TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rawmvp

ECW One Night Stand

I don't even think the main event (Dreamer/Sandman vs. Dudley Boyz) was announced. I know Awesome/Tanaka was, not sure about Rhyno/Sabu. But hey, that's true ECW fashion: announce a match or two, and wing the rest.

And how are you getting One Night Stand out of Bad Blood for this year when Bad Blood happened 2 weeks after ONS? I highly doubt that if they had the numbers from ONS in already, they'd title it under Bad Blood.

I have a hunch on that original 800,000 figure. I bet whatever cable insider dude who said that looked at the huge amount of orders from the NE area of the country and projected that for the rest of the country. Thus, ECW would draw huge in PA and NY but not so much out west or in the middle states.

Just flat out fuck all of this. The 800,000 figure was bullshit even if most of us (including myself) wanted to believe it was true, and so is this new figure. One is insanely high, the other is way low. I refuse to believe any of this until we get an official report, not these wacky and way off estimates.

They released the card on the internet but never promoted it on tv where the vast majority of their audience would find it. Television promotion centred on "ECW Stars" like Sandman, Dreamer, Sabu and the Dudleys and the storyline that went into the show was the "WWE invading the ECW PPV". The majority of WWE fans probably never knew the card, which is vital when making a PPV purchase, and also the vast majority of the WWE audience doesn't know who Sabu or Sandman is so the nostalgic appeal wouldn't work for them. Remember, the ECW DVD didn't sell a million copies - it actually sold LESS than this PPV (and ECW ppvs sold MUCH LESS than the DVDs), therefore the regular audience for the PPV would be naturally small.

I think it would be safe to say that between 100,000-150,000 people bought it for the ECW name and 120,000-170,000 bought it because it was a WWE PPV and they always buy WWE PPVs. The build for it sucked, plain and simple. When you don't release an actual card, then people have to go into the show blind - most people don't like doing that. There are only two shows for the WWE that get bought on name recognition, where you don't even have to say who is wrestling and you'll get at least 300,000 buys, and that is Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble.

I would think the website would be pretty official.

And come on, if it was something wicked high, don't you think WWE would fire off a press release like they did for WM?

This is an "initial estimate", not an official report of the actual number. It could be lower, or higher, that what is reported here.

Just flat out fuck all of this. The 800,000 figure was bullshit even if most of us (including myself) wanted to believe it was true, and so is this new figure. One is insanely high, the other is way low. I refuse to believe any of this until we get an official report, not these wacky and way off estimates.

Way low? Please. 300,000 range is MUCH more accurate than 800,000 range. That's a good percent above anything the real ECW ever achieved, so they should be thankful if they got as many as was reported. I'd wager this number is far from 'way off' when the confirmed number comes through.

Way low? Please. 300,000 range is MUCH more accurate than 800,000 range. That's a good percent above anything the real ECW ever achieved, so they should be thankful if they got as many as was reported. I'd wager this number is far from 'way off' when the confirmed number comes through.

I mean when compared to that first number that was released. Compared to 800,000, 300,000 IS way low.

Had this estimate been released first, most people would be saying that this was a pretty big success.

Benoit and Eddie should have had different opponents, since they never had a series of matches against each other in ECW, and Eddie doesn't seem to be on good terms with Benoit anymore to the point of giving him a bad match.

Why isnt Eddie on good terms with Benoit anymore? I thought that they were the best of friends. :S

I don't even think the main event (Dreamer/Sandman vs. Dudley Boyz) was announced. I know Awesome/Tanaka was, not sure about Rhyno/Sabu. But hey, that's true ECW fashion: announce a match or two, and wing the rest.

And how are you getting One Night Stand out of Bad Blood for this year when Bad Blood happened 2 weeks after ONS? I highly doubt that if they had the numbers from ONS in already, they'd title it under Bad Blood.

He meant Bad Blood from LAST YEAR.

Damn WWE must be really sucking if people don't even know the names of their ppvs lmao.

The buyrate may not be big enough to revive the product but truth be told, those who bought it and/or are getting the dvd, saw one hell of a show that was much needed in today's mundane Prowrestling scene.

http://corporate.wwe.com/investors/documen...Drivers_021.pdf

The buyrate has been confirmed to be in the 270,000 range, which is lower than last year's Bad Blood, and much, much lower than the original 800,000 estimate. I wouldn't look for the ECW brand to be revived after this...

That's a really good number. The 800,000 prediction was fucking retarded.

Why isnt Eddie on good terms with Benoit anymore? I thought that they were the best of friends. :S

This will probably get off-topic, but I'm thinking it's because Eddie found out he was tapping out clean to Benoit at ONS, got pissed about it, and therefore gave him a bad match on purpose. I already posted that in the "One and Only ECW One Night Stand" thread a while back.

Guest Rrrsh

Hopefully this number will bring the fanboys back to earth.

-This was not a Philosophy changing show. It got the buys of any other random show did.

-Yah the build was garbage, but that doesn't mean that the ECW way would fly now. The Upside of it being special in a 1 time deal cancels the negative of the buildup in regards to its buy.

Take the show for what it was, it was fun with ONE good match. The style of the matches were quick, flashy and storyless. That was ECW for the most part, and thats why they BY FAR had the leats amount of great matches when the "Big 3" were around. The WWE does not need the ECW way to be better, they just have to stop executing there own way like blind monkeys.

Thia number is both good and bad.

The number is low but they probably didn't spend as much as they would have on Bad Blood, The PPV was a breath of fresh air and hopefully the DVD will be a best seller.

270,000 range... that sucks.

You have the right idea. The numbers were low, but they spent a lot less on a building, pyro, teardown crew, etc. There wasn't much else to do other than move the ring.

Also, although ECW has the most loyal cult following, it's still a cult following in the end. 250K is much higher than any "real" ECW PPV, and it's about what you'd expect from the mainstream fans when you're talking about the show where the main event is Tommy Dreamer and some guy many of them have only heard about before.

For people "waiting for a final number," don't hold your breath. They don't give that kind of information away easily and these drivers.pdf files released every quarter about as close as we can get to a final buyrate.

Besides, it's what the company itself is budgeting for. Don't you think they would WANT to claim the show did way beyond that?

Guest Ronixis

I say that the PPV made 500,000 Buys- 300,000 is good, but something needed to wake Vince...

But then, we didnt have the server crashes for Vengence that we had for ONS did we?

Makes a man wonder if they played with the numbers.

I lost all interest in buying the PPV the second they announced the WWE "invasion" would be taking place. Suddenly it went from being "ECW One Night Stand" to "ECW Presents the Stars of Raw and Smackdown".

I'm just one guy, but that's the reason I didn't order it.

Guest Brian

Think of what audience each show was catering to. Now think of which audience populates this site. Like I said with Meltzer overreacting over the amount of feedback, this show needed a different barometer.

Of course the internet audience reacted well to the ECW PPV. They announced the card online and ECW had lots of net-savvy fans. That it had lots of buys on this board and others doesn't really account for the majority of WWE fans. Say 80 people from this board bought it, and 80 people from 99 other boards bought it. That's still only 8000 people and less than 3% of the buyrate. I think net opinion and response is important because we're all fans with legitimate thoughts on the product, but I wouldn't exactly correlate the amount of people who bought it here with the norm. Which is why I felt Meltzer saying "This oen is a hit" after the "huge" feedback he received was a bit silly.

So...it did around regular WWE PPV numbers...isn't that kindof a good thing? I actually have a point, but I can't articulate it. But it's there, damnit...

Guest Jimmy

i thought it woulda done a bit higher, but then again it was always on a small scale

in the uk it got 150,000+ viewers, which is remarkable as it aired at 1am

Guest xad
*BUZZER*

Hold your horses.

Look at the chart again. The ones that are on the left- are the 2004 events. Bad Blood had Byrate of 270,000 back in 2004. Has anyone taken a Course in Accounting Before? Wow...

The last PPV they got info for is Backlash 2005. The next PPV is Judgment Day and then ONS which still hasnt not seen its buyrate numbers come in as Mrs McMahan has stated. They dont KNOW yet!

LET NOT YOUR HEARTS BE TROUBLED!

Is this true :huh: Can anybody else back this up as it seems everyones saying the buyrates are already in :huh: