TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

The Shield, season 5, official thread

I thought for a minute there that the strike team ahd actually gotten busted on murder and drug trafficking. Then they pull a fast one on us and show that the bullets were blanks and it was a sting operation. That was beautiful, and I really enjoyed Kavanaugh's hissy fit at the end of the episode. It looks like next week some brutal shit is going to start happening.

Once it got towards the "bust" I figured they would pull a fast one or the rest of the season would be focused on the aftermath. Plus I love the "Well they did beat us in the semi-finals, maybe that's what they meant." But now it's going to be interesting. Either way that was a good episode and gotta' love "Kavanaugh SMASH!" to wrap things up.

Episode definately felt like a ton of stuff got cut out of it, most notably the lacking of a scene to establish why Kavanaugh was getting paranoid that Acaveda was manipulating Vic and IAD for his own amusement when they've gone out of their way to establish that Acaveda is totally committed (even more so than Kavanaugh) to bringing the Strike Team down.

The stuff with Kavanaugh bugging the ST clubhouse right before the start of the episode also seemed rather contrived. It would have made much better sense, in terms of explaining the big triple cross away, if they had Kavanaugh already bugging the place and Ronnie finding the bug back in episode 503 and neutralizing it before the big plan unfurled and they needed it to lead Kavanaugh into their trap.

That said, the "bust" and requisite triple cross was quite obvious and the only real mystery was how Vic found out about the bugged trophy and the fall-out regarding IAD's investigation being derailed by it. I'm suprised that they didn't toss in a reveal where Kavanaugh admits that they can't even arrest Lem after Vic punk'd him due to it looking like petty revenge.

The Claudette/Danny scene was nice for a lot of reasons, most notably the fact that we've not seen the two characters interact at all outside of crime scenes.

As for the baby's father, I'm still holding out that it's Ronnie. His name (Ronnie being short for the six letter, two vowel name "Ronald") fits the TV Guide clue and Danny's comments about the father not knowing he's the dad could be a way to keep Vic off her back regarding Ronnie being the father, for the fact that telling Vic that his nerdy best friend slept with and empregnated Vic's mistress would screw things up in terms of creating an enviroment of akwardness and tension amongst everyone in their tight social circle.

Loved last night's episode. I figured they knew the clubhouse was bugged. I remember them mentioning Ronnie sweeping in the past.

Kavanaugh blowing up is great, the more this guy messes up the more dangerous he's going to get. I love his calm approach with people and then going into his raving psychotic breaks.

I haven't read any spoilers for this season, but after seeing what a prick Kavanaugh can be, I'm not so sure I want his character to disappear. I'm not sure if Kavanaugh is actually going to succeed in bringing the Strike Team down, but I am certain of what I feel his fate could be. I think we will see Vic "pull a Terry" on him.

I haven't read any spoilers for this season, but after seeing what a prick Kavanaugh can be, I'm not so sure I want his character to disappear. I'm not sure if Kavanaugh is actually going to succeed in bringing the Strike Team down, but I am certain of what I feel his fate could be. I think we will see Vic "pull a Terry" on him.

[Note the following spoiler bars mask MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS for the rest of the season. Read at your own risk if you want to stay unspoiled]

Killing Kavanaugh won't be an option for Vic since Kavanaugh

is going to turn just about everyone against Vic in the next couple of episodes with some really nasty shit he's going to reveal to a bunch of key characters. And Vic's going to take a back seat for Kavanaugh as well when Kavanaugh starts investigating Acaveda over his ties to Antwon Mitchell, which in turn puts Acaveda back into Vic's orbit enemywise when Acaveda takes it upon himself to try and turn Lem against the rest of the Strike Team by going behind Kavanaugh's back to the DA and offering to get Lem a one-year prison sentence in exchange for Lem pleading guilty to minor corruption charges in hopes of shutting down Kavanaugh's investigation of him and Antwon once Lem gets turned into the department's Judas Goat. Before the season's out, Kavanaugh/Lem/Vic/Acaveda/Shane will be stuck in the mother of all darkest hour moments where Vic has to find a way to sacrifice either Shane, Lem, or Acaveda to Kavanaugh and IAD in order to save the Strike Team, with the poor sacrificial lamb going to jail and being essentially written out of the show as a direct result.

[Note the following spoiler bars mask MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS for the rest of the season. Read at your own risk if you want to stay unspoiled]

Killing Kavanaugh won't be an option for Vic since Kavanaugh

is going to turn just about everyone against Vic in the next couple of episodes with some really nasty shit he's going to reveal to a bunch of key characters. And Vic's going to take a back seat for Kavanaugh as well when Kavanaugh starts investigating Acaveda over his ties to Antwon Mitchell, which in turn puts Acaveda back into Vic's orbit enemywise when Acaveda takes it upon himself to try and turn Lem against the rest of the Strike Team by going behind Kavanaugh's back to the DA and offering to get Lem a one-year prison sentence in exchange for Lem pleading guilty to minor corruption charges in hopes of shutting down Kavanaugh's investigation of him and Antwon once Lem gets turned into the department's Judas Goat. Before the season's out, Kavanaugh/Lem/Vic/Acaveda/Shane will be stuck in the mother of all darkest hour moments where Vic has to find a way to sacrifice either Shane, Lem, or Acaveda to Kavanaugh and IAD in order to save the Strike Team, with the poor sacrificial lamb going to jail and being essentially written out of the show as a direct result.

Since you mention Antwon Mitchell, will Anthony Anderson be making any appearances before the season is out?

Since you mention Antwon Mitchell, will Anthony Anderson be making any appearances before the season is out?

Supposedly, Anthony Anderson returns as a guest star in either episode 508 or 509.

Also in stunt casting news, Laura Harring (the actress playing the Strike Team's attorny) is going to

have her screen time expanded in the next couple of episodes once Kavanaugh reveals his master plan to indicte the entire team for Terry's murder in the wake of the Strike Team punking him like they did. And Laura's going to have a major problem with a certain member of the Strike Team (two guesses who it is) who after being interogated by Kavanaugh and suprisingly holding his own against him, rebels against the notion of the group having one lawyer/one defense and feels that seperate lawyers may be their only chance at making it out in one piece rather than all going down for a crime that Vic committed

Last episode was great. The temper tantrum Forest threw at the end was awesome, but even better was how pissed he looked when his guys charged in and were made fools of.

"Episode definately felt like a ton of stuff got cut out of it, most notably the lacking of a scene to establish why Kavanaugh was getting paranoid that Acaveda was manipulating Vic and IAD for his own amusement when they've gone out of their way to establish that Acaveda is totally committed (even more so than Kavanaugh) to bringing the Strike Team down."

This has been explained. Vic has been making calls to Acaveda, talking to him, and making it look like they are communicating a lot. He did it once on camera when Lem was around, I assume he's done it a couple times off-camera as well. There is also the fact that Acaveda doesn't seem very impressed by Kavanaugh and that Kavanaugh is a bit on the disturbed side.

This is just so wrong, with the things that Kavanaugh is saying to Vic's wife to get her to turn on him. This guy is just a slimy, egotistical prick. Im really interested in seeing where the storyling with Dutch is going. The black guy that he has been following for a little while is turning into quite the brutal killer. I'm loving this season. I hope they can keep up the suspense.

Corine is a total bitch for dropping the dime on Vic like that tonight. Yeah she probably knew that that money Vic gave her was dirty, but it was for the kids so they could go to school for christsake. And there is no proof at all that Vic is Danny's baby-daddy so I don't get why she got all bent out of shape over that. I hope Vic fucks her up something good.

I think this season is off to a much better start than season 4. With this likely being the last season I think Vic HAS to go down. I can only hope Dutch is the one to do it.

And I'm liking them bringing back the brother and sister from last season. Dutch and Claudette always need one big case each season

Since Kavanaugh got Corrine to admit to taking what remained of the money train cash, think he will be using that against Vic? Does Kavanaugh even know of the money train?

Guest crow2k80

This is almost like the Seinfeld thing. You root for main guys but in the end if they get what they deserve it is just. Even though Lem didn't know about Terry, he has pulled other shit with the team, Ronnie as well.

What I want to know is where the hell is Tavon? Can't he help ghost dog?

I just started watching last week, so I'm just getting to know all the characters and what not. With that, can anyone give my a brief explanation for the money ($65 thousand?) that Vic gave to Corrine? I started reading episode summaries at TV Tome.com, but they don't really include the all the info for episodes.

I just started watching last week, so I'm just getting to know all the characters and what not. With that, can anyone give my a brief explanation for the money ($65 thousand?) that Vic gave to Corrine? I started reading episode summaries at TV Tome.com, but they don't really include the all the info for episodes.

As abbreviated as I can make it...<deep breath>

End of season 2 The Strike Team rips off the Armenian Mobs money laundering ring. Season three they find out that a portion of the money was marked by the Treasury Department, unfortunately some of the money go out<Vic used some o a bust and got jacked, Shane's girlfriend found a key to there storage unit and sent some to her mother>, much of the season was spent trying to find a way to deal with this without getting caught....eventually they got all the marked money out of circulation. But so much had gone down and there was some massive tension in the team, Lem pretty much lost it and to try to keep the money from completely pulling them apart he took the cash and burned it. The rest of the team got to him but not before most of it was gone, the 65k was Vic's share of what was left.

I think that sums it up....I'm sure there will be plenty of others here to fill in anything.

Yeah that's a good summary. Now Vic's ex-wife still has some of the original bills, which may match the numbers they have from Treasury.

As far as getting what they deserve, Vic *has* changed in some ways. Partly because it's hard to do what he does without getting caught, but also because he saw the money train heist pulling apart his team which is really his family now that his real family life is in shambles.

The Strike Team has done a lot more good than harm overall.

It's interesting that they have been able to portray them as sympathetic, even when Vic is continually lying about what happened to Terry.

It's such a great thing they're doing this season. Putting on the pressure. Putting the worst thing Vic's ever done--the first bad thing we ever really saw him do--right in our faces, front and center, reminding us of this great character's one massive terrible deed. The episodes have been excellent overall, but really this whole season is asking a vast question about whether you punish someone for a past sin, assess them for how they've changed, and what it's like to actually root for a murderer. Such great damn TV.

Yeah that's a good summary. Now Vic's ex-wife still has some of the original bills, which may match the numbers they have from Treasury.

If Treasury has those bill numbers, they didn't circulate them to Aceveda...

The Strike Team boosted the copy of the list of bill numbers from Aceveda's safe, pulled out all the bills that appeared, then planted them on their patsy.

If Corrine had any of the missing marked bills, Treasury would have been breathing down her neck instead of Shane's mother-in-law.

Question: Tell me more about the actor leaving The Shield. Was it the actor's decision, or was it dictated by story line? — Rich

Ausiello: Actually, there are two major characters leaving in the mid-season finale on March 21. I'll have more on that in Friday's Ausiello Report. Meanwhile, exec producer Shawn Ryan confirms that Anthony Anderson is returning for two episodes, airing Feb. 28 and March 14. Also, the Feb. 28 episode "is a real change of pace for us," says Ryan. "We're going to focus on the Forest Whitaker character in a way that we've never focused an episode on a character before. It's all about a day in the life of Kavanaugh and you'll see the Strike Team through his eyes as opposed to seeing them as the leads of our show."

024426_Danni.gif

If Treasury has those bill numbers, they didn't circulate them to Aceveda...

The Strike Team boosted the copy of the list of bill numbers from Aceveda's safe, pulled out all the bills that appeared, then planted them on their patsy.

Good call, I forgot about that.

Guest crow2k80

downhome or anyone

Is tavon ever gonna be a factor again? IF not why? How can he just disappear and that whole story with him fade away?

I just figure that if Antwon can come back, Terry be an issue, shouldn't Tavon be somewhere in there?

downhome or anyone

Is tavon ever gonna be a factor again? IF not why? How can he just disappear and that whole story with him fade away?

I just figure that if Antwon can come back, Terry be an issue, shouldn't Tavon be somewhere in there?

Tavon isn't coming back by all accounts, since the actor is pursuing a movie career at the moment.

That said, the easiest way to bring the whole thing up involving Tavon is to have it revealed that Tavon remembered everything about his fight with Mara and Shane and simply faked having lost his memory of the fight and pretended to believe Vic and Lem telling him that he hit Mara to get rid of them out of fear they would hurt him to protect Shane. He then tells Kavanaugh (retcon a connection between the two characters) about what happens and Kavanaugh starts watching Vic and Lem like a hawk, ultimately having the investigatgion of Lem being caught with drugs to him so he can avenge Tavon and explain why Kavanaugh is going after the Strike Team in terms of having a vested interest in the team's defeat and arrest.

BTW some new major rumors/spoilers for the next couple of episodes:

TWO cast members, not just one, are leaving the show at the end of the season. Rumor on the street is that the second departure may just be Forrest Whitaker, since word is that he only signed on for one season before going off to resume his movie career.

Also, a big bit of casting rumor that has yet to be confirmed elsewhere: Gina Torres (aka "Zoe" on Firefly and "Jasmine" on Angel) is rumored to make a guest appearance (possibly uncreditted, ala Katey Sagel) in a future episode this season as Kavanaugh's ex-wife. The rumored storyline is that the former Mrs. Kavanaugh ends up in the middle of a criminal investigation Dutch is heading up, which creates problems for Dutch and Kavanaugh, just as Dutch is about to broker a deal to tell Kavanaugh every single thing he knows about Vic (such as the Money Train heist involvement and the fact that Shane may or may not have witnessed Terry being murdered by Vic) to him.