TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Bands that everyone hates, but you like.....

I know there's a few fans here, but I still find it unbelievable how many people hate Andrew WK. Mainly cos they say he's repetitive, before waxing lyrical about Deftones and their ilk.

If it makes you feel any better, I hate him after having listen to more than a couple of his songs because I find the music annoying and his re-use of the same lyrics in every song I've heard grating.

I detest AWK. (I detest the Deftones, too) ... AWK's music is about as memorable or enjoyable as Coq Roq's is. One of my bigger laughs at TSM was a year or so ago, when someone nominated him as being an 'underpublicized artist' even though he's been on MTV and VH1 ad nauseum.

The Roots

Little Brother

Wu-Tang

There are people who hate The Roots and Wu-Tang Clan?

^I live in the Midwest, not too many people are into that kind of rap. Its mostly southern and Midwest rap. I usually get "I don't get them, play some south artist" or "they're boring, that doesn't get me hyped up" responses.

The Roots seem pretty well liked in Wisconsin. They totally scorched a rainy Milwaukee last year during Summerfest...and seem to stop by the Rave on every tour. My last band was doing a jam of Seed 2.0 at most of our gigs a couple months back and that always went over nicely.

But, radiorap is far more popular around here. Spose that goes for everywhere though.

I'm a pretty big Depeche Mode fan, and I'll never apologize for it. Also, Erasure aren't too bad in my book either.

^I live in the Midwest, not too many people are into that kind of rap. Its mostly southern and Midwest rap. I usually get "I don't get them, play some south artist" or "they're boring, that doesn't get me hyped up" responses.

I know exactly what you mean...

Andrew W.K. is rather brilliant, but you knew that.
Do you mean like "MENSA-level intelligence" or "writes amazing songs" when you say brilliant? If it's the former, no, I didn't know that. If it's the latter, I laugh out loud.

I'm a pretty big Depeche Mode fan, and I'll never apologize for it.
Depeche Mode is awesome ... people only hate them because they think it's ghey to like them.

I'm a pretty big Depeche Mode fan, and I'll never apologize for it. Also, Erasure aren't too bad in my book either.

Testify. '80s Euro synthpop gets as much love as it does derision, which is unfortunate, because it was such a breath of fresh air in contrast to all the crap that was on the radio at the time. Erasure's The Innocents will probably be one of my Top 20 favourite albums for all time.

As for my list:

Tool

Hanson

Matchbook Romance

Coheed and Cambria

No Use For A Name

Nirvana

Indigo Girls

Andrew W.K. is rather brilliant, but you knew that.
Do you mean like "MENSA-level intelligence" or "writes amazing songs" when you say brilliant? If it's the former, no, I didn't know that. If it's the latter, I laugh out loud.

The latter. I think with him you either get it or you don't. The man is absolutely the best at what he sets out to accomplish and I think his is a worthwhile goal.

Depeche Mode's great, though I always want to kick Martin Gore in the nuts after hearing "Somebody" or any of his other big-time weepers.

Lots of people I know love AWK. When my housemate and I both bought "I Get Wet" at Reading 2 years ago, people in neighbouring tents loved the late night AWK sessions. Lets face it-the man loves to party!

Add My Chemical Romance to my list.

Yes, they have a terribly gay gimmick that is simply used to rope in angsty teenagers.  I find their music to be really listenable despite that.

I freely admit to owning their CD, fuck the haters...

I'll never doubt Andrew WK's genius in writing extremely simple songs used for partying, because that's the only way I can stand his music: if it's background noise at a party. I respect him for getting popular on something so dumb, so simple, and yet so few people aim to do it. Same reason why I love Lil' Jon: he became popular because of how stupid his stuff is, but that's why people love it, and you know that he's rolling in huge piles of money going "wow, these people are idiots if they think all I know how to say are WWWHAT, YEEEEAH, and OOKAAAAAY."

People hate Tool and Nirvana?

^ With a passion. Both bands.

Thats too bad. Retarded is the new black...

So, liking different music is retarded, huh? Good to know. If possible, send me a list of what I need to like so I can toe the line and be smart like you.

Douche.

while I like Tool, I can see why people don't like them, sometimes their songs get tedious...I'm not a Nirvana fan, don't own any of the albums...Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains were my grunge bands of choice...

Hate is a pretty strong word. Bands such as Nirvana and Tool have obvious talent and (in their time anyway) serious commitment to the creation of new art. Its cool if you dont personally enjoy these bands...but to 'hate' them (especially vocally) is no more than a shout for sophomoric attention. It is retarded.

I hate John Coltrane. ;)

Hey, I didn't use 'hate' ... the cat that started the thread did. I'd word it this way:

Tool and Nirvana are two bands that I don't like to listen to. If I hear them on the radio, I change it. If I hear them at the bar, I wish I wasn't. When they were big enough to be on MTV, I refused to watch the videos.

By a literal definition, I'm too apathetic about them to hate them. But I don't like them at all.

And don't let che v see the Coltrane reference ... please.

That's cool.

The only bands that approach the 'hate' level for me would be like Godsmack, Puddle of Mudd etc for the blatant disrespectful copying of AiC, Nirvana etc. And Limp Bizkit for the 'Behind Blue Eyes' butchering and the new guitarist search bullshit.

And, I like (and hugely respect) John Coltrane. I was making a reference to how some people try to disparage bands like Zeppelin etc to sound 'underground credible' or something.