TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

There hasn't been a major innovation in music

We can't let this discussion turn into a comedy competition where everyone sees if they can come up with the wackiest genre-combination. Please.

We all know that ambient big-band surf music backing layers upon layers of Tuvan throat singing is going to be the next big thing, anyway.

But on a serious note, Inc -- are you going to propose a solution to the problem that you've shed light on, or did you just bring it up to depress us all? I've thought it over many-a-time, and I've never truly come up with something that meets every single standard of a possible "giant innovation"... PLAGIARISM! is probably right. Musical heroin is the only way out of this mess.

Yes reggaeton is the most innovative music genre right now. A style of music originated in La Perla Puerto Rico in 92(Some say Panama but panamains were doing spanish reggae which people confuse with reggaeton because of the name)It sort of makes me mad that this style of music I have been listening to since I was little and everyone hated is now liked by most people in Latin America and in the American East Coast. It used to be exclusive to the Metro Area in P.R but now there's even Mexicans listening to reggaeton...a genre they called the trash of P.R and now suddenly it's a genre for "all spanish speakers" screw them...

Anyway here is one of the most popular songs of this genre..it's called Guasa Guasa by Tego Calderon...you may have seen him at the Source Awards or in Lean Back video.

http://s61.yousendit.com/d.php?id=3IVZ1CQCOJEOW3JOND254YUAS4

But on a serious note, Inc -- are you going to propose a solution to the problem that you've shed light on, or did you just bring it up to depress us all? I've thought it over many-a-time, and I've never truly come up with something that meets every single standard of a possible "giant innovation"... PLAGIARISM! is probably right. Musical heroin is the only way out of this mess.

Just an observation, based on a discussion I recently had with some friends of mine. It wasn't my intent to "depress" people.

And reggeaton is some of the worst shit.

I guess I respect your opinion since you're american...but Reggaeton is one of the best genres to dance to AND it has great lyrics. I think you know spanish because I have seen you translate stuff before so read this lyrics...Lito y Polaco -Mirate al Espejo

De chamaquito yo...

Capiaba y enrolaba

Camino a la escuela fumaba

Y me arrebataba

Así janguiaba

En el salón yo la formaba

Un día el maestro nebuleo

y lo figue con mi navaja

Que tonto fue, se busco su fin

Ni que meterse con el gran Charlie Motin

Yo no se que rayos pensaba

Pero el maestro no me iba poder quitar mi ranking

Empezé a meterme a residenciales

Empezé a cojerle el gusto

A los metales

Me hice hermanito de los anormales

Y ese fue el comienzo de todos mis males

No soportaba andar pelao

Y de guardia disfrazao

Deje pa'l de puntos pegao

Eso fue un foul

Con el vacilon

Ya yo no estaba tan rankiao

Y yo guerrie,

Guerra tras guerra

Y yo viví

Muerte tras muerte

Y consumí

Droga tras droga

De la escuela callejera me gradué con to y diploma

Los dejaba en coma

Si salía y los cazaba en mi Sonoma

Les pasaba por encima y le chillaba gomas

Pai no es broma

Si y en la semana, fumando marihuana

Mataba al que me daba la gana

Meses pasaron y todo empeoro

Pues en la calle se regó que era un abusador

Y con honor por hay capiaba

No me importaba, abusaba y mucha mierda que hablaban

Se cansaron, chotiaron

Y me rastrearon

Y mientras yo dormía los de C.I.C. entraron

Me trancaron

Y saliendo de admisiones

En la sillita me sentaron

Ay papi, yo no sabia

Que un día Charlie Motin

A este hoyo me caería

Mientras lo oía yo lo sentía

Que me quitaron la vida

Fueron como doce hombres que flores me hundían

Fue culpa mía

Sabia que esto llegaría

Mi trayectoria como abusador

Así como no perdone

No me quisieron dar perdón

Padre, mírate al espejo

Y que ves?

Como destruyes tu familia

Por tu andar bebiendo, fumando, tripiando

En la calle janguiando

Padre, mírate al espejo

Y que ves?

Como se llevan a tu hijo

Y vas a verlo preso

O muerto en uno de esos funerales

Padre, mírate al espejo

Y que ves?

Como destruyes tu familia

Por tu andar bebiendo, fumando, tripiando

En la calle janguiando

Padre, mírate al espejo

Y que ves?

Como se llevan a tu hijo

Y vas a verlo preso

O muerto en uno de esos funerales

¿Y que ves?

But the poetry is exactly what makes it an innovation. Rapping doesn't involve standing there and saying a bunch of things that rhyme; there's breath control, lyrical flow, etc.

EDIT: So what I'm saying is that even a seemingly minor modification can create something totally new.

The problem I have with the bulk of this thread is that, somehow, you are exempting hip-hop from the regression in which you've avoided any claim to refute your own. Namely, that something like Endtroducing... is merely expanding on the foundations laid before it. Now, while it seems obvious that there exists a timeline between DJ Shadow's collage work on the record and the infant stages of electronic music; the means of delivery were dramatically different in the presence of emerging technology and the medium/idiom was being explored and delivered in a wholly different way.

You acknowledge that hip-hop has its basis in funk/disco/r&b/what-have-you, but claim actual unique innovation due to a small change in presentation. The earliest incarnations of hip-hop saw it as party music, dance music, wherein the MC's cadance and "flow" were not as recognized or invested in as they are in these modern times. I think if you are to place the weight of regression on other genre's you cannot simply let hip-hop off the hook because it fits with the thread starting statement.

Also, the greatest turning points in the timeline of hip-hop are due to an influx of tonal or textural cues from other genres. Glitchier production on recent underground releases taken from lap-pop and idm producers. A return to down-tempo and old jazz releases from a world still recovering from the sample-mania of the aforementioned Endtroducing.... Non-linear lyrical delivery from post-modern/slam poetry. Gangsta rap as a direct extension of the punk rock ideal into inner city black american culture.

In the cases were hip-hop has shined the brightest it was in the presence and with the acknowledgment of its inability (or of any genre's for that matter) to exist as a unique and prevaling entity in its own right. No man is an island, so to speak; and these great things that seem to come out of nowhere are merely the work of exceptional craftsmen standing on the shoulders of giants.

(note: that, in spite of not being originary; hip-hop certainly qualifies as an innovation. but, by that same token, so do a few of the things lists that were/or would be otherwise dismissed.)

Though not a major innovation in commercial terms, but Industrial is probably the last musical inovation there is?

Right?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Definitely not. That can be traced back to the early-mid 70's easily.

The Stooges did the chaotic noise thing before those, and I don't think they were really the first either. In any case, when Dave Davis took a knife to his amp in the 60s he pioneered distortion, (I'm not absolutely sure he 'invented' it) and those bands were just furthering his approach, not really innovating.

Edit: Suicide have a good case for a considerable innovation.

Musical innovations in my eyes

-My Bloody Valentine (sure, their were other shoegazer bands, but none of them captured the brillience of "Isn't Anything" and "Loveless" in my eyes)

-Suicide

-Merzbow

-The Silver Apples

-Dub

-Krautrock

-Electro Acoustic

-The No Wave scene in New York

-Musique Concrete

-The early Industrial scene (I mean artists like Throbbing Gristle, Nocturnal Emissions, SPK, Clock DVA, Test Dept, Einsturzende Neubauten, and of course, Cabaret Voltaire)

while hip hop is a major musical innovation, it's not the only one.

I credit Kraftwerk for most of electronic.

So do I. I also credit Tangerine Dream, Cluster, the Silver Apples, and Wendy Carlos.

thecitythesky sure took up a lot of space to miss the point completely.

And maybe the rest of you have a different understanding of "major" than I, but I think a major innovation of music MUST have a part in changing the landscape of music completely.

For instance, "industrial" is just an offshoot of electronic music, which, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, can conceivably be traced back to the 50s (the works of composer Karlheinz Stockhausen), but mostly has its roots in the 70s (Kraftwerk).

For instance, "industrial" is just an offshoot of electronic music, which, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, can conceivably be traced back to the 50s (the works of composer Karlheinz Stockhausen), but mostly has its roots in the 70s (Kraftwerk).

I agree with your point, but whilst Electronic music was around before Suicide and they did something old in a new way, I still think they changed the landscape of music more significantly than most. I won't call them a major innovator on the level of hip-hop, but I just think they did a lot more than they get credit for, even now.

I'm willing to bet that this thread will look awfully trite once the third Strokes record is released. And, beyond that, the next major musical innovation will obviously be composed by aboriginal Australians and will consist entirely of cut-up segments of cellphone ringtones.

And, actually, could I get a list of all of the previous major innovations in popular music, just so I know what sort of criteria we're working with here?

I'm willing to bet that this thread will look awfully trite once the third Strokes record is released.  And, beyond that, the next major musical innovation will obviously be composed by aboriginal Australians and will consist entirely of cut-up segments of cellphone ringtones.

So the next Jet album then?

Guest Derek Bailey

There hasn't been a major innovation in music since the birth of musique concrète.