TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Brokeback Mountain

Well, there's no pudding, but I do find it funny how 2 episodes of South Park have made relevant comments about films that were made years after.

I just saw this movie tonight after my girlfriend told me all week she wanted to see it, and if it weren't for

the joy of seeing Anne Hathaway's breasts

, this movie would be a total loss.

I didn't see a thread for this movie by itself anywhere else in the forum, so I made one.

The L-A-Z hated this piece of S-H-I-T, and if this wins the Academy Award for Best Picture, then I guess the Academy is going to have to overlook pacing, direction, editing, and acting.

I didn't think it was the greatest movie ever, but I thought it was good enough.

A bit slow at times, but there was some great acting, and I did end up caring about the characters so it wasn't a total loss.

Michelle Williams did a very good job. Anna Faris was wasted.

Alberta looked beautiful and I enjoyed the score.

I saw this last night... Better than what I expected it to be.

That first tent scene was fucking intense, as it was a bit too much take in, but after that, I sort of got used to seeing Jake and Ennis together. The characters grew on me.

And yes, seeing Anne Hathaway's and Michelle Williams' hooters made it all worthwhile...

A question about the ending though...

The story that Jake's wife told Ennis, about how Jake died, was completely made up because Ennis has a flashback to Jake getting beat up by 4 guys. If Ennis didn't know that Jake died, howcome he had the flashback?

I thought it was a great movie - and it had to be slow at first, to show how the relationship actually developed.

as for the

Jack death scene... it's all up to interpretation. It could be that they shwed how he actually died, or maybe both of the characters thought in their heads what actually happened... I dunno.

I'd see it again.

I imagine

The death scene was what really happened. I don't imagine Ennis knew about it, and the wife just might have. I think it was just for the audiances benifit

As for the movie I wasn't blown away. Hell, the sex scene got more laughs in the theater than anything. It was a decient movie, but something I won't need to see again. Don't believe the hype.

And yes, Anne's breats were great

Well, there's no pudding, but I do find it funny how 2 episodes of South Park have made relevant comments about films that were made years after.

What was the other?

Also, I'd imagine laughing at a gay sex scene would occur in many audiences regardless of how it was done. I'm only going to watch the dvd, so I can't judge for myself.

The L-A-Z hated this piece of S-H-I-T, and if this wins the Academy Award for Best Picture, then I guess the Academy is going to have to overlook pacing, direction, editing, and acting

Fantastic movie review, Lazarus. You really validated your opinion. I'm really glad you started this thread to share your insight.

I haven't seen it, but from the clips that I've seen here and there I must say that "I wish I knew how to quit you!" is one of the worst lines of all time, both in quality and in the delivery of the line.

If I had known Miss Hathaway was going to show her frannies, I wouldn't have rented that abysmal movie "Havoc", although seeing Bijou Phillips's brand spankin' new boobies almost made up for it. Almost.

I hope the following dialogue is in Brokeback Mountain:

-Dude! Show me your weenis!

-Look at my hard dick, isn't it rad?

-Dude, I'm so fuckin' horny!

-Well then SUCK that shit!

Guest Evolution

Not even close to that in-your-face homosexuality, way less gay than I thought it was going to be, good cinematography, but VERY slow in spots and ultimately overrated.

The L-A-Z hated this piece of S-H-I-T, and if this wins the Academy Award for Best Picture, then I guess the Academy is going to have to overlook pacing, direction, editing, and acting

Fantastic movie review, Lazarus. You really validated your opinion. I'm really glad you started this thread to share your insight.

Forgive me for wanting to get the post up and my immediate feelings and still get sleep seeing as how I had to get to bed if I wanted any sleep before work.

Pacing:

The first 20 minutes of the movie is basically nothing more than explaining their jobs. That's okay. But then the gay sex comes out of NOWHERE. Quite LITERALLY out of nowhere,

as Jack Twist (Gyllenhall) invites Ennis (Ledger) into the tent as it's freezing cold outside of it and the fire's died down, and all of a sudden BAM! Anal.

After that the movie is 90 minutes of dull conversations with some minor bright spots here and there.

Direction:

The camera seemed to not be focused on what was going on on-screen for a good portion of the film. Whereas the focal point of the scene would be, say, Jack and Ennis talking by a fire, the camera would be aimed at the creek beside them, almost as if they were an afterthought. This could have been entirely on purpose, but it made the movie hard to watch visually. Maybe I've been spoiled by the way that Raimi can hold a camera, but the photography irked me and made it a task in and of itself to watch the movie.

Editing:

NEARLY EVERY SINGLE CUT IS A FADE. It's like the editor was still in film school, or just REALLY liked the fade button and/or kept pressing it by accident while rubbing one out to Anne's boobs (for the 3 seconds they were seen). It's not even as if scenes would fade into one another, but they'd fade to black...and then fade FROM black into the next scene. This is a good cut when used sparingly, but when used as excessively as it was here (most notably in the last 20 minutes of the movie, so that the viewer thinks that the movie is over 4 or 5 times before it actually is)? Poor editing.

Acting:

Heath Ledger was good as Ennis. Anne was good as...Charlize, was it? I can't even remember her character's name. The actresses who played Ennis' daughters, especially his oldest one Elma Jr., were decent. Gyllenhall was lame as he would go from his usual wide-eyed "tard" style to his overly-pouty face (ie. all of Donnie Darko). And the most experienced actor with a major character in the whole film, Randy Quaid, just mailed it in as if he just wanted to collect his paycheck. It didn't help that Ledger's accent sounded overly forced and mumbled to the point where it was hard to understand a single word he was saying.

This is one of the few movies I really wish I hadn't spent the full ticket price on. Even a piece of shit like Bewitched had its redeeming qualities (like Will Ferrell showing that he knew the movie was awful and just having a good time hamming it up, and Michael Caine as a whole). I can't think of much of a reason why anybody should see this movie outside of it being a mainstream picture getting some Oscar buzz. There are films that have gay main characters that do it better, and films about cowboys that do it better.

And Milky, the other one would be The Ringer. The Farrelly brothers had the idea for years before the South Park episode aired, but since the movie is basically just the premise of that one episode, I counted it.

I saw Brokeback and I have to agree with Lazarus for the most part here. It was a decent movie, but it's tremendously overrated and nowhere near Oscar material in my opinion.

For a movie that's supposed to focus on the passion of one relationship, the relationship's just not done well at all. As Lazarus said, they go from barely talking to each other to full on anal in about ten seconds. There's no setup at all. For comparison's sake, Nip/Tuck spent way more effort setting up the sex scene between Quentin and the soldier than Brokeback did with Ennis and Jack.

Also, the movie's real choppy and doesn't have much of a plot to hold it together. They have their first summer in the mountains together, and then their first reunion four years later, but after that, it's all "Can you come visit next month? Well I'm not sure, but I hope so", and those scenes go on for a good half an hour. You never have any idea how much time has passed (although we eventually find out it's another 15 years) and they don't even bother to age the characters other than giving Gyllenhaal a ratty little mustache. There's no flow at all at this point as it's just seemingly random scenes of the two men either together or apart with no connecting thread whatsoever.

And finally, the performances just weren't all that good. Jake Gyllenhaal just comes off as a creepy horndog as he alternates between disinterest, purely sexual interest, and then a couple scenes where he's all of a sudden madly in love. Ledger, meanwhile, does give a good performance, but he seems more like a straight man who likes to experiment with guys occasionally than someone deeply in love with another man. Also, he's really bad in the opening sex scene as there's no indication that he's softening to the idea of homosexuality whatsoever until he starts railing Jack in the ass.

All in all, I'd say that Brokeback is a perfect example of what hype and controversy can do for a movie. There's so much discussion about whether audiences will accept a gay love story that people are completely ignoring all the shortcomings in the acting and directing. Honestly, this movie is ** or **1/2 tops, and it will be the death knell for the Academy's credibility if they give it Best Picture.

I haven't seen it, but from the clips that I've seen here and there I must say that "I wish I knew how to quit you!" is one of the worst lines of all time, both in quality and in the delivery of the line.

Didn't you already get flamed enough over at DVDTalk for passing judgment on a movie you haven't seen and taking the mentioned line out of context?

My two cents.

Concerning the ending, I thought of it as the wife saying one thing, and Ennis interpreting it as what he thinks really happened. In the book, I was told by a friend, Jack's father kills him. I don't think they went that route here, but I do believe they left it up to interpretation. The wife telling the truth, or is Ennis 'seeing' it?

Hell, the sex scene got more laughs in the theater than anything.

Unfortunately, I was also of the immature, sophmoric crowd. While they didn't laugh for the sex scene - dead silence, in fact - anytime the two characters were spotted (Ennis's wife seeing the kiss, the ranger seeing the two shirtless) it got a chuckle. The 'Jack nasty!' also caused a few snickers. Quite uncomfortable viewing experience, actually.

NEARLY EVERY SINGLE CUT IS A FADE.

The editor in me winced with all the fades. Well, not -every- cut, just from one scene to the next. I think this was used to transport us through the necessary time transitions. However, as someone else points out later, the characters were aged so little that the only way the audience had to judge time was by each respective duo of offspring. Jack grew a moustache and a middle-aged man's pot-belly, yet Ennis didn't appear to age at all.

It didn't help that Ledger's accent sounded overly forced and mumbled to the point where it was hard to understand a single word he was saying.

I think this was entirely intentional. He's the type of guy who wouldn't say much, nor open up. I think this has something to do with his bastard of a father. After all, if a dad would show his young kids the scene of a brutal murder, who else knows what he did? Probably the kind of guy who thinks any type of emotion of sentimentality is 'queer', a trait passed on to Ennis.

Jake Gyllenhaal just comes off as a creepy horndog as he alternates between disinterest, purely sexual interest, and then a couple scenes where he's all of a sudden madly in love. Ledger, meanwhile, does give a good performance, but he seems more like a straight man who likes to experiment with guys occasionally than someone deeply in love with another man.

Unfortunately, I have to somewhat agree here. While I don't think the two would immediately start writing sonnets and serenading one another before they leave Brokeback, they were a bit too repressed in their personalities - at least with Ennis - to the point that we couldn't quite get a feel for what they were thinking. Jack visiting Mexico for once a month, or whenever, and then getting all bitchy when Ennis opts to spend the day with his kids really disconnected me from the character. I understand he's posessive, and understand his angst for only getting to see Ennis so rarely, and yet... it didn't seem that he was really in love, just incredibly horny. Aside from the two living in different states, the two refusing to meet up for anything other than a booty call was really sad -- sad as in this story could've been much more.

With all of that said, I'll be the first to root on for its Oscar win - just as I will be for 'Corpse Bride' ^^ - as, hell, just being nominated is a step toward mainstream acceptance. Kinda like with Ray... the movie itself wasn't good (though, admittedly, Foxx did a superb job) but it was the essential greenlight for other biopics.

I brought this up on another board, but I want to get you guy's two cents on it. Do you all think this movie would have gotten the attention that it has, if it were about a more traditional man/woman relationship as opposed to a homosexual relationship? It seems to me that this movie is getting praise from critics and the majority of those that go to see it because they are afraid to give it a potentially less than positive review at the risk of being labeled a 'homophobe'.

I will admit that I have not seen this movie. Not because of the homosexual material, but because it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not too big on romance movies.