TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

It's Emmy Time.

With the nominations being announced tommorow this is a good time to discuss all that is good on TV. I find right now an odd time to be a fan of TV shows considering what we get these days is either brilliant (Lost, Deadwood) or absolute crap (The Simple Life, Gilmore Girls......ok, maybe it's not THAT bad). I don't find there to be too many "happy medium" shows where you can just tune in and watch it. Serializations are becoming the next big thing amongst dramas as tommorows noms will no doubt show.

So, what's killing it for you right now? Discuss Emmy Nominations if you feel like giving some shoutouts.

Lost- The #1 show for me currently and no doubt this is going to be big amongst nominations tommorow. Best Drama is a gimme and I can see Matthew Fox and Evangeline Lily both getting nominations in the lead actor and actress category (which is a shame because Yunjin Kim has easily put in the best female performance on that show). As sad as it is for me to say it, Terry O'Quinn is going to get fucked over. The best I can hope for is a Best Supporting Actor nomineee but for some reason I can see that going to Josh Holloway instead due to the "breakout factor" he's had from the show.

Deadwood- Get out the brooms because this cocksucker is sweeping the show. Best Drama? Check. Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant for Best Actor? Check. Molly Parker for Best Actress? Check. A massively talented cast to choose from for the supporting roles? Done like dinner. Alongside The Shield this is probably the only show that could ever touch Lost for me.

Arrested Development- The most underrated show on TV, period. I could give two shits about the broad critical acclaim because this show is like a great secret that you don't want to tell anybody about. It's the anti-Friends; you cannot be a dumbass and enjoy this show. From the disgustingly good continuity to the best ensemble comedy cast EVER (sorry Jerry and Co.) this show willl hopefully make Emmy viewers hear zoo noises come award time.

You could have been talking about Seinfeld for your AD blurb and it would have all applied (well, except for the zoo noises). I wonder if that means it will become a huge hit.

Amber Tamblyn needs to be nominated for Best Actress again, since she's the best actress on TV.

It'd be great if Without a Trace got a nod for Best Drama, but I saw the episodes they submitted for consideration, and they weren't the best ones. LaPaglia will probably get a Best Actor nod based on Malone v. Malone, even though I would've submitted The Juror and John Michael Malone.

I'd like to see Joan get a nomination again this year, moreso as a fuck you to CBS, but all the backlash the show got for its rating drops will probably hurt it.

And of course, Arrested Development deserves nominations for the show, Bateman and Arnett.

Arrested Development submitted the following episodes:

The ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT DVD contains these 3 episodes:

1. GOOD GRIEF---Lucille hires Ice, the bounty hunter to find George Sr., who may be closer than everyone thinks. Gob tries to pull off an elaborate illusion, Maeby tries to set Lindsay up with Ice, and Michael tries to mend George Michael's broken relationship.

Guest Stars: Henry Winkler (as Barry Zuckerkorn) Malik Yoba (as Ice) Mae Whitman (as Ann) Abraham Higginbotham (as Gary) Ben Stiller (as Magician) Jason Aaron Tinero (as Young Buster)

2. MOTHERBOY XXX---Lucille abducts George Michael for a mother-son dance; Buster adjusts to having a hook for a hand; Gob reunites with his estranged wife; Tobias stars as George Sr. in a biopic about the Bluth family, which causes Lindsay to become more attracted to him.

Guest Stars: Henry Winkler (as Barry Zukerkorn) Dave Attell (as Himself) Amy Poehler (as Gob's Wife) Michael Paul Chan (as Judge Lionel Ping) Carl Weathers (as Himself)

3. THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS----Gob hides George Sr. while the model home's plumbing is checked; George Michael helps Ann protest Maeby's new movie; Tobias takes a liking to Kitty after Michael asks him to keep an eye on her.

Guest Stars: Rob Huebel (as Dave Williams) Judy Greer (as Kitty Sanchez) Henry Winkler (as Barry Zukerkorn) Jeff Garlin (as Mort Meyers) Marc Cherry (as Himself) Mae Whitman (as Ann) Ron Heubel (as Dave Williams) John Michael Higgins (as Wayne Jarvis)

You could have been talking about Seinfeld for your AD blurb and it would have all applied (well, except for the zoo noises). I wonder if that means it will become a huge hit.

Not so sure about that. I'd say AD takes a more open mind to enjoy then Seinfeld did.

AD requires more commitment then Seinfeld did, since each episode plays off every other episode and a lot of the gags work because people have seen the previous episodes.

I could really see Anthony Anderson or Walton Goggins from The Shield getting nominations this year. They both deserve it.

I loved the first season of Deadwood, but haven't seen any season 2 yet.

Guest Deadbolt

"Scrubs" is another one for me. It's the closest to a human cartoon as I think you'll ever get, with the little moments where JD is daydreaming or whatever. I don't think there's one bad character in it. The best parts for me are the Janitor or Dr. Cox's rants. They're comic gold.

"Family Guy" is up there too. I'm overjoyed they brought it back.

Regarding the AD/Seinfeld comparison, it was more applicable to Seinfeld when it was new and sharing space with Cheers and such. The ground it broke has been broken for many years now.

My favorite shows never get an Emmy sniff.

I refuse to buy into Jennifer Garner's nominations when Sarah Michelle Gellar did more...better...for longer without recognition. And I won't even get into James Marsters constant overlooking in a supporting role.

But those shows are gone now anyway.

Now I can watch Kristen Bell get passed over instead. Huzzah!

Last year Without a Trace submitted "Wannabe", the best episode well ever, and didn't get any big nominations.

The people at the Emmy's can be clueless

I could really see Anthony Anderson or Walton Goggins from The Shield getting nominations this year. They both deserve it.

Glenn Close will probably get the Shield's only nod, which sucks considering that Anderson and Goggins both deserve nominations.

Anderson did well enough but I still consider Armadillo to be the best heel they've ever had on that show with Margos Dasarian a close second.

Margos wasn't on the show enough to be great.

Rescue Me got a nomination for Leary last season, I don't know how the cutoff date for this type of stuff works.

And SMG should have gotten the nod at least once, and that's just not Buffy love. I can't get into Alias. Geller did a better job than I've seen out of Jen.

Part of what made Margos so appealing to me was how everybody around him reacted. Dutch, Vic, Danny, Acevada, his henchmen. You knew that this guy was an evil soul without him saying a single english word.

I haven't seen all of Season Four, however, so my opinion regarding Andersons performance might change.

When the fuck is David Rees Snell going to get promoted to fulltime cast member? I mean, the dude has been around since Day One and is still considered a fucking guest star. Ronnie WILL be recognized goddamnit.