TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

I'm one of those who doesn't like Kobe for a few reasons. That being said, it was one hell of a display. I usually don't pull something out like this, but it seems true. If it were Jordan, it's called a will to win, .Since it's Kobe, it's being called selfish.

They mentioned Duncan's planter fasciaitis when they played Detroit on ABC last week. I like Duncan, both his personality and his game, so it's quite the bummer.

Guest Princess Leena
Anyone see Kobe's post game interview? First thing he said, was the most important thing was the win, second thing was that he talked about the comeback, and the great defense the team played. So selfish.

Because everything Kobe says is true! There's no lying scumbag in him, at all. Besides, Toronto still managed to score 100+ points with 47% shooting.

It's great that Kobe had an awesome shooting night. What happens when he struggles? The Phoenix game showed that. Wah, Kobe's teammates suck! He has no help! Whatever.

the Lakers played great defense in that game??

they should deal Odom for Artest (if Indy will take it). Odom is not doing much in LA, and a defensive stopper like Psycho RonRon would do great things for the team. Imagine Kobe throwing up 60 points AND RonRon bullying around the other team's star player on defense. they'd be dangerous come playoff time, plus Ron can also be a 2nd scoring option.

One point lost in the shuffle of Kobe's masterful performance is the Lakers needed 81 points from Kobe to beat the Raptors. THE RAPTORS.

Kobe is MVP of the league hands down, but his team isn't very good.

the Lakers played great defense in that game??

they should deal Odom for Artest (if Indy will take it). Odom is not doing much in LA, and a defensive stopper like Psycho RonRon would do great things for the team. Imagine Kobe throwing up 60 points AND RonRon bullying around the other team's star player on defense. they'd be dangerous come playoff time, plus Ron can also be a 2nd scoring option.

Great defense during their big comeback. I fucking hate Lamar Odom by this point. When Kobe's not on the court, he's always looking to get the other guy a shot, and he never tries to assert himself in the offense. The Raptors do have scoring talent, but their problem will always be defense.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah Odom's that kind of player where you're always waiting for him to eventually come around and he just never seems to. Kobe's playing with a bunch of players who can be best described as "maybe laters", but there has been some significant improvement in a couple players, namely Chris Mihm, Smush Parker, and Brian Cook. Devean George has been playing much better than his usual self as well. But even last year Odom was playing better than he is right now.

Interesting new Kobe article.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature/419/2006...kson_announces/

That was a legendary perfomance, and really probably is the best scoring performance in NBA History, because in all reality, Wilt played against players that physically had nothing on him. Kobe scored all of his points in a tougher era.

Also, taking into account that Kobe is a jump shooter and Wilt was not, and that Wilt was playing against guys that were small and skinny, I think that it was just as good of a performance. I won't say better because I nor anyone else here has seen the Wilt 100 game, but I think it was just as good.

If it were Jordan, it's called a will to win, .Since it's Kobe, it's being called selfish.

That's the truth. Jordan scored 69 and no one complained, David Robinson scored 71 and I *believe* no one complained, so that just proves your point.

Guest Princess Leena

The David Robinson 71 was lame, because it was simply to get him the scoring title. That's cheap.

I have no problem with someone scoring 150 if it helps his team. If you're shooting well, keep stroking it.

The problem I do have with Kobe is that he takes far too many shots each game. 35-40% of a team's shots by a SG, every game, is silly. And he has cost the Lakers by jacking up ridiculous shots late in games. This is the NBA, not high school. The other kids know how to put the ball in the basket, too.

Kobe's shooting helps them win more often then not, without him that would be by far the worst team in the NBA.

46 shots seems like a lot, but if they're going in, why pass? The object of basketball isn't to pass the ball to your teammates, it's to put it in the basket more times then the other team does. Kobe is the best player in the league right now, and if they're going in he needs to keep shooting.

Sidenote: Wilt shot 63 times when he scored 100. What a ballhog.

Also, taking into account that Kobe is a jump shooter and Wilt was not, and that Wilt was playing against guys that were small and skinny, I think that it was just as good of a performance. I won't say better because I nor anyone else here has seen the Wilt 100 game, but I think it was just as good.

If it were Jordan, it's called a will to win, .Since it's Kobe, it's being called selfish.

That's the truth. Jordan scored 69 and no one complained, David Robinson scored 71 and I *believe* no one complained, so that just proves your point.

I remember a lot of people thought The Admiral's 71 was bullshit since he knew exactly how many points he needed to steal the scoring title from Shaq that year and the Spurs were going to allow him every opportunity to get it.

When Kobe was playing with Shaq and jacking up 40 shots a night and lost, that was selfish and hurt his team. With the rest of the Lakers being what they are now, him jacking up 40 shots a night is actually helping the team on a nightly basis. I'm not sure if this is a result of his team being so sucky, him being so good or both, but it's working and I have no problem with it.

When Kobe was playing with Shaq and jacking up 40 shots a night and lost, that was selfish and hurt his team. With the rest of the Lakers being what they are now, him jacking up 40 shots a night is actually helping the team on a nightly basis. I'm not sure if this is a result of his team being so sucky, him being so good or both, but it's working and I have no problem with it.

Count me in the Kobe defender camp. The fact is that he started taking all the shots and it brought the Lakers from being down by 18 to winnning the game by 18. The game against Dallas where he had 62 through three quarters, the Lakers were up by 32 when he exited the game. The fact is that when he takes all those shots, it's usually because he's shooting better than his teammates, and it's the best way for the Lakers to win.

One more stat from the 81-point game:

Kobe: 28-46

Rest of team: 14-42

ARTEST TRADED FOR PEJA

The Indiana Pacers have agreed to trade Ron Artest to the Sacramento Kings in exchange for Peja Stojakovic pending league approval, ESPN's Jim Gray has confirmed Tuesday.

The deal closes a chapter in the Pacers' latest drama involving the volatile star forward.

Artest was a key component to a team that was expected to challenge for the Eastern Conference crown. He led the league in steals and was the Pacers' second-leading scorer at 19.4 points a game before being deactivated after publicly requesting a trade in early December.

In five years with the Pacers, Artest was an All-Star once and was the NBA's defensive player of the year in 2003-04.

Pacers GM Larry Bird said the Pacers had been interested in Corey Maggette of the Los Angeles Clippers, but there was "no question" that Maggette's sprained left foot affected the process. Maggette averaged 21.7 points in 13 games before getting injured in early December.

The Pacers have lost four of their last five games, including Monday to the Atlanta Hawks, who have the NBA's worst record.

Neither team really had anything to lose in the deal since Peja will never again be the guy who was at one time an MVP candidate midway through a season. I don't think he will help Indiana all that much, but given that they probably gained sanity in trading Artest away, I'd say that both teams did alright.

Well, I'm not alfdogg, but as a fellow Kings Fan, I have this to say:

Hit the road, Jack, and don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more...

Hit the road, Jack, and don't you come back no more...

(What you say?)

Hit the road, Jack, and don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more...

Hit the road, Jack, and don't you come back no more...

(Well?)

... Don't you come back no more...

(Uh, what you say?)

(I didn't understand you.)

(You can't mean that!)

Indiana seems to think they can get some type of major contribution out of peja...as why would you make this deal if you can't sign him longterm (they probably came to some type of an understanding with Peja beforehand) and if you're gonna sign him longterm, that means you feel he fits into their scheme.

Can Carlisle get him to play some type of defense...can Peja even PLAY defense?!?!

Honestly i think Brad Miller would have helped Indiana out WAY more than Peja, but maybe they really feel he's going to thrive in their system. I doubt Sac wanted to get rid of Miller anyhow.

the Kings could become really good, really fast with Artest's energy as long as Garcia and Kevin Martin can continue to play/shoot well. Instant defensive improvement.

I really question this from Indiana's perspective (I'm sure they preferred the idea of getting Corey Maggette and are if possible more upset about his injury than the clippers right now)...maybe they're going trade Peja for a different piece/draft picks?

I'm really not sure about this. I thought the Atlanta and Clippers deals were much better from an overall standpoint.

So much for the Artest/Peja deal since Ron decided he didn't want to play in Sacramento. What a bitch.

This is a blessing in disguise for Indiana. The only place on the West Coast that he'll go is L.A., and we all know it.