TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

World Series-Astros vs White Sox

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they just don't think a dome looks as good on TV, and they want FOX to be able to pan to the night sky.

No need for crazy conspiracy theories.

Similarly, Selig said he doesn't care personally, but MLB has always had control of domes in World Series play and they made Arizona open their roof in 2001. They want to set a consistent standard, he said.

What would happen if the Astros refused to open it? Would they be fined? Would MLB hold up the game or threaten them with forfeit? What is stopping the Astros from telling them to fuck off and leaving it closed?

Bruiser, I don't necessarily disagree with you ... I do think that MLB should have NO say in whether the roof is open or not.

But it doesn't make sense to compare the grandest stage of all (the World Series) with the NLDS or NLCS. And to say that MLB is purposely rigging it so the White Sox have a better chance of winning is laughable.

Since when did Bud Selig ever consider consistency when making a ruling?

MLB is basically saying there are a different set of rules come World Series time than there are during any other point of the season. Consistency my ass.

This is coming from someone who doesn't give a shit which team wins. I'm just tired of Selig trying to insult my intelligence everytime he opens his mouth.

Adding the break Jermaine Dye got with the foul hit by pitch, and now the roof closing, it's safe to say the White Sox are taking it this year. They're getting championship team breaks here.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has apologized after Astros second baseman Craig Biggio's wife was slapped by a male fan in Chicago.

The incident happened Sunday night in the stands at U.S. Cellular Field, where the White Sox beat Houston in Game 2 of the World Series.

Guillen issued a public apology on behalf of his organization.

"I feel like it's our fault, and I talked to (Biggio) about it, and he knows we're sorry," Guillen said. "He knows it was something we couldn't control. It wasn't like a fight. (The fan) hit the lady and left."

Biggio says his wife, Patty, wasn't hurt. Biggio says the fan slapped his wife then tried to run away -- before the player's brother-in-law ended up "putting him against the wall."

Biggio and his wife issued a statement Tuesday saying that they did not intend to file a complaint.

"I'm not going to sit here and hold all the Chicago fans accountable for this for one guy who was acting like an idiot," Craig Biggio said.

Astros manager Phil Garner says it's his understanding that the fan had been gouging her a bit, pulling Patty Biggio's hair and doing some other "stupid things."

Biggio told a Houston TV station that the fan messed with the wrong woman.

"It's just unfortunate," Biggio said. "One guy just thought he was being funny and decided to slap my wife upside the head. I guess his misfortune was, you know, you don't do that to a Jersey girl. She chased him down and caught him. We are just going to leave it at that -- nice and simple. It's over with."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Similarly, Selig said he doesn't care personally, but MLB has always had control of domes in World Series play and they made Arizona open their roof in 2001. They want to set a consistent standard, he said.

I thought they made the Blue Jays close the Skydome back when the Blue Jays made it that far.

Back then, according to ballparks.com, the decision was made by the American League. Maybe the policy has changed since then. Either way, the policy for the World Series has never been in the hands of the respective club. That is not to say that this decision is right or wrong, but it does shed some light on the situation from back in the day when each league made decisions for their teams instead of MLB for the World Series.

It's probably a MLB decision now since they changed their management structure and essentially eliminated the AL and NL offices...

Either way, I wish the folks here would quit bitching about it. If Roy Oswalt brings his prime stuff tonight, the roof being open won't matter one bit.

Back then, according to ballparks.com, the decision was made by the American League. Maybe the policy has changed since then. Either way, the policy for the World Series has never been in the hands of the respective club. That is not to say that this decision is right or wrong, but it does shed some light on the situation from back in the day when each league made decisions for their teams instead of MLB for the World Series.

The policy almost certainly changed, as MLB effectively folded each league's leadership in the last ten years and brought it under one umbrella.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has apologized after Astros second baseman Craig Biggio's wife was slapped by a male fan in Chicago.

The incident happened Sunday night in the stands at U.S. Cellular Field, where the White Sox beat Houston in Game 2 of the World Series.

Oh MAN, I didn't even hear about that. What, was he too scared to jump the fence and take Biggio down? It's hardly unprecedented! Classy move.

I'm rooting for the Sox b/c I've been to Chomisky a few times, but the Astros should be allowed to do what they want at their home park, esp. if they we're allowed to do it earlier in the playoffs. When Angles wanted to give out artifecial noisemakers a few years to enhance their homefield advantage, MLB didn't due a thing. I think it's a similar kind of situation. It's not a neutral site, the home team should be allowed to do what it want's within reason, and closing a retractable roof in weather cool by Houston standards if certaintly with in reason.

Shock amongst shocks..the Umps blow another call. The ball hit the blue billboard to the left of the yellow line and should have been ruled in play.

I sure as hell hope that they do institute some sort of replay program, at least for home runs/foul ball calls for next season.

Well, Roy didn't wait too long to put his superstar status into question. Sox are hot, but the guy on the mound sure didn't look anything like the one that set the 'Stros to the WS last Wednesday.