TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

Any First Time Viewers Tonight?

During the interview that I did with Dangerous A for the Danger Zone this weekend, he asked me about TNA and how long I've been watching it. I know that most of you in this forum are faithful TNA viewers, but how many of you are actually watching the TNA product for the first time or know anyone who will be tonight?

I'd say that's a good indicator of the kind of word of mouth/advertising/promotion that's being generated.

Dames

I bought one (count 'em, one) TNA PPV way back in '02 and never touched it again. Not for lack of interest but for economic reasons, mostly

I will be watching tonight out of curiousity.

Guest *KNK*

I was never a follower per se, in the sense I would pay money to watch the weekly ppvs and follow the FSN shows but I did order a couple 3 hour PPV's out of boredom and slight appeal.

I like the roster and the potential it has to offer something different and fresher then WWE.

I'll be following this for as long as my interest holds up.

Guest wildpegasus

I've seen a couple of telecasts and a few matches but that's been about it. I'll be checking out some of the show tonight.

Guest Rrrsh

1st show top to bottom. Saw spurts of show before, nothing more than a match here and there.

I watched it quite a bit in 2002 but once I saw too much of Russo and Paul Bearer on my TV I tuned out. Then for no good reason I picked up watching again in 2003 and watched again for a little while, till I moved to my own apt. and getting weekly PPVs wasn't exactly a priority.

Yeah I'm still a little baffled as to what the big deal is with Monty Brown. I saw him when I first used to watch TNA in 2002 or so and he didn't really impress me then. I couldn't tell tonight if he's improved much since he just squashed some jobber.

I've been watching since the very first weekly PPV in June 02. I ordered most of those Wed. night PPVs, saw all the iMPACTs! on FSN and have seen all the monthly PPVs. I was SO SO happy to see them on SpikeTV. The first show was exactly what it needed to be. Sahadi is the freakin' man. The Prince Nana/James Earl Jones dude is the freakin' man. Mike Tenay is the freakin' man. Scott D'amore....well you get the picture. The people BEHIND the company right now are making it look as slick and professional as it ever has, and the product itself is the best and tightest it's ever been. AJ Styles and Monty Brown totally came off as stars, the X division is going to get over huge and even Jarrett did ok considering the people in charge are totally using him to transition to someone and Nash is ok in that he seems to take his role seriously and last time he was around he worked hard. Team 3D was a great suprise. Oh did I mention the Orlando fans? They freakin' rule too and show so much energy and passion. TNA made WWE look antiquated and slow paced. The pace was frenetic and will hook people. Next week should be great and hopefully everyone orders Bound For Glory.

YAY TNA~!!!!

Guest Fook_Theta

edit: Hah, following the "MONTY BROWN IS GONNA RAPE YOUR LILY WHITE ASS IF YOU DON'T WATCH" makes this post redundant.

When I first saw him I also thought he was horrible and for a while he was. Then some time before his heel turn he was starting to put on **-*** matches and was developing a better character. After the heel turn things got marginally better until someone gave him the bright idea to continue with his weird Warrior-ish promos.

I was surprised when he started being more consistantly good, so there's always the chance he'll go back to being a big mean ex-football player that has been taught some ring skills.

Yeah I'm still a little baffled as to what the big deal is with Monty Brown.  I saw him when I first used to watch TNA in 2002 or so and he didn't really impress me then.  I couldn't tell tonight if he's improved much since he just squashed some jobber.

Monty is an aquired taste. You have to see a lot of him to appreciate him. He has loads of charisma and gives the most unique and awesome interviews in wrestling. He's just so crazy and psychotic but in a funny/goofy way but so intense. The POUNCEEEEEE is a great move for the fans to call for and anticipate and he hits it with an explosiveness that kills his opponents dead. Plus the little things like the facial expressions, the sniffing the air and the marking the ropes are all the things that will help establish him as a complete character. Give him a chance to grow on you.

Could you imagine never seeing The Rock and then you see The People's Elbow for the first time and thinking to yourself, what the fuck is the big deal about an elaborate elbow?

The POUNCE will get over huge.

Dames

I said it in the main thread but, fuck, I was just glad to be able to watch a wrestling show and not deal with divas or bad sketch comedy

Also, REAL CROWD INTERACTION

Except now that WWE has a better version of the big black man, I think Monty will not be as over as some people might think...

How and why is Lashley better? Better technically, sure, but he's also been better at boring the shit out of me during his first two appearances. Monty's got that energy factor, charisma, there's no comparison

Except now that WWE has a better version of the big black man, I think Monty will not be as over as some people might think...

How and why is Lashley better? Better technically, sure, but he's also been better at boring the shit out of me during his first two appearances. Monty's got that energy factor, charisma, there's no comparison

Agreed. His first match against Dean was good, harmless fun, but they wanted to make this guy a Brock/Monty hybrid and failed horribly this week. He took too much offense, and then TNA turned it around and made Monty look like a total monster by killing Lex Lovett.

Lashley has the credentials, but Monty's got him everywhere else so far.

Monty is miles more entertaining than Lashley to me. I'll take the insanely hilarious and "oh my god, you could kill me" appeal of Monty over Mr. WWE.

Give me Joe and Monty and you have my money. Well, not yet. I'm kinda broke. But when I have money to spend, definately will have my money. Lashley does not make me want to buy a Smackdown PPV. Brown makes me want to buy a TNA PPV.

My first TNA ppv was in September or October of 2002... it featured the first Syxx Pac/AJ Styles match for the X title.

I remember enjoying it because I was sick of WWE at the time (oh, how little has changed) and wanted an alternative. I thought this show was just okay, but I liked it enough to order it more later on and become gradually more impressed.

I have watched matches and PPVs wherever I could, mostly by downloading, but I relied on Dames' and bps' reviews to keep me up to speed, and they did. There were times where I felt like I was actually watching the action.

I have watched Impact on FSN whenever I could, and I have been looking forward to this ever since I caught wind of Spike landing TNA.

The show was good for what it was and what it will be for about a month or so: showcasing their top talent and explaining storylines. November will be a definite turning point, once they accomplish the first step.

Guest MikeSC
Monty is miles more entertaining than Lashley to me. I'll take the insanely hilarious and "oh my god, you could kill me" appeal of Monty over Mr. WWE.

Give me Joe and Monty and you have my money. Well, not yet. I'm kinda broke. But when I have money to spend, definately will have my money. Lashley does not make me want to buy a Smackdown PPV. Brown makes me want to buy a TNA PPV.

Give me a guy who doesn't virulently suck in the ring and on the mic over Monty, thanks just the same.

I'll take a guy who at least looks like he has the slimmest clue what to do in the ring.

I agree. Monty can sell me a ppv. He just has IT.

About the Pounce. I still think it is more about the sell than about the move. When he hits someone like Jeff Hardy, AJ or Ron Killings, it looks like a lethal finishing move because those guys no how to take it like they were hit by a truck. it didn't really look like that Saturday. They should have picked a better jobber.

I watched the AJ Styles match at my girl's father's house. I basically lied and told him that AJ Styles was almost an olympic gymnast. Which i don't know if that's true or not. but I figured that would spike a little interest, and it did. Right away he said AJ was WAY too big to a gymnast. He said he was on steriods, then I told him AJ is like 5'8", and he really is pretty small. So he watched and was impressed with the match for the most part. He is far from a wrestling fan, I think he was impressed with the moves and athleticism.

Haha that's sad that you have to lie about wrestling to gain some respectability with him.

I didn't lie to gain respectability for myself, I have a very good relationship with him, I lied to gain some respect for wrestling. Which I think, maybe he does respect it a little more now. But thanks for jumping to conclusions.