force Unleashed? I am tempted, but Star Wars games are usually either really fun or really gawd-awful.

I'm taking that same approach with Mercenaries 2. I LOVED the first one, but I'm going to check out Metacritic before I plunk down the $60.

Guest Smues

I remain optimistic about the Force Unleash. I'm not optimistic, but still holding out blind hope that maybe, just maybe, they'll release Shadows of the Empire for VC before it comes out to hype it. Probably my favorite Star Wars game outside of the KOTOR games.

*high five KingPk* Mercanaries was awesome...nothing beats sniping out North Koreans while running along the mountain tops.

It's odd...Shadows of the Empire has probably the shittiest controls you can ever have in a game, yet it's still great.

Guest Smues

My N64 is back at my parents house, so I haven't been able to play SOTE in a long time. Were the controls really that bad? I don't remember any control issues, but I also played the ever loving SHIT out of that game so it's quite possible I just got used to compensating for bad controls.

My N64 is back at my parents house, so I haven't been able to play SOTE in a long time. Were the controls really that bad? I don't remember any control issues, but I also played the ever loving SHIT out of that game so it's quite possible I just got used to compensating for bad controls.

You gotta play it in first-person. The controls are fine then, even though if you look at it as a first-person shooter, it's pretty bad. Actually, it's pretty bad no mater what you consider it but I still love it. I also love Friday the 13th for NES so my taste in games isn't exactly the best. But that "cinematic" changing camera angle system was one of the worst things ever in video games and it should NEVER be played that way. But anyway, Shadows of the Empire = thumbs up. Nintendo should negotiate for LucasArts to make a sequel for Wii. It'll suck twice as bad and I'll love it twice as much.

You gotta play it in first-person. The controls are fine then, even though if you look at it as a first-person shooter, it's pretty bad. Actually, it's pretty bad no mater what you consider it but I still love it. I also love Friday the 13th for NES so my taste in games isn't exactly the best. But that "cinematic" changing camera angle system was one of the worst things ever in video games and it should NEVER be played that way. But anyway, Shadows of the Empire = thumbs up. Nintendo should negotiate for LucasArts to make a sequel for Wii. It'll suck twice as bad and I'll love it twice as much.

I thought SOTE controlled fine. My only problem was that some of the levels were WAY too long, and IIRC, you only got to save at the end of a level. I remember being stuck at the Junkyard level for a couple weeks before finally getting past it. Boba Fett was tough enough, but them you had to fight the Slave ship. DAMN! It seemed to be the cool thing at the time to say the only fun part of the game was the opening snowspeeder levels, but I though the whole game was decent overall.

Guest Smues

First time through I blazed through the game on Easy. Then I moved up to medium and I think that long ass level stuck me for awhile, but then I got through it after not too long and blazed through the rest of the game. Then my mission was to get all the lucas point things or whatever they were called on medium so I could fly an X-wing in the last level. That took me a few weeks or months or some such. Then I got the crazy idea to beat it on Jedi, with all the lucas points. THAT took me months. Boba Fett and his ship on Jedi raped my ass. It literally took me over two months, maybe more, before I finally beat him. I'm sure there's some simple way to do it, but it seemed like everything I tried failed, and it took half an hour just to get to him each time. After finally toasting him the rest of the game on Jedi seemed like a breeze, even though it probably took a few more weeks. Man I wish having that much free time. Oh, and the satisfaction I got from beating fett on Jedi will probably never be topped by any feat in any video game. I earned that fucking victory.

More on Steam: Portal is $9.95 this weekend, and a couple of Oddworld games are available.

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?ar...sts&id=1787

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?ar...sts&id=1782

The Oddworld games are the PS1-era 2D platformers, Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus. And they're available as a package, currently on sale for $13.49. I never played the games, but I heard a lot of praise for them back in the day. There's demos for both.

Guest Smues
Super Mario RPG is out on the Virtual Console today. I know a lot of people were looking forward to that getting a rerelease.

Awesome. Of all the days for my wifi to be out.

I was going to post that in the VC thread earlier, but apparently that hasn't been used since May and I didn't want to be a thread bumper. The significance of Mario RPG's VC release it that it's North American VC title #250.

Anyone here pick up Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09? I picked it up yesterday and just had the time to play one round of golf @ Sawgrass but it was fun. The two/three click swings option bring back memories of the old school SNES golf games (just with much better load times this time).

The only real detriment I see in the game right now is the commentary team blows, but I am happy to see that the custom courses are gone and real ones got added in. EA Cup mode looks fun (its 3 quick holes of matches against another player in a World Cup-style format of 16 golfers) too.

I might also add that I got the PS2 version, so the swing coach isn't in mine unlike the XBox 360 and PS3 versions. However, I find it to be an enjoyable game thus far, even with my custom golfer who can only drive the ball about 240 yards right now due to low skill level.